Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by Riverite »

flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:41 am
Riverite wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:49 am Looks great, wish it were a bit taller on main but probably smart as it gets it rolling sooner. Yeah MAC has been really good about not releasing anything that is vaporware
Zoned B3-2

Maximum height 50 feet

So it would need to be rezoned to go taller. Since 50 feet is well under 8-10 stories looks like they’re planning to do this already
Ughh why is that zoned for fifty feet! Hopefully that gets changed soon cause amendment to zoning in Midyown is a proper pain in the ass and would push it out years
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:41 am
Riverite wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:49 am Looks great, wish it were a bit taller on main but probably smart as it gets it rolling sooner. Yeah MAC has been really good about not releasing anything that is vaporware
Zoned B3-2

Maximum height 50 feet

So it would need to be rezoned to go taller. Since 50 feet is well under 8-10 stories looks like they’re planning to do this already
Will have to be rezoned to UR anyways for incentives
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Will be interesting to see if they request rezoning much higher than these buildings as prep for when... they acquire the BK lot!!!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

What does the area plan say about building height in this area. Ive got to think it is inline with what is proposed here
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

kboish wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:47 am Fantastic. Love that they are doing this because unlike many other KC developers, you know they will move forward as quickly as the neighborhood will let them

Their project at Troost/Armour is coming along. NE corner is topped out and they were digging foundation for SE corner yesterday when i passed by.
I don't know if the Armour and Troost development makes the best case for Mac moving as quickly as possible. That project took a very long time to get going. Some of those delays were due to neighborhood and city holdups, but even after all of the approvals, they are running a good bit behind schedule for the final timeline they put out.

However, they might be more motivated on this one. Their timeline doesn't seem overly ambitious and I think there will be an impetus to get this done in time for the streetcar extension. I'm sure we will keep seeing more proposals coming along the line and the competition could inspire developers to try to beat others to the market.

Overall, this seems like a nice initial concept. I will be curious to here how much of that 40k sq ft ends up being retail vs office, and what the plans for the retail portion are.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There is the possibility MAC will wait for streetcar to complete before breaking ground (or substantial start) on the new buildings along Main. Hope that's not the case but construction would be a pain while streetcar construction in progress.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

earthling wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:26 am Yeah looks great. Would be nice to have more height to give midtown an identity and would give views to both downtown/Plaza but perhaps they'll acquire other intersection corners and target at a later time. Would think being MAC they'll do this right with all retail entirely along all sidewalks. And looks like they won't be tearing down US Bank building. Would've been OK if for something significantly substantial but otherwise great they are keeping it.
As for the 60,000 square-foot US Bank building that opened in 1973, Mac has backed off its original idea of demolishing the structure and decided instead to completely overhaul it by replacing its facade.

“We want to give it a new skin and appearance,” Cassel said. “It’s a great place for corner retail with the second and third floors for office and then residential as well.
Right now, Cassel believes the four taller buildings, three on Main, one on Armour, would be eight- to 10 stories. The two smaller apartment buildings planned for southwest of Armour and Baltimore would be in scale and context with the adjoining neighborhood.
While I think Downtown really needs a couple of new actual "towers", I think this is a good height because it's adding four good sized buildings that all front Main and Armour. It will totally change the feel of the area. As long as you are over 8 floors on the main corridors, I don't think height matters much in midtown.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time though before something relatively tall is proposed though. The views from a 20 story building in midtown would be pretty amazing.

All I know is that the city had better play nice with MAC. They are doing everything the city is asking and way more than most developers will. They have a massive invested interest in the city and have delivered when nobody local would touch Midtown. They do what they say they will do in a decent time frame. KCMO needs to work with them and not start changing things up again like they did with Cordish. I'm actually surprised KCMO has not already run MAC out of town. They have been amazing for the city so far.

And it makes more sense to build this while Main is all tore up and open it about the same time the streetcar opens.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:52 am There is the possibility MAC will wait for streetcar to complete before breaking ground (or substantial start) on the new buildings along Main. Hope that's not the case but construction would be a pain while streetcar construction in progress.
Doesn’t the article say they want it done before it opens?
If successful in obtaining city approvals, the new development proposed for Main and Armour is expected to be completed by early 2025
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Thanks, I missed that. Good thing they're targeting before rather than after.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Sounds like most of the affordable apartments will be in the renovated New Yorker. They noted they don't want to displace the existing affordable tenants there.

Also noted that the imposed cost of the City 20% affordable housing requirements is $600k per year. Not peanuts.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

This looks like a great plan and I do like that they will add some newer style buildings with height to contrast some of the older buildings that were renovated to keep their existing architectural charm. Should create a very unique and "fun" feel to midtown to have a mix of old and new that works very well together.

However let's address the major elephant in the room and my biggest concern.....what is going to happen to Pancho's!! (lol)

I love that place and it was a staple in my 20's and 30's as one of the few good quality fast (relatively speaking) food joints open 24hrs in KC. Grabbing a breakfast burrito on the way home from a night out was awesome. Plus I've even started to prime the next generation by taking my kids, nieces & nephews there for some great Mexican food. I hope some of the proposed retail will offer a spot for them. They can dump the drive through and have a walk up window along with some table and such for inside dinning. #SavePancho's! :)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yes, great big daddy breakfast burritos, especially with the fresh salsa bar. Hopefully they find a new Midtown home nearby.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Goonies wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:35 pm Would rather have Panchos than subsidies for shitty expensive generic apartments ran by one of the worst companies in KC
They could relocate
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

They'd fit right in on Broadway. Wasn't there a Pancho's on the east side of Westport for a while?

Also I would 100% swap Pancho's for 4 new apartment buildings and 2 renovations, any day.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I’d love to see something done with that low rise storage building on the Nw corner
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree, like MAC acquiring and doing something even more substantial than this project. Ditto with BK lot.
Last edited by earthling on Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

earthling wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:03 pm ^Agree, like MAC acquiring and doing something even more substantial than this project.
Did we end up finding out who bought that class b building on the se corner?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:04 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:03 pm ^Agree, like MAC acquiring and doing something even more substantial than this project.
Did we end up finding out who bought that class b building on the se corner?
Investor and Clemons real estate
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:13 pm Investor and Clemons real estate
Looks like they just do redevelopment, so I’m guessing lofts then or something, probably no significant change
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:23 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:13 pm Investor and Clemons real estate
Looks like they just do redevelopment, so I’m guessing lofts then or something, probably no significant change
Pretty sure they are looking to fill it up with office tenants, at least for now. KC Streetcar Constructors is in their so I would think that’s a lease till 2025/2026