KU ticket scandal

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

KU ticket scandal

Post by KCPowercat »

probably deserves it's own thread given the scope.....so what's up ku fans....thoughts on the yahoo story?  Impact?  Will this hit other schools?  Obviously the Pump brothers are hooked into about every big time school out there.

biggest red flag I see is morningstar's dad organizing a lot of this.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: KU ticket scandal

Post by kcmetro »

This guy has probably had a few orgasms already this morning.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Sure Its disapointing that these individuals essentially stole from the University and I hope the full impact of the law gets thrown at them.  But this is a theft perpetrated by individuals; and despite the best hopes of all the haters out there who would love to try and spin this into some story about an out of control shady AD, it really has no bearing or impact on the University's athletic competition or administration.  The KU athletic department was the victim of a crime.  A crime that by all accounts may well have been perpetrated against many other ADs as well. 
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not spinning anything...i really don't have a hold on the entire story.

does morningstar's dad involvement increase ku fan's uneasiness? 

I agree it sounds like a crime was committed by an individual but there is some miss control structure that allowed that to happen....does this not make donors think twice about donating considering the old leader of the WEF was a crook?  What about the point system not being fair?

metro....haha, not really...im still trying to understand what the article is even saying...i haven't followed this story at all till today...have you not either?  Seems no ku fans have mentioned this much???

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: I'm not spinning anything...i really don't have a hold on the entire story.

I agree it sounds like a crime was committed by an individual but there is some miss control structure that allowed that to happen....does this not make donors think twice about donating considering the old leader of the WEF was a crook?  What about the point system not being fair?

metro....haha, not really...im still trying to understand what the article is even saying...i haven't followed this story at all till today...have you not either?  Seems no ku fans have mentioned this much???
I didn't know Morningstar was involved and some other details until I read that article.  I think most KU fans were in the dark about what exactly happened with this ticket scandal.  It's been kept very hush hush until today.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: does morningstar's dad involvement increase ku fan's uneasiness? 
It sounds like Morningstar's dad's involvement was mostly to the effect of introducing some of the various parties that set things in motion.  Sure, it sounds a bit more scandalous to have an active player's dad involved - but it isn't like the athletic department was intentionally giving him some sort of benefit, he was involved in a theft ring.  I do feel bad for Brady that his dad's actions will get his name dragged into all this negative attention. 
KCPowercat wrote: I agree it sounds like a crime was committed by an individual but there is some miss control structure that allowed that to happen....
Doesn't sound like there were any red flags or any other reason for the Athletic Department to think this guy was a dangerous hire.  Certainly not like the red flags around hiring a no-experience-having, son-in-law of a wealthy booster, known to be sketchy, bozo to run your athletic department and suddenly being shocked to learn that he was cooking the books and cutting dodgy under table deals with the coaches. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bury that head.  The lawfirm also states control structure wasn't in place...and hey, hey so did lew.

morningstar sets up brokers with ticket sources, gains money, kid goes to same university....along with many other recruits. 

this is more than just the 6 people being thrown under the bus...agreed?

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: bury that head.  The lawfirm also states control structure wasn't in place...and hey, hey so did lew.

morningstar sets up brokers with ticket sources, gains money, kid goes to same university....along with many other recruits. 

KCPowercat wrote: I'm not spinning anything...i really don't have a hold on the entire story.

If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: bury that head.  The lawfirm also states control structure wasn't in place...and hey, hey so did lew.

Control structure wasn't in place?  Okay.  Well now it will be, as Lew said.  It was an oversight.  It wasn't a scheme by the AD to fuck over donors or anyone else.  This is a case of a handful of individuals being greedy.  That's it.

The fact that Roger was involved doesn't have anything to do with recruits going to KU.  It wasn't like Roger was giving recruits tickets, or paying them with money he made by selling those tickets.  And Brady was planning on playing for KU the second he was born.  What does that have to do with anything?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

never said the department was looking to screw over fans...some individuals that used to work in that department kinda were but didn't say the department was trying to screw anybody.....

