TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:08 pm https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/big-12 ... h-colorado

I link this article because it contains the only map I can find that reflects what the B12 will most likely ultimately look like in the foreseeable future. There is no doubt that the geographic and population center of the conference will shift to the west as new teams join leaving KC no longer in the center of conference activity. I would think KC might start getting some competition from Denver or San Antonio or some similarly well centered point in the conference going forward. I am glad to hear that the B12 wants to affirm its presence in KC for basketball. Cannot see KC having sole ownership past the next few years - I suspect there will be too much competition. It will be interesting to have people from Florida, Arizona, Cincy and Utah up in KC for the tourney (and wasn't Houston just in KC for the NCAA regional?).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by AllThingsKC »

Looks more like a Southwestern conference than a Midwestern conference. But not too shabby.
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Big 12 Men and Women's tournament to stay in KC through 2031. Good news. Hope the B12 in it present forms survives further realignment and the NCAA doesn't mess with the tournament to the point that conference tournaments become archaic. With the increased footprint, fans from Arizona, