Bathroom Renovation Recommendations?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Bathroom Renovation Recommendations?

Post by KC Kropf »

staubio wrote: I don't think I can do this. I'd have to build in some dead space, or do it on just one side. 2 of the 3 shower walls are dividing walls between my condo and the neighbor, so I can't dig into those walls as they are shared elements. I really do like the idea of spaces like this, though, so I'll have to find a way to make it work.
I re-designed my bathroom as well as kitchen when I purchased my condo 2 years ago.  Ran into same issue with shower, and had 4 corner shelves tiled in as part of my tile surround.  I went with 2 smaller shelves in each corner (one on top of eachother spaced out pretty good) and couldn't be happier. 

Here is a great website that I ordered my vanity set from - http://www.decorplanet.com/

Here is the actual vanity that I purchased and installed -  http://www.decorplanet.com/product_p/fvn6119es.htm

Thing I like best about this vanity is that is has 4 drawers, and 2 cabinets (on the sides) for great storage space, and it is STILL a floating double sink setup that takes minimal space. 

I will look for pics of the light bar that I put in above this. 

Also - might want to think about dual shower heads while redoing your shower, I found that to be a nice addition... 

If I can find some time to take some pics, I'll post em.

Also - more than happy to share contractors information if you need one. 
On to the Next One
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Bathroom Renovation Recommendations?

Post by KC0KEK »

staubio wrote: I don't think I can do this. I'd have to build in some dead space, or do it on just one side. 2 of the 3 shower walls are dividing walls between my condo and the neighbor, so I can't dig into those walls as they are shared elements. I really do like the idea of spaces like this, though, so I'll have to find a way to make it work.
Are you going to gut those two common walls down to the studs anyway? If so, what you do is take the Durock and make a pocket, with the back of that pocket touching — but not nailed or glued to — the back of your neighbor's drywall. The tile still gets a solid surface via the Durock. This should be fine because my tile guy just used this design in my master bath, and if the back wall of the pocket wasn't "floating," he would have had nails sticking from the back of the Durock out through the drywall in the adjacent bedroom.

That said, it probably wouldn't be bad to double-check with your condo association to see if there are some kind of bylaws covering the stud space.