TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:35 pm I actually agreed with AA. Who will be a better team in 10 years, UT or UCF or Cincinnati? I’d guess the latter. They’re actually probably better right now. So, if the goal for the Big 12 is to compete and put a better product on the field, going to 12 by adding 4 strong up-and-coming programs on the field in basketball and football might be better than what we have right now: 10 teams with a great one sport OU and a has-been UT athletic department.
Thank you! So glad finally someone is getting it haha.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:18 pm
KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:43 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:01 pm

Did you see that team play last night? There's a reason the Big 10 doesn't want them.

And again, I truly don't understand why as a KU fan you'd want to go to a conference where you'll be absolutely slaughtered till the end of time in football, and not even have as strong of a grip on basketball anymore...right when the Big 12 might finally look feasible for KU to make advances in with football in few years now- and forever dominate in basketball to get 1 seeds in March every year. Not to mention you get to watch your team play every year in KC for the Big 12 tournament.

Why? So the school administrators can make more money in their pockets from Big 10? That money isn't going to you or me, so who gives a shit about the profit increases? They already have top sports facilities too. KU is *duping* their fans to take a miserable deal for themselves so they can line their pockets.
Bigger TV contracts equals more money for each team. That money does not line the pockets of the AD or other Executives, it goes to the "athletic" department which means KU can invest more money into their facilities. The football stadium needs $200m + in upgrades. Boosters will pay for part of that, but getting $30m + more a year to be in a better conference, is a win win for KU. Plus playing tougher B1G teams in basketball will help KU basketball as the season goes on. KU dominated the Big12 in basketball, but all to often has puttered out in the Big Dance. Playing teams like The OSU, Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc will help KU in the long run.

I still think KU makes the jump to the B1G with Iowa St since both are AAU institutions. I don't trust Bowlsby, he's sat on his hands for the last 10 years while realignment has shattered the Big12. It's time for KU to look out in their bests interests and make the jump if offered an invite.
I get the argument about better facilities but that argument has been proven not to work time and time again- Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, Texas A&M football programs all thought the same thing of “we’ll make more money now so we’ll be able to build better facilities, attract better talent, etc” but they’re all irrelevant now (with slight exception to A’M) Not only that, their programs are stuck in perennial spirals where they can barely move up in their own conference. KU will be even worse off because, unlike those programs, they aren’t remotely good to begin with. It sounds good on paper that “better conference will allow for better recruiting” but it never works. As a fan, KU football only hope now is the Big 12 is getting less tough in football. Don’t go to harder conference in Big 10, will only make it worse.

As for basketball it’s pretty simple- new Big 12 would be a tougher basketball conference anyway. Also, the current National champ is Baylor, and the runner up the prior year is Texas Tech. Big 12’s been doing better than anyone lately. Lets say Big 12 is worse. The most consistent way to win now is the “Gonzaga model” where you play in a lesser conference, rack up a ton of free wins, then get 1 seed in March and go from there. Not take extra losses in the Big 10 and then get a 2 or a 3 seed. The Gonzaga model of scamming your way to a top seed every year with a worse conference actually works great- now they’re even getting #1 overall recruits!

In the long run the fans won’t care about facilities, they’ll only care if we’re winning or not. We’re not gonna win as much in the Big 10, it will be miserable, and they’re going to regret leaving Big 12.
How about we agree to disagree? :). Houston, Cincy have good football programs going on now, but they won't sustain it because the coaches will leave for bigger program and those schools don't have a national draw like TX or OU. There is also no natural or geographical rivalry with those teams along with UCF, that is why KU and Istate would be better off in the B1G. I don't care about KU playing Houston, UCF or Cincy.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The only thing I truly care about is if the Tournament leaves KC. KU goes to the big 10 and KC has pretty much lost one of the most significant economic drivers for the first half of the year. Local economy suffers if KU leaves big 12 and allows it to fall apart, so at the end of the day, no matter how far out you want to view this issue, the macro effects will always be a negative…
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:47 am The only thing I truly care about is if the Tournament leaves KC. KU goes to the big 10 and KC has pretty much lost one of the most significant economic drivers for the first half of the year. Local economy suffers if KU leaves big 12 and allows it to fall apart, so at the end of the day, no matter how far out you want to view this issue, the macro effects will always be a negative…
Same if the tournament stays in KC then I’m happy
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:21 am I don't care about KU playing Houston, UCF or Cincy.
And teams in the B1G don’t care about playing the Jayhawks.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It's funny how KC_Jayhawk conveniently leaves out UCF & BYU but focuses in on Cincy & Houston

Here are a few reasons why that's a load of shit:

1. Cincinnati has been a great football program since the mid 2000's, there's no "coach gonna leave for UT and screw the program" because they've been consistently for over a decade- and still rising. Their basketball program also has been successful.

