Mark Twain Tower

Re: Rankings, lists, and such

Post by earthling »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:29 pm Another one today...
https://www.insider.com/surprising-thin ... os-2022-11
"Shuttle"
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KC continues to get good press.

I wonder what the (numerous) stories about “my trip to KC during the World Cup” will be like.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

That was an incredibly annoying read. It was like someone took a bullet point list and did a poor job summarizing. Didn’t even hit the good museums either…
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think it's best someone like that just doesn't write about her travels and keeps her thoughts to herself. Calling the streetcar a "shuttle" is an insult in itself. It's clear people who live in NYC think everything west of the New Jersey suburbs is the Wild West and no mans land. It sure explains a lot about how they see the rest of America.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The shuttle was annoying but atleast they’re visiting and writing about it. They’re not doing that for Indiana lol.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:47 pm I think it's best someone like that just doesn't write about her travels and keeps her thoughts to herself.
Yikes
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:08 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:47 pm I think it's best someone like that just doesn't write about her travels and keeps her thoughts to herself.
Yikes
She's making a big deal about how nice people are here, how she got confused on "ticket" vs "bill", mistakenly called the streetcar a "shuttle", and pointed out that KC has good food (which she wasn't expecting). All of these irk me since that's the Midwest (minus the Streetcar).

Half of the stuff in that blog post has zero substance and wouldn't convince me to visit KC if I were on the outside looking at the city. She missed way too much about what makes this city special from the Jazz clubs to unique neighborhood bars, to the unique neighborhood feels, to even things like nightlife (which keeps the core going after workers head home from work).

So when I say, "I think it's best someone like that just doesn't write about her travels and keeps her thoughts to herself", I mean it in a way of critique of how one does a write up on a city that one has visited for the first time. Do point out the interesting details that makes a city unique. Don't point out the obvious that most people who have left their home city have experienced.

She seems to have the ability to do so much more with her writing (like wanting to elaborate more and talk about substance), but I guess Insider, like Buzzfeed, wants the "list" posts to appeal to their target reader rather than a broad scope of people.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Not a great writer but at least she showed up and reported instead of just making a bunch of assumptions and stereotypical comments.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Idk, maybe someone reads the quote about KC being more LGBTQ+ friendly than expected and latches onto that.

I'm not going to shame someone for writing something positive about KC.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

^Exactly. Not gonna complain.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The 23 Best Places to Go in the U.S. in 2023
Kansas City has long been a major hub of the Midwest, but coastal dwellers should really start taking note. While the city is already garnering the attention of sports fans around the world—it’s hosting the NFL Draft in April 2023, and was chosen as one of the host cities for the 2026 FIFA World Cup—there are plenty more cool openings on the near horizon.
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/best-p ... he-us-2023
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:31 pm The 23 Best Places to Go in the U.S. in 2023
Kansas City has long been a major hub of the Midwest, but coastal dwellers should really start taking note. While the city is already garnering the attention of sports fans around the world—it’s hosting the NFL Draft in April 2023, and was chosen as one of the host cities for the 2026 FIFA World Cup—there are plenty more cool openings on the near horizon.
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/best-p ... he-us-2023
Cool hotels! I had never heard of the Truitt or Aida, but they are cool concepts in a great location. If something happens on the old Holiday Inn lot, that walk down 45th to the Plaza/streetcar will be pretty neat
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Awesome. Was also noticing yesterday that CNBC twitter account has tweeting out the “Kansas City the best place to travel & work remote” article on auto-pilot for months now. Like every other day they just keep tweeting it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Cities with the Highest Increase in Homicide Rates.

Not quite as positive as the rest of this thread has been recently

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-homic ... XYGVAtT1ik
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:49 am Cities with the Highest Increase in Homicide Rates.

If we did not have the Northland, KC and St Louis would pretty much be #1 and #2 every single year
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:40 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:49 am Cities with the Highest Increase in Homicide Rates.

If we did not have the Northland, KC and St Louis would pretty much be #1 and #2 every single year
As a metro, “hot” cities like Nashville surpass us
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Yeah, but that doesn't help the urban cores that desperately need re population, only makes the suburbs more attractive.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Zillow predicts KC will be the 7th hottest real estate market in 2023

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 19840.html

Methodology

Zillow analyzed the 50 largest U.S. metro areas to forecast the hottest, or most competitive, housing markets of 2023. Seven metro areas were excluded due to missing data. The analysis incorporates expected home value appreciation from December 2022 through November 2023, the anticipated change in home value appreciation from 2022, new jobs per new housing unit permitted, an estimate of the net new number of home-owning households based on current demographic trends and the speed at which homes are being sold.