Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by chaglang »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:20 pm
Goonies wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:55 pm
Pastense wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:54 pm KCTenants continuing to trash Mac as white capitalists. They will be very upset when they find out who actually funds (purchasers of Low-Income Housing Tax Credits) affordable housing in the US. Bank of America, Standard Oil, Boeing, General Electric...
Councilmember @EricWBunch makes deal with KC Tenants to back social housing in exchange for promises of neutrality in Bike Lane War
Really hard to utilize bike lanes if you don’t build dense development that encourages alternate forms of transit. Does he not realize this is a short term gain, long term loss?
JFC, he understands this better than most people here. Chill.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Armour and Troost update. Grading permit issued for the NW corner SW corner isn't too far behind. I used to live in Bainbridge actually and can't wait to see how different it is in the next year or so.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like The Crosswalks is the new name for this development, and the first building (NE Corner) is called Westover. Here is the page on Mac's website, which includes a video flythrough that I hadn't seen before: https://www.macapartments.com/property/Armour-Troost-NE

I'm not sure when move-ins start, but they are currently leasing. I did notice a Chase Bank coming soon sign in the retail space.

The top floor on the SE corner is currently being built. Grading/site prep on the NW corner has begun, but isn't quite in full swing. The construction trailer is still on the site.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Will they really be paining the intersection like that? If anyone can take some pictures of the current progress it would b highly appreciated. Crazy to think the old liquor store is getting replaced by a chase bank and 1,000 dollar studios lol.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Amazing project. Why the city would not want this at Armor and Main is mind boggling.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:37 pm Amazing project. Why the city would not want this at Armor and Main is mind boggling.
Are there renderings? Was this part of that Mac package that got denied incentives?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Different project. There are renders further up this thread.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Here they are.
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:55 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:18 am MAC's Armour & Troost project has started construction.
I couldn't find these posted here already, but I believe these are the most up-to-date and detailed renderings available for this project. Northeast corner will be the first to begin construction:

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What the intersection used to look like.

Looking south on Troost towards Armour Boulevard. On the right is the top of the Senate Apartment Hotel.

The southeast corner of Armour and Troost.

The Cavalier Apartment Hotel sat on Armour to the east of the southeast corner of Armour and Troost.

Looking east towards Troost from Forest are the Boulevard Manor Hotel to the left, and the Cavalier Apartment Hotel to the right.

The east side of Troost south of Armour. The back of the Cavalier Apartment Hotel is shown center top of the photo.

The Senate Apartment Hotel sat west of Troost on the south side of Armour.

Looking east one can see the Senate Apartment Hotel and the Cavalier Apartment Hotel in the distance past Troost.

The north side of Armour Boulevard looking west from Forest Avenue towards Troost. The first two buildings in the photo still exist. The third was demolished years ago, and is where the replacement building is being constructed on the NE corner of Armour and Troost.

daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Thanks Fang posts like this always break my heart a little when I imagine the terrible shape of the city as a kid and it makes me even more happy to discover the names Mac chose for their project were actually the names of the original structures that adorned one our cities finest arteries. This development is a game changer for a very important intersection. Now if Linwood can get some love too!
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I was going through some old files on my computer and found this scan. I'm sure I posted it here before, but the image hosting site I used before is no longer, so I'll put it up again for posterity.

This was probably the first plan that Mac put out (the file is dated October 2015). It involved keeping the market building on the SW corner, and incorporating the hotel building that Abnos is still holding on to and doing god-knows-what with.

It's been a long journey for this project, but I'm glad to see it coming to life.

I did notice the construction trailer had been moved off the NW corner site yesterday, so it looks like site prep may be beginning full bore.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This was the very first massing diagram that MAC released on the project. The size of the SW and NW corners increased after they tore down the existing 2 story building, HP made them add parking (which resulted in another demolition), and they decided to build bigger on the west lots.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So Mac's got 4-5 infill projects planned to build on Armour?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Two active projects.
Troost & Armour (4 buildings above) - under construction
Main & Armour - who knows? thanks to KC Tenants pressure on City Council
Last edited by Critical_Mass on Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

Mac bringing the grocery store and Chase Bank to the Westover is a big deal for the neighborhood, particularly at this key transit intersection. A real bank will reduce community reliance on check-cashing and other usurious financial services.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

If I was Mac, I would hold on Main and Armour until Troost was at least partially leased up and then build market rate.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

They took about 6 years from initial concept to construction on Armour + Troost. At that pace they wouldn't have to hold on anything, just go at the speed they normally go.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Pastense wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:29 am Mac bringing the grocery store and Chase Bank to the Westover is a big deal for the neighborhood, particularly at this key transit intersection. A real bank will reduce community reliance on check-cashing and other usurious financial services.
Many of those check cashing places exist because many low-income residents can't afford to maintain a checking account because of balance minimums and monthly account fees for deposits under a certain amount, constant fear of high overdraft fees, etc. There is also the problem of many people not being able to maintain a permanent address.

If our country wants to get rid of check-cashing businesses, the easiest remedy would likely be to allow the post office to be a bank.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... s-rcna2502
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

New check cashing places can't go on parts of Troost that are in the overlay district.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I did a drive by a week or so ago. Here is the current status of the buildings at Troost/Armour.

Southeast corner

Northwest corner

Northeast corner