Lighting up KC's skyscrapers

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Lighting up KC's skyscrapers

Post by KCLover »

I noticed they were testing some new LED color changing lights on the top of One KC Place last night. Anyone else notice that? They are back to the red tonight :/
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

One KC place has some LED color changing lights on top again tonight, but only on the south side of the building.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

KCLover wrote:One KC place has some LED color changing lights on top again tonight, but only on the south side of the building.
The building is almost pitch black from the west side. Hard to tell it is even there aside from the blinking light on top. I noticed this last week as well, but didn't realize there were LED lights on the south side.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Transamerica building (whatever it's called now) appears to be getting into the lighting game. Green lights around the base of their roof.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I saw that. Glad they're getting into the lighting game. The green doesn't look too bad being next to 1KCP's red.

Personally, I would more of our iconic skyscrapers would have special lighting.

The KCP&L roof is no longer lit-up. I miss watching it change colors. It had been doing that for decades.
woodrow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by woodrow »

KCP&L is dark at top? How long has this been the case? Ugh. That building is an icon. Why oh Why can't somebody get something going there. This really upsets me.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

It hasn't been lit-up for several months now.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

You mean several years the illumination has been shut off. Don't expect to see the lighting on again until the building is renovated. I am sure that the equipment needs to be replaced with some modern energy efficient technology.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

There is an official renovation plan for the Power & Light building now right? Or did the latest plan fall through once again?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Demosthenes wrote:There is an official renovation plan for the Power & Light building now right? Or did the latest plan fall through once again?
official potential new buyer
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Just don't get what someone is trying to do with the green lights atop the Towne Pavillion. Just on the south and its two splotches of green on the side of the cupola. Doesn't do anything to reveal any architecture, just two green splotches. Is this how the mayor summons the Green Lantern?
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

flyingember wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:There is an official renovation plan for the Power & Light building now right? Or did the latest plan fall through once again?
official potential new buyer
So no. Damn. I thought the potential new buyer had already bought. It's mind blowing that maybe Kansas City's most beautiful building is still mostly vacant.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Half the lights on top of 1KCP are burnt out and haggard looking. Same for the white lights on top of city hall.

Was hoping they would get them changed before the Big XII tournament with all the people in town.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCLover wrote:Half the lights on top of 1KCP are burnt out and haggard looking.
This building was at risk of going into foreclosure, or something like that. Thus, I'm not surprised they haven't replaced any lights.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I believe the foreclosure threat of 1KCP had to do with liquidation of the remaining Lehman Brothers assets. Not a foreclosure on its own balance sheet. The building is reasonably well occupied compared to its class A peers downtown.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I'll mention the burned out beacon lights to the property manager later today.
archiKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by archiKC »

moderne wrote:You mean several years the illumination has been shut off. Don't expect to see the lighting on again until the building is renovated. I am sure that the equipment needs to be replaced with some modern energy efficient technology.
Are you talking about the red light that glows from the top of this building? It was fullly lit friday night. May have been for first fridays or the basketball tournament at municipal. Either way, i know i saw it lit.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

archiKC wrote:Are you talking about the red light that glows from the top of this building? It was fullly lit friday night. May have been for first fridays or the basketball tournament at municipal. Either way, i know i saw it lit.
No. We're talking about the column under the red light. For several decades, it would change colors every 10 seconds, like this:

These days, not only does it not change colors, but the column isn't even lit.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Man, that takes me back to my childhood on KCP&L building. I haven't seen it changing colors like that in a while. The giant timpani drum lights that are on the setbacks (can't see them unless you're up there) probably have enough copper in them to pay for new efficient LED lights.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Man, that takes me back to my childhood on KCP&L building. I haven't seen it changing colors like that in a while. The giant timpani drum lights that are on the setbacks (can't see them unless you're up there) probably have enough copper in them to pay for new efficient LED lights.
I have 2 of those that I bought from an auction about 12 years ago. They are very cool and have green lenses. They came with high powered focused bulbs and funny wiring, I put regular bulbs in there a while ago. I always thought I'd use them somewhere, but haven't found the right application.