I responded to lenexa telling me my comments about a lack of controls being in place was incorrect...obviously I was spot on.  This is basic stuff here....lack of SOD...

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

and metro remember this issue on this internal report doesn't even touch the yahoo sports stuff concern the pump bros.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Well it's good this wasn't something that is going to affect recruiting or put KU on probation.  It makes me wonder how often this is happening at other schools.  The only reason this came out was because one of the ringleaders got caught doing something else that was illegal, and ended up spilling the beans about this.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/may/ ... t-scandal/
Cornwell said that Freeman, a Lawrence developer, started talking to federal prosecutors last year regarding a pay-for-preference deal that had Freeman giving a Junction City official money in exchange for deals that gave Freeman?s company control of real estate deals worth $12 million.

As part of Freeman?s cooperation ? he pleaded guilty last June to conspiracy to commit bank fraud ? Freeman agreed to provide prosecutors with information regarding that case. During those discussions, prosecutors apparently learned of Freeman?s involvement in ticket issues at KU, issues that Cornwell said involved more people than Freeman and stretched well beyond the financial implications of Freeman?s payments to a Junction City commissioner.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

not sure anybody knows how this will affect the ncaa/athletics/etc....

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Per the article:

Roger Morningstar has coached some of those summer traveling teams, one of which included his son, Brady, who committed to Kansas in 2006. Since Jones, Freeman and Roger Morningstar allegedly engaged in scalping tickets through the Pump brothers in 2002, summer traveling teams financed by the Pump brothers have featured at least nine players who went on to play for the Jayhawks. Among them were nationally recruited players Mario Chalmers, David Padgett, Omar Wilkes, Tyrel Reed, Elijah Johnson, Jeff Withey, Travis Releford and Brady Morningstar.

I guess the real question is whether Freeman is credible.  If he is credible - highly unlikely given his criminal history - then I think there is a very real concern surrounding the legitimacy of KU's basketball recruiting. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Sounds like KU had no clue that this was going on...unacceptable. I think Lew needs to go...a serious black eye for the University but more dumb than malicious. I'm sure the NCAA will tell KU that it sucks they lost 1MM because they hired thieves.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah the ncaa doesn't care about that...i am sure they would be kinda interested in the final four tix since they are 'ncaa tickets' as well as what is going on (if anything with the pump's) but the complimentary ku tix flowing out they couldn't give 2 shits about.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

How much did they care about the KSU AD trying to fleece the IRS or cutting dodgy payouts to the ex coach?  That's about as relevant to the NCAA as this is for KU. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

NDTeve wrote: Sounds like KU had no clue that this was going on...unacceptable.
Sounds like KU's level of knowledge is uncertain...

It sounds like the Pump brothers are a bit crooked.  And it sounds like KU's basketball program is pretty close with them.  

"Roger Morningstar has coached some of the [Pump's] summer traveling teams.  Chalmers? father, Ronnie, also coached the Pump brothers? summer traveling team in Alaska, before being hired as the director of basketball operations at KU in 2005. He eventually resigned that position in 2008. And the sons of head coach Bill Self and assistant coach Danny Manning ? Tyler Self and Evan Manning ? are both currently listed on the rosters of the Pump brothers? summer traveling teams. Coach Bill Self and Perkins have attended the Pumps? annual retreat held for coaches and administrators."
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: How much did they care about the KSU AD trying to fleece the IRS or cutting dodgy payouts to the ex coach?  That's about as relevant to the NCAA as this is for KU. 
The NCAA probably didn't care as much about the Wefald/Krause debacle because it had nothing to do with NCAA $$$. 

Rather, Wefald/Krause f*cked KSU alumni by funneling KSU $$$ into their own pockets and into the pockets of a garbage coach.  Not really sure where the NCAA fit into that one. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

lenexa...i appreciate your desire to deflect this to what happened at ksu but honestly this isn't even the same league....and the ncaa and irs went into ksu and found nothing....shoddy controls there too allowing people to sign contracts without proper supervision no doubt.......

question for you...perkins.  Want him to stay or go?