2. BYU has been very successful football program for decades now- the 2nd overall pick in the draft *this year* was the BYU QB Zack Wilson. Again, no coach has left and screwed the program and their basketball program is great.

3. Houston U. basketball went to the Final Four this year and has been consistently ranked in the top 10 the last several years- they're on the rise and are starting to land top 10 national recruits now. Their football program is fine.

4. UCF...do I really need to explain this one? Their football program won the national title in 2017 and has been the fastest rising program in all of NCAA. They're sending loads of kids to the NFL. Their basketball program just missed out on the Sweet 16 in 2019 and is rising as well.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:04 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:48 pm ^In response to the above post

UCF has been more successful than OU in recent history, given that they won a BCS Bowl over Auburn in 2018.

Losing OU football is the only real loss in the equation, but I think you more than make up for that in basketball (and somewhat in football) with the new schools.

Texas won the title in 2005, yes. And they haven’t been relevant since Colt McCoy left in 2009. That’s the point though, that the Big 12 overall has been shit at football for 12 years. This shake-up actually adds some new heavy hitters that are badly needed. In football honestly they’re staying about pat, but in basketball they will be the best conference. That’s why I see it as a net-gain, ironically
A BCS win is not better than a playoff appearance it's very hard to make the playoffs so much so only a handful of teams have done it. OU is a much better program than UCF.

UT is very much a relevant football program it's a true blue blood spin all you want but UT is more relevant than UCF, Houston. Ect with a much larger footprint. Coaches dont leave UT or OU on their own for a reason.
Yeah, Mack Brown quit his job as coach at UT and now he's coaching UNC football into the top 20. I could argue K-State has built up a better football program than Texas the last 10 years. They were brining no sports clout to the table anymore, yet was running the conference with an iron fist in their direction. Shedding Texas and not having to kiss their ass while they fail miserably will be the a monkey off our back and is such a breathe of fresh air.

UCF was awarded the national title in 2017 by the NCAA.
https://www.bradenton.com/sports/articl ... nal%20poll.

OU football is legit good, but hinging the entire conference on the Oklahoma football program when we could bring in 4 stud basketball schools and some great up-and-coming football schools (with UCF being a proven champ) is ridiculous. These new schools aren't schmucks, they're getting NFL players drafted and getting top transfers and recruits recently as well. I think many people are also forgetting the idea that the schools we add will likely become *even better* now that they're becoming Power 5.

In other words...Big 12 football will stay about the same level as it was anyways, but now it's about to become the most dominant basketball conference in the nation. Idk how anyone see's this as a downgrade for the fans or a raw deal.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:47 am The only thing I truly care about is if the Tournament leaves KC. KU goes to the big 10 and KC has pretty much lost one of the most significant economic drivers for the first half of the year. Local economy suffers if KU leaves big 12 and allows it to fall apart, so at the end of the day, no matter how far out you want to view this issue, the macro effects will always be a negative…
If the Big 12 stays intact and adds these new teams, not only will the Big 12 tourney stay in KC...we'll also now have a shot at getting the football championship here in KC too. The lease is up after 2021 for that game.

The rumor has always been that it was in Dallas was because UT had an iron grip on the conference and used their leverage to make them put it there. With Texas out, that game could very well change now or be on a rotating basis.

The exciting thing for us locally about UT & OU leaving is that it probably makes KC the new epicenter or power broker in the conference now, given that KU will be the new top dog financially and KC being the geographic center now closest to the many prime Big 12 schools (KU, KSU, ISU, OSU). It's very exciting and promising for us locally with UT out, in my opinion. Game very well could go to Arrowhead Stadium.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:35 pm It's funny how KC_Jayhawk conveniently leaves out UCF & BYU but focuses in on Cincy & Houston

1. Cincinnati has been a great football program since the mid 2000's, there's no "coach gonna leave for UT and screw the program" because they've been consistently for over a decade- and still rising. Their basketball program also has been successful.

