Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Are there any rumblings about The Marquette Club at Armour and Forest that Abnos keeps holding onto? Last I heard MAC called his bluff.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Riverite wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:06 am Amazing! Thanks Chris, does anyone know if anything is happening with the storage building?
It was sold to a different storage company earlier this year. Probably remaining storage for the foreseeable future.
Sirius_Blue wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:32 am Are there any rumblings about The Marquette Club at Armour and Forest that Abnos keeps holding onto? Last I heard MAC called his bluff.
Not that I have heard.

I will say that I'm a little surprised and disappointed by the apparent lack of activity/change in properties surrounding Armour and Troost. There was the recent purchase and renovation of the three building complex just east of the Marquette Club. Otherwise, there is not a lot going on that I'm aware of.

Maybe more is happening behind the scenes. Maybe people in the Show-Me state are waiting until Mac has completed the Crosswalks and it is proven successful. Maybe property owners are holding out for unrealistic prices. Probably a combo of all of the above. Either way, I would have expected to see a little more spin off by now. I guess things just move slowly in this town.

It seems like the 3 corners of 33rd and Troost could be prime for development. Hoop Dog Studios was recently put on the market (the owner passed). The lot to the north of Hoop Dog has been for sale for a while, as have some Abnos owned lots on the NE corner.

I have heard that the building on the NW corner of 33rd and Forest might be available. I'm curious about the ownership of that building. I believe it is being used by a contractor for storage, but the ownership of that building and numerous lots around it is listed as Globe Wernicke. That name is probably familiar to anyone who is into antique furniture. I don't believe Globe Wernicke has existed since 1963 when it was acquired and changed to Globe-Weis. Does anyone know anything about the ownership/history of these buildings/lots?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is it true that MAC is coming back with a 300 unit proposal for Armour/Main?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:29 pm Is it true that MAC is coming back with a 300 unit proposal for Armour/Main?
An incentive rezone and area amendment for 300+ units was filed. Absolutely believe DENSITY should be legal in the core. Amazes me the area plan does not support that.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Rancho’s restaurant moving to the old Subway spot at Linwood and Main. Not sure if this signals construction starting in their old spot. Not sure how their drive thru will work in that spot. Cars will likely spill out into Main or Linwood, likely blocking the streetcar.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:20 pm Rancho’s restaurant moving to the old Subway spot at Linwood and Main. Not sure if this signals construction starting in their old spot. Not sure how their drive thru will work in that spot. Cars will likely spill out into Main or Linwood, likely blocking the streetcar.

Is Ranchos the same as ponchos?

Assume a drive through at Subway will require a special use permit. Will try to write against it!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:03 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:20 pm Rancho’s restaurant moving to the old Subway spot at Linwood and Main. Not sure if this signals construction starting in their old spot. Not sure how their drive thru will work in that spot. Cars will likely spill out into Main or Linwood, likely blocking the streetcar.

Is Ranchos the same as ponchos?

Assume a drive through at Subway will require a special use permit. Will try to write against it!
I think so? On Google they come up as the same thing. Weird.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:20 pm Cars will likely spill out into Main or Linwood, likely blocking the streetcar.
Yeah...not sure what the plan is for that. They're gonna need to figure that out. Obv priority goes to streetcr.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:14 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:20 pm Cars will likely spill out into Main or Linwood, likely blocking the streetcar.
Yeah...not sure what the plan is for that. They're gonna need to figure that out. Obv priority goes to streetcr.
Does the Grand Place Bok have a plan for this as well?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:17 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:14 pm
Does the Grand Place Bok have a plan for this as well?
Triple the prices so that there will be only be approx 2 cars in line at a time

/s
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was hoping that Subway would get demolished and a nice corner building would go up next to the ABC Warehouse project.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

With One West Armour in the middle and Crosswalk to the east, could this be the dawning of the third Golden Age of Armour? Golden Age I, the mansions of the late 19th and early 20th centuries; Golden Age II, the stately apartments of the twenties and thirties, then the long post war decline. When people began to rehab the homes of Hyde Park in the seventies and eighties the Armour apartments were blamed for the source of many neighborhood problems. Wondering if the revival of the apartments could have happened if Hyde Park neighborhood had remained in a state of decay and disinvestment it was 50 years ago.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

moderne wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:06 pm When people began to rehab the homes of Hyde Park in the seventies and eighties the Armour apartments were blamed for the source of many neighborhood problems. Wondering if the revival of the apartments could have happened if Hyde Park neighborhood had remained in a state of decay and disinvestment it was 50 years ago.
They also blamed the Warner Plaza buildings for criminal activity throughout the 1980s. Until the whole area from Gillham/ Linwood to 35th and Main (where 35th street used to be) was demolished in 1989. Hundreds of households permanently displaced from midtown for "slum clearance" in the name of the "Glover Project" aka Home Depot and Costco -- this was only 30 years ago. The buildings were attractive as well, and were built to the sidewalk along Main and along Linwood. KC's greatest urbanist blunder IMHO.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Miller Plaza was the next street over from Warner Plaza and nearly identical. They really had an European scale and ambiance. There were also a lot of single family homes that had been rehabbed by the owners. And Warwick was a through street from Armour to Linwood.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

109-11 W Armour Blvd is set to be restored/renovated. Full plans aren't out yet, but the project was brought before the Historic Preservation Commission. The developer seems very sensitive to the architecture and wants to restore the building to its original appearance.

The building has sat empty and suffered a fire recently. I was scared it was going to be demolished. Glad to see it will be restored. Another jewel in Armour's crown.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Those duplexes on both sides of the street have a style that I have never seen elsewhere in KC. They are quite distinctive but I don't know what historical style they would be categorized. Sort of Nouveau-Craftsman. Will be interesting what MAC designs for the surface lot to the east.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

glad this will be saved!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I revised "The Crosswalks" and since my last visit, progress has gone quick. The impact this project has on the area cannot be understated.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Amazing! I remember living at Briarcliff when it was New Jack City and I always hoped for better use of those corners, especially when the SW corner got torn down. The first shot is especially impressive!
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I've purposely been taking the long way home to watch this project and it is so transformative.