News from Omaha

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: News from Omaha

Post by GRID »

It would sure look at lot better in a city like KC. KC needs a new modern tower badly to compliment the rest of the skyline which has not changed in decades. It just sticks out in Omaha but now two is better than just having one large tower.

Good for Omaha for having local companies committed to their downtown.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Buffett on the Omaha streetcar:

https://www.thestreet.com/politics/bill ... iliar-face
"I seldom take sides on local issues," the billionaire wrote in his letter titled "Bring it to a vote." "Understandably, it can be off-putting to many to have a wealthy 92-year-old tell them what is good for their future. I’m going to make an exception on the streetcar issue."
"Public transit, it should be emphasized, makes sense as a matter of social equity. It requires subsidies, but it helps many," Buffett said. But streetcars, he added, "are expensive and have very limited utility."

"The population actually served is small and routes are inflexible. Residents can be far better served by extended or more intensive service by the bus system. As population, commerce and desired destinations shift, a bus system can be re-engineered. Streetcars keep mindlessly rolling on, fueled by large public subsidies. Mistakes are literally cast in cement."
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Their streetcar is being financed by extending their existing TIF Districts. The process is pretty far along and the ability to create and direct funds from TIF is established as an ability of city council.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

GRID wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:45 pm It would sure look at lot better in a city like KC. KC needs a new modern tower badly to compliment the rest of the skyline which has not changed in decades. It just sticks out in Omaha but now two is better than just having one large tower.
Realizing Omaha has a 478 footer, basically as tall as KC's 3rd tallest.. along with the First National Center. So, with Mutual tower, Omaha will certainly match KC's 3 tallest.

And in other news, tower crane is up.

https://youtu.be/IiOnyrtloD4
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

eomaha.com wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:07 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:45 pm It would sure look at lot better in a city like KC. KC needs a new modern tower badly to compliment the rest of the skyline which has not changed in decades. It just sticks out in Omaha but now two is better than just having one large tower.

Realizing Omaha has a 478 footer, basically as tall as KC's 3rd tallest.. along with the First National Center. So, with Mutual tower, Omaha will certainly match KC's 3 tallest.

And in other news, tower crane is up.

https://youtu.be/IiOnyrtloD4

Meh, Crown Center/Hospital Hill has as good of a skyline as all of downtown Omha.
Even the Plaza has a better skyline than Omaha to me.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Meh. The boys and their phallic toys. Focus on the street level, Omaha!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

But look at the Burj Khalifa and its army of poop trucks! That's a real urban amenity! :shock:
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Big skyscraper in a cornfield = Manhattan NYC

/s
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Preview video from before riverfront parks reopening this weekend.

https://youtu.be/KEKbT-sXw8c
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Looks nice. Is the office campus still going away for redevelopment?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Latest Eppley Airfield $950 million expansion plan leaves room to grow
https://www.wowt.com/2024/01/17/eppley- ... sion-plan/

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - The Omaha Airport Authority on Wednesday announced plans to significantly expand Eppley Airfield’s terminal at a cost of $950 million. The cost will include renovations. The plan will allow long-term growth.

The authority said passenger traffic demand has been on the rise. The year 2023 ended up being the second busiest in its history with more than 5 million passengers traveling through the airport. That exceeded pre-pandemic levels in 2019.

As part of the Build Terminal Modernization Program, the Omaha Airport Authority has entered into a contract with Holder Construction for the terminal expansion and renovation.

Courtesy: Omaha Airport Authority
Courtesy: Omaha Airport Authority(WOWT)
The details, some of which were previously announced, include expanding the 375,000 square feet in the terminal to 646,000 square feet. The current layout of two terminals will be changed into a single, unified concourse with a centralized TSA security screening checkpoint.

The number of gates will expand from 20 to 22 with the ability to add more gates as Eppley Airfield grows.

Two gates will be made capable of international flights with a new Customs and Border Protection international arrivals hall for passenger processing.

Passengers can also expect new and expanded restaurant and retail concessions after they clear the security checkpoint. The baggage claim area will be expanded as will the space for boarding areas at the gates.

That work is scheduled to be completed by 2028.

Meanwhile, work continues on the $65 million Terminal Drive and Canopy Project, which will provide another passenger drop-off lane, expand the ADA accessibility of the passenger pick-up and drop-off areas, and provide cover from weather.

That project is scheduled for completion by Spring 2025.
https://www.buildoma.com/

Still lacks good public transit connections.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I know we love to complain about our bi-state issues but having your airport disconnected not only from your city but your state by old borders of an oxbow lake is pretty weird. Gotta be a huge pain for transit and everything involved for them.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:49 pm I know we love to complain about our bi-state issues but having your airport disconnected not only from your city but your state by old borders of an oxbow lake is pretty weird. Gotta be a huge pain for transit and everything involved for them.
It would be if the above was true

It isn't

Try Google Maps
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Must be thinking of St Joe. I wish our oxbow had been large enough to have kept KCI at old Wheeler airport.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Having recently used the terminal at OMA, this is a most welcome change. That thing is straight out of the 60’s as it stands now, and the gate areas lack basically anything. The location of the airport would also lend itself well to a future rail connection should the city of Omaha get their streetcar project built, as the terminal is fairly close to their downtown.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:25 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:49 pm I know we love to complain about our bi-state issues but having your airport disconnected not only from your city but your state by old borders of an oxbow lake is pretty weird. Gotta be a huge pain for transit and everything involved for them.

It isn't

Try Google Maps
You can go around the long way but the straight shot from downtown is blocked off. I look at maps too. It's still a logistic nightmare for them.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Considering how well NE and IA have worked together to build up the riverfront recreation on both sides and build a signature pedestrian bridge between them, I can see IA working with Omaha to let their new tram line through their little enclave.

But even if they don't, going around is not a big deal and might be the better option anyway since it will then serve the north side.

Omaha will likely have transit to their airport before KC does and they have a reason to since they have several big companies HQ in their downtown.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

This is a weird argument to get into, but Omaha's transit agency has served Iowa for its entire history, and a bus route currently runs through Carter Lake between Eppley and downtown*.

TBH, the biggest reason that no one up there presumably cares about enhancing transit access to the airport is precisely due to how close it is to downtown; even for the relative handful of people coming in for business who aren't getting a rental car, the airport isn't more than a 10-minute, $10 ride away from downtown.

*rush-hour weekdays only, of course
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:53 pm
SingleMalt12 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:25 pm

It isn't

Try Google Maps
You can go around the long way but the straight shot from downtown is blocked off. I look at maps too. It's still a logistic nightmare for them.
What are you talking about?? It's literally a straight 3 1/2 mile shot down ONE street.. Abbott Drive, to get to downtown from the airport. There's nothing blocked. Hotels line the route as well. Also one of the best views as you approach downtown. I don't need to look at a map, I drive it all the time. I'm thinking you're talking about the Storz Expressway route away from downtown, which no one takes but people coming from north Omaha.

As for the airport expansion, here's a nice video.

https://youtu.be/lLPdrP4_Dk8?si=5WcjHJ81o4cNg0Hb
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I don't think you understood that I'm talking about Iowa being right in the middle of that boundary? That's what I've been talking about the entire time, the two states on that route for building to the airport, yeesh.