2. BYU has been very successful football program for decades now- the 2nd overall pick in the draft *this year* was the BYU QB Zack Wilson. Again, no coach has left and screwed the program and their basketball program is great.

3. Houston U. basketball went to the Final Four this year and has been consistently ranked in the top 10 the last several years- they're on the rise and are starting to land top 10 national recruits now. Their football program is fine.

4. UCF...do I really need to explain this one? Their football program won the national title in 2017 and has been the fastest rising program in all of NCAA. They're sending loads of kids to the NFL. Their basketball program just missed out on the Sweet 16 in 2019 and is rising as well.
Dude you are pathetic, sorry but true. Read my post. I did mention UCF. No one cares about these teams in Kansas City. These teams are not natural nor geographically situated as rivals.
Last edited by KC_JAYHAWK on Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:04 am
KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:21 am I don't care about KU playing Houston, UCF or Cincy.
Proof or just your biased opinion? That's what I thought.
Last edited by KC_JAYHAWK on Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Goonies wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:19 pm KU could move to the B1G would still be a basketball powerhouse and has 1 of the most underrated football coaches plus they would make more money and be in a conference with more stability. That's nothing but a W for them.
^^^^^
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:08 pm
Proof or just your dumb opinion? That's what I thought.
KU might be the absolute worst football program of any of the major college conferences. The whole point of the restructuring that is happening is to get the best teams playing each other. Again, no one wants to play kU. Get honest about the shape of your football program.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Goonies wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:19 pm ….has 1 of the most underrated football coaches.
Good lord!
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:32 am
KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:08 pm
Proof or just your dumb opinion? That's what I thought.
KU might be the absolute worst football program of any of the major college conferences. The whole point of the restructuring that is happening is to get the best teams playing each other. Again, no one wants to play kU. Get honest about the shape of your football program.
Basketball brings in most of KUs revenue. Re-alignment isn't all about football. In 2019, KU was ranked #28 in athletic revenue nationally, most of it from their basketball program from being highlighted on ESPN most Monday and Tuesday nights. KU basketball is a national brand along with UNC, Kentucky, Duke.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:40 amRe-alignment isn't all about football.
No, it actually is. And no number of KU fans saying it is going to change that. Name one team that’s moved conferences because of their basketball program. If that was the case, KU would have went to the B1G instead of Nebraska or to the SEC instead of Missouri. Your best play is to stick with the hand you’ve been dealt instead of becoming the new UT, always thinking your program is better than it actually is.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:07 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:35 pm It's funny how KC_Jayhawk conveniently leaves out UCF & BYU but focuses in on Cincy & Houston

Dude you are pathetic, sorry but true. Read my post. I did mention UCF. No one cares about these teams in Kansas City. These teams are not natural nor geographically situated as rivals.
Nope you talked about the Cincy & Houston programs and skipped over UCF and BYU.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

You all realize none of this matters anyway because the Big 10 isn't gonna take KU unless their football program got substantially better. And even then, it's a maybe.

All that matters in re-alignment is football. That's where the money is.

The Big 12 is gonna add these 4 schools when they vote on Friday and that'll be it.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am The Big 12 is gonna add these 4 schools when they vote on Friday and that'll be it.
I wonder if Texas and Oklahoma get a vote.
KC is the way to be!
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:11 am
KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:07 pm

Nope you talked about the Cincy & Houston programs and skipped over UCF and BYU.
Damn, you are just plain ignorant. I see I mentioned UCF TWICE below:

How about we agree to disagree? :). Houston, Cincy have good football programs going on now, but they won't sustain it because the coaches will leave for bigger program and those schools don't have a national draw like TX or OU. There is also no natural or geographical rivalry with those teams along with UCF, that is why KU and Istate would be better off in the B1G. I don't care about KU playing Houston, UCF or Cincy.
Last edited by KC_JAYHAWK on Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am You all realize none of this matters anyway because the Big 10 isn't gonna take KU unless their football program got substantially better. And even then, it's a maybe.

All that matters in re-alignment is football. That's where the money is.

The Big 12 is gonna add these 4 schools when they vote on Friday and that'll be it.
Yep, wrong again. But oh well, keep spewing lies, no big deal. Notice KU is #28 and that is with a bad football team that can only get better.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances