Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Transportation topics in KC
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Post by Noahfleshman »

Didn’t KCATA purchase the giant old Kmart Lot over off vivion and Antioch up north, and plans on using it for a bus hub, and mixed use area?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:13 am Didn’t KCATA purchase the giant old Kmart Lot over off vivion and Antioch up north, and plans on using it for a bus hub, and mixed use area?
Yes.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:13 am Didn’t KCATA purchase the giant old Kmart Lot over off vivion and Antioch up north, and plans on using it for a bus hub, and mixed use area?
I believe that is still within KCMO city limits.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Also coming in the near future, KCK will be doing a comprehensive service analysis with KCATA for all of it's service. Let's see where this goes....not hopeful.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Drama about removing KCATA from the ballot language for Nov transportation tax renewal over past 24 hours, will remain.

Bunch talking about raising transportation tax from 3/8 to 1/2 cent, potentially in a nearer term than this 10-year renewal.

Robinson called it a regressive tax (bc it's a sales tax), noting incentives can impact the funding as well. Finance director clarified that TIF starting past 2008/9 actually isn't impacting transportation tax.

Frank White III spoke, noted "restarting conversations with laborers, Local 1287." Having a State of KCATA presentation next month, regional focus "got to get UG, JoCo, Cass at the table." Mentioned World Cup.

Sunrise Movement showed up in support of the renewal, some unique comments.
Last edited by bspecht on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LOL they redirect money from the 1/2-cent all the time!

Freedom and the union pressed hard to restore KCATA to the ballot language.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Sunrise Movement held a "Better Buses" rally at City Hall today (a Thursday in which Council is not present): https://twitter.com/sunrisemvmtkc/statu ... 3461583160
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

bspecht wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:52 pm Sunrise Movement held a "Better Buses" rally at City Hall today (a Thursday in which Council is not present): https://twitter.com/sunrisemvmtkc/statu ... 3461583160
They also celebrated the Main and Armour Mac project faltering, which was textbook TOD, so this group can piss off with their Hypocrisy.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:49 pm
bspecht wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:52 pm Sunrise Movement held a "Better Buses" rally at City Hall today (a Thursday in which Council is not present): https://twitter.com/sunrisemvmtkc/statu ... 3461583160
They also celebrated the Main and Armour Mac project faltering, which was textbook TOD, so this group can piss off with their Hypocrisy.
I still can't believe that project died. It would have been by far the best thing that has happened to Midtown in decades. That project was totally transformative. I mean it's hard to even describe how much that single project would have changed and rebranded Midtown.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:34 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:49 pm
I still can't believe that project died. It would have been by far the best thing that has happened to Midtown in decades. That project was totally transformative. I mean it's hard to even describe how much that single project would have changed and rebranded Midtown.
Believe and never forget who killed it.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I imagine the sales tax renewal vote will pass with around 70% of the vote. Number largely boosted because I expect turnout will be lower with no big issues on the ballot (looking at the sample ballot, KCMO has the transit sales tax and the sale of an unused park on the ballot. Jackson County has a sales tax request for a multitude of things).

I registered to vote shortly after I moved to Downtown, but am not sure if I'm eligible to vote yet because I moved downtown at the end of June, so I'm sitting this one out.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:50 pm I imagine the sales tax renewal vote will pass with around 70% of the vote. Number largely boosted because I expect turnout will be lower with no big issues on the ballot (looking at the sample ballot, KCMO has the transit sales tax and the sale of an unused park on the ballot. Jackson County has a sales tax request for a multitude of things).

I registered to vote shortly after I moved to Downtown, but am not sure if I'm eligible to vote yet because I moved downtown at the end of June, so I'm sitting this one out.
Did you receive your voter card this week? Or you didn't update your registration?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:03 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:50 pm I imagine the sales tax renewal vote will pass with around 70% of the vote. Number largely boosted because I expect turnout will be lower with no big issues on the ballot (looking at the sample ballot, KCMO has the transit sales tax and the sale of an unused park on the ballot. Jackson County has a sales tax request for a multitude of things).

Did you receive your voter card this week? Or you didn't update your registration?
I did not receive a card this week but received one a while back after I registered to vote here.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:08 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:03 pm

I did not receive a card this week but received one a while back after I registered to vote here.
You should vote then.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Vote advance to make sure everything is in order!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I abstained from voting today. Measure passed 73-27.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:21 pm I abstained from voting today. Measure passed 73-27.
Coverage: https://www.kcur.org/news/2023-11-07/ka ... her-decade
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:29 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:21 pm I abstained from voting today. Measure passed 73-27.
Coverage: https://www.kcur.org/news/2023-11-07/ka ... her-decade
Happy to vote for this even if I don't use the bus. I also wanted to note that both Clay and Platte counties voted in favor with good margins
Correct me if I am wrong, but how will this tax actually improve bus service versus just keep same business as usual and prevent mass implosion of our bus system? I agree with Miller that it's a necessary first step but something else needs to be done if service is going to actually improve.
Last edited by alejandro46 on Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The next step to actually improve is to get dedicated regional funding going in Johnson, Wyandotte, Platte, Clay, and Jackson counties. The counties will make different decisions than the cities -- as we've seen with how service is funded today (with general fund dollars) in Johnson and Wyandotte.

It's very likely Johnson will be first out of the gate since they've proven that there's a need and a willingness to expand (which they did last year with one-time federal funds that will run out soon).
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Any JoCo rail talks?