News from Omaha

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: News from Omaha

Post by eomaha.com »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:42 pm I don't think you understood that I'm talking about Iowa being right in the middle of that boundary? That's what I've been talking about the entire time, the two states on that route for building to the airport, yeesh.
You said..
"You can go around the long way but the straight shot from downtown is blocked off. I look at maps too. It's still a logistic nightmare for them."

Nothing you initially said makes any sense. Yes, you pass across Carter Lake, IA along the way, but this represents no 'logistic nightmare'.. and the path certainly isn't blocked off, but whatever. 🤦‍♂️
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Doubt this is any more of a problem than the part of Jackson County that lies north of the Missouri river at the old Liberty Bend on 291.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Since they're upgrading the existing terminal in place,
here's an iteresting video illustrating phased approach being used, allowing it to continue uninterrupted operations.

https://youtu.be/qMGEZMlYmk8?si=t2MXoMrWHnJa9J-s
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Interesting. It kind of shows the increased complexity and cost of renovating the existing terminal versus the clean slate new KCI one, even factoring in interest/inflation.

Do you think they would seriously run BRT or even streetcar to the new airport in the future? It's not really that far away from DT although I suspect a pretty high percentage of people visiting Omaha rent a car.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

I personally don't see the street car being extended to the airport anytime soon. Omaha can't punch much farther beyond the weight it's already reaching for right now.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

eomaha.com wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:03 am I personally don't see the street car being extended to the airport anytime soon. Omaha can't punch much farther beyond the weight it's already reaching for right now.
From what I’ve heard from State level leadership, it’s being explored as a longer term possibility, but nothing in conjunction with the terminal project. It sounds like they’d like to see the initial segment operating for a few years to gauge the success and viability, then go from there.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

New $300 million downtown soccer stadium for Union Omaha soccer club announced

Alliance Sports announced its plans for an innovative, state-of-the-art soccer stadium for Union Omaha. Positioned as the centerpiece of an extensive $300 million, 18-acre mixed-use project along Abbott Drive, the construction of the stadium with hard cost of $60 million is poised to start construction in the Fall of 2024, with doors opening to the public in the Spring of 2026. This strategic initiative not only aims to invigorate economic growth but also contributes to the dynamic evolution of downtown Omaha. Additionally, the project is actively pursuing legislation inclusion in the Sports Arena Facility Financing Assistance Act, anticipating a cumulative support of $25 million for the stadium project over 20 years.

The key components of the initial development plan include:

Soccer Stadium – A 7,000-seat soccer stadium serving as the new home for Union Omaha, Nebraska’s only professional soccer team. Plans include adding a women’s soccer team in the future.

Residential Units – Approximately 330 residential units, comprising a mix of apartments and townhomes, contributing to the urban living experience within the district.

Retail Space – A significant retail component of around 100,000 square feet, providing diverse shopping and dining options for residents and visitors.

Hotel – An approximately 140-key hotel, enhancing the area’s hospitality offerings and catering to the needs of the growing community.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Pretty nice. Haven't been up there yet, but hopefully this will be successful!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Makes a difference when 3/4 or of your economy didn't migrate to Iowa over the last 40 years.

If KCMO's economy didn't move to JoCo (and some even to WyCo), KC would probably be more of a peer to Denver today.

A fragmented metro area that competes with itself is going to struggle to be relevant. I still think it's the number one reason KC still struggles today.

Omaha is smaller, but it's by far the largest city and metro in the state and it's nearly entirely contained in NE. IA for the most part is a pretty good neighbor and partner rather than a fierce competitor.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:21 pm Makes a difference when 3/4 or of your economy didn't migrate to Iowa over the last 40 years.

If KCMO's economy didn't move to JoCo (and some even to WyCo), KC would probably be more of a peer to Denver today.

A fragmented metro area that competes with itself is going to struggle to be relevant. I still think it's the number one reason KC still struggles today.

Omaha is smaller, but it's by far the largest city and metro in the state and it's nearly entirely contained in NE. IA for the most part is a pretty good neighbor and partner rather than a fierce competitor.
We would’ve been Denver if we didn’t build the MCI terminals like we did in the 70’s
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:42 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:21 pm Makes a difference when 3/4 or of your economy didn't migrate to Iowa over the last 40 years.

We would’ve been Denver if we didn’t build the MCI terminals like we did in the 70’s
Agree. Or the subway system or the LRT system.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

langosta wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:45 pm

Had we gotten that subway system that was proposed in the LBJ administration era, I can almost guarantee we would be the size of Minneapolis right now
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:49 pm
langosta wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:45 pm
Had we gotten that subway system that was proposed in the LBJ administration era, I can almost guarantee we would be the size of Minneapolis right now
Yep. KC would have expanded that by now and have probably 40 miles of LRT.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »