Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by moderne »

Have been in the new bank twice. Both times they were having computer problems, blaming it once on the construction across the street and the other time on the overhead high voltage lines. Off hours you need debit card to get into vestibules where the ATMs are.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Good to see "The Crosswalks" buildings all topped out and the facade going on the one at the Northwest corner of the intersection. This is a project that should be replicated many times over across the city.

Sphere photo: https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/troo ... -boulevard
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

Those are some great pictures. I drive by this project every day and it has been great to see the progress they are making. Really hoping all of the ground floor retail spaces fill up quickly. It would be a easy way to demonstrate their contribution to the neighborhood.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Need to copy/paste this 4 corner catalyst project at a dozen other intersections throughout E Side.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:46 am Need to copy/paste this 4 corner catalyst project at a dozen other intersections throughout E Side.
And north, south, and west. Give this to me everywhere two significant streets intersect. I cannot get enough of this.

My question is: How do we make this the default in KC rather than the exception? This project only exists in this form because MAC understands how to create functioning, walkable places. It seems to me that we are lucky this was built in this way.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

smh wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:00 am
earthling wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:46 am Need to copy/paste this 4 corner catalyst project at a dozen other intersections throughout E Side.
And north, south, and west. Give this to me everywhere two significant streets intersect. I cannot get enough of this.

My question is: How do we make this the default in KC rather than the exception? This project only exists in this form because MAC understands how to create functioning, walkable places. It seems to me that we are lucky this was built in this way.

We make this the default by pushing for this corner to succeed. I've already seen/heard locals complaining about the bank and grocery store (which is installing it's fridges and freezers today!). When the other two first-floor tenants go in, locals will no doubt complain about those too.

Let's work on fostering a welcoming and optimistic neighborhood attitude toward development, not just a "ew, something new" knee-jerk.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Sirius_Blue wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:09 pm
smh wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:00 am

We make this the default by pushing for this corner to succeed. I've already seen/heard locals complaining about the bank and grocery store (which is installing it's fridges and freezers today!). When the other two first-floor tenants go in, locals will no doubt complain about those too.

Let's work on fostering a welcoming and optimistic neighborhood attitude toward development, not just a "ew, something new" knee-jerk.
What's the complaint? Bank too boring, sure. But a grocer?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

smh wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:25 pm What's the complaint? Bank too boring, sure. But a grocer?
Too expensive! No parking! Gentrification!

Maybe?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Let them eat cake.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are always going to be people determined not to be pleased.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:30 pm
smh wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:25 pm What's the complaint? Bank too boring, sure. But a grocer?
Too expensive! No parking! Gentrification!

Maybe?
Yup, pretty much it. People just ready to be angry.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Looking solid.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Can we do this at 39th and Broadway PLEASE!! Maybe with more balconies. An classic colonnade-inspired complex would be awesome there.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:04 am Can we do this at 39th and Broadway PLEASE!! Maybe with more balconies. An classic colonnade-inspired complex would be awesome there.
Totally agree, tear down the new Gomers and replace it with this. :)
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:34 am
Midtownkid wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:04 am Can we do this at 39th and Broadway PLEASE!! Maybe with more balconies. An classic colonnade-inspired complex would be awesome there.
Totally agree, tear down the new Gomers and replace it with this. :)
Or just put Gomers on L1. They're looking to expand their store anyway

I wonder what will happen on the SE corner now that Grimm has moved to the Bottoms
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:43 am Or just put Gomers on L1. They're looking to expand their store anyway

I wonder what will happen on the SE corner now that Grimm has moved to the Bottoms
I’m sure that’s the lot he was talking about. I just hate the Gomers building. I do know they own the buildings to the north. They have an “event space” in one and petitioned at one time for a dispensary license.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I literally want all four corners of 39th and Broadway redone with high-quality building similar to the Crosswalks development. Create nice retail and restaurant spaces on the ground floor with some recessed patios etc. Also some good landscaping would go a long way in making that intersection seem like a vibrant one, rather than looking like it was plucked from Prospect.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

39th and Broadway has to be the number one candidate for an all 4-corner redevelopment. The SW corner of 39th and Main would be my personal choice, something modern and bold like the Godfrey in Hollywood would starkly contrast the old streetcar era buildings.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like Urban Cafe will be one of the tenants for the NW corner:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b17d3d27df
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The "grocer" on the SE corner is only about the size of a Quick Trip, if that.