Uptown Shoppes

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Uptown Shoppes

Post by moderne »

Anyone have knowledge of the 2 residential teardowns at SW Tfwy and Valentine? Hope this is not just some more KC Life land banking, but I think the neighborhood would be up in arms.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

moderne wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:31 pm Anyone have knowledge of the 2 residential teardowns at SW Tfwy and Valentine? Hope this is not just some more KC Life land banking, but I think the neighborhood would be up in arms.
I've been wondering about these. I know the one directly on the corner had been empty for a LONG time and the weather was starting to take a toll on the roof. I can't imagine there would much demand for new housing in that location given the street access onto SW Tfwy.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

If it's the two on the NE corner, they are KC Life owned.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

There is also that vacant lot with the Colliers sign near Penn Valley CC NE corner of SW Tfwy and 34th st. That "For Lease" sign has been on there for as long as I can remember. I'm unclear on the proposal behind leasing a vacant lot.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

Valentine is covered in vacant lots. I was told the neighborhood likes it that way, but I don't know any facts on the matter.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:24 pm There is also that vacant lot with the Colliers sign near Penn Valley CC NE corner of SW Tfwy and 34th st. That "For Lease" sign has been on there for as long as I can remember. I'm unclear on the proposal behind leasing a vacant lot.
A few years ago it was announced that QT was planning a store on that lot, but was contingent upon installing a left turn lane from SB SW Tfwy. Neighborhood opposition killed that proposal due to the left turn lane, increased traffic and desire to have a denser, more pedestrian-friendly development.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

How long has KC Life’s war on Valentine been going on? Seems like several decades by now.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Closer to half a century. Ever since they proposed turning everything between Valentine and 34th into an office park and Pennsylvania into a trafficway and were rebuffed by the outcry.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I guess the thinking is: if there are no neighbors left in Valentine, there's nobody to object.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Nice, some early signs of progress! This is going to be a great infill project.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Just how much of the strip center is going down? Seems weird that any of a 60 year old strip mall would be worth saving. What's worth saving is peeking over the roof of the strip mall in the photo--the Knickerbockers.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

The strip mall structure has been entirely gutted - down to the cement columns. I assume they'll replace the store fronts when finishing. So, I imagine the original strip will be largely unrecognizable when done.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Re-bar being erected on roof for new second floor parking level.
BTW, the house on Pennsylvania behind KC Life, aka the "Taco Bell" built by one of the Bixbys decades ago is up for sale.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Stick construction commencing on top.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Apartment project on track to open in May 2021. Moxy Hotel was ready to go before Corona hit. Hoping to start the hotel in Q3 or Q4 this year.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

A Marriot hotel is in the design phase for mid-town. I wonder if its the Uptown hotel.

https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... ites-hotel
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

^no access. more info pls.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I think that may be for the hotel proposal on Central north of Westport Rd. I believe it was to be a Marriott TownePlace Suites. Dirt was moved on that site a while back and it seemed like site prep was starting, but it has just been sitting as a mound of earth.