TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:58 pm So what is driving conference realignment? Football or basketball.
Football. All the way.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by beautyfromashes »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:13 pm Washington & Oregon have applied for Big 10 membership
https://twitter.com/ryan_kartje/status ... AH00-LLndg
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Basically College Sports just need to consolidate into two conferences and call it a day. Lol this is a joke.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Welcome to the Big 12 now!
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:26 pm What a power play by the B1G. Now have footprints in NYC, Chicago, and LA
will CA cable TV subscribers have to pay for BTN?
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:58 pm So what is driving conference realignment? Football or basketball.
$
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Just merge the rest of the PAC 12 into the new Big 12 in 2024. We’ll have the Mega 22, the old “deuce-deuce”. It would have memeber teams East-West coasts. Media wise it will have exclusive markets like Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Houston, but also will compete well in SF, LA, SD. Just go for it and see what happens
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:52 pm Just merge the rest of the PAC 12 into the new Big 12 in 2024. We’ll have the Mega 22, the old “deuce-deuce”. It would have memeber teams East-West coasts. Media wise it will have exclusive markets like Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Houston, but also will compete well in SF, LA, SD. Just go for it and see what happens
That's going to happen. Not the entire Pac 12 but I can't imagine the Big 12 having anything less than 18 teams by 2024.

Arizona
Arizona St
BYU
UTAH

Adding Colorado and Oregon would be great as well.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... o-big-ten/

So here’s my proposal for the Big 12 Conference:

East: West Virginia, UCF, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, Houston, Oklahoma State, Baylor

West: BYU, Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, TCU, Texas Tech

Keeps most rivalries intact and works with the geography. Yes, TCU is in DFW but there are so many Californians that attend the school it makes sense. Tech is sort of caught in the middle.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:55 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... o-big-ten/

So here’s my proposal for the Big 12 Conference:

East: West Virginia, UCF, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, Houston, Oklahoma State, Baylor

West: BYU, Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, TCU, Texas Tech

Keeps most rivalries intact and works with the geography. Yes, TCU is in DFW but there are so many Californians that attend the school it makes sense. Tech is sort of caught in the middle.
It won't really matter much anyway. They're all in the same conference so they're all gonna be playing each other most of the time.

Big 12 should drop UCF & Houston
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

A few things I have read is that the PAC 12 survives and expands by taking teams from the Big 12. So who knows? It's pure speculation at this point of time.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:29 am A few things I have read is that the PAC 12 survives and expands by taking teams from the Big 12. So who knows? It's pure speculation at this point of time.
Big 12 is in a more favorable position than PAC 12 at this point, I doubt they’re able to canibalize big 12 teams.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:03 am
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:29 am A few things I have read is that the PAC 12 survives and expands by taking teams from the Big 12. So who knows? It's pure speculation at this point of time.
Big 12 is in a more favorable position than PAC 12 at this point, I doubt they’re able to canibalize big 12 teams.
Teams changing conferences is all about the Benjamins and the Big 12 losing Texas and Oklahoma hurts the pocketbook. And adding teams to make it a 16 team conference just dilutes the money more. OK State could be poached if made an offer, and possibly Baylor. Even BYU could change its mind if approached, even Houston. And some speculate about Iowa State and the Big 10.
Money not loyalty will drive the decisions made.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

They're significantly weaker than the Big 12. No chance.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

I heard today thar the pac12 is whispering with the acc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:38 pm
In what way or ways?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:50 am
In what way or ways?
Total viewership for top five NCAAF conference championship games.

SEC - 15.3mm (8.16)
B1G - 11.6mm (6.21)
Big 12 - 8.0mm (4.83)
PAC-12 - 4.2mm (2.46)
AAC - 3.4mm (2.04)
ACC - 2.6mm (1.53)

That game was without Texas and OU.

Also Big XII is arguably the best basketball conference already. Outside of Arizona and Oregon, Pac 12 is pretty weak. Over the past five NCAA tournaments, Big XII got 32 bids (27 if not including OU and TX). Pac-12 secured just 18 bids and USC and UCLA claimed seven of those 18
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:50 am
In what way or ways?
I read that PAC is only gonna be making like $30 mil per school now without USC & UCLA whereas the Big 12 is around $50 mil.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:41 pm Yeah Pac 12 is cooked. Oregon & Washington have reached out to the B1G. If I'm the Big 12 I do everything I can and undercut them to get those schools
Pac 12 commish was complaining that Big 12 is trying to poach the hell out of them. Seems like a few of them atleast will eventually come over.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:15 pm
Fountains wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:41 pm Yeah Pac 12 is cooked. Oregon & Washington have reached out to the B1G. If I'm the Big 12 I do everything I can and undercut them to get those schools
Pac 12 commish was complaining that Big 12 is trying to poach the hell out of them. Seems like a few of them atleast will eventually come over.
Need to make sure it's the correct few. I also wonder where all this would leave institutions like Stanford and California which are two of the premier academic institutions that also play major college sports? Stay in the diminished Pac 12? Join the Big 1G? They seem a poor fit for the Big XII which has become a collection good sports programs that (with the exception of Kansas) are not their state's flagship university. Along those line, Oregon and Washington would be a huge boost to the Big XII in terms of prestige as they are the flagship universities of their states. Utah, Arizona and ASU would be nice additions as well but Arizona does not have a quality football program.