Gyms/Fitness Centers near Plaza

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Gyms/Fitness Centers near Plaza

Post by NDTeve »

Anybody know of options to join gyms or fitness centers near the Plaza? I belong to Woodside and am an not a huge fan. Wanting something cheaper than $120 a month and was hoping there was a place someone knew of that might be a better alternative. Less crowded and Douchy.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gyms/Fitness Centers near Plaza

Post by chrizow »

NDTeve wrote: Less crowded and Douchy.
we belong to Woodside as well, and i thought it was crowded and douchey too, until i started working out at the location across the street from the "main" center with the bar and stuff.  it's never crowded, and it's not douchey at all!  you should go over there.
mary
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mary »

UMKC has community memberships.  I think it's $120 for three months, cheaper if you buy a longer membership.  They have nice remodeled locker rooms, pool, decent equipment and free weights, indoor track.  I've gone there for over 10 years.  It has a nice mix of students, faculty and community people.  There aren't too many classes, though, and you do have to pay extra for them.  A parking pass costs a little more too.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Scott Fitness at 43rd and State Line and at Broadway and Valentine.  $40 or $60/couple with no contract.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

The 43rd and State Line location is closing.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I would highly recommend both Scott Fitness (new, large location at the Uptown Shops) and UMKC. 

UMKC has a great 2nd floor indoor track that circles the fieldhouse, a lot of equipment, nice light, good mix of people.  Location right next to Plaza. 

Scott Fitness, while in a slightly dingy new location, has a ton of good classes (gf LOVES a couple of them), nice equipment, lots of local art and a great vibe.  Cheap, too.
are we spinning free?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

you could always roid up and hit the Westport Golds' 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: you could always roid up and hit the Westport Golds' 
And go tanning.  :lol:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

We belong to Woodside and Scott.  We use woodside primarily for the pool in the summer, though I can vouch that the area across the street from the main building is much less crowded (though without the nice locker rooms).  I've actually always thought of it as the "women's" section.  Not a huge fan of Woodside for the weight-lifting, too crowded.  I agree with you on the price though.  Ouch!

Love the broadway location of Scott for weight-lifting, cardio and the Westside location for Zumba!

You'd think we'd be in better shape given that we pay for two gym memberships.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I thought the Golds in Westport was more for lockerroom fun....
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Thanks for the insight everyone!! Think we're joining UMKC...too good and close to pass up.
- Mark Twain
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

Someone also mentioned that the Roanoke Community Center has a pretty decent equipment selection.  $20/month or pay by the day
http://www.kcmo.org/CKCMO/Depts/Parksan ... /index.htm
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or under Waldo, but I'm very excited about this gym coming to Waldo....  Has anyone seen this?  Presale, yes please....

http://www.citygymkc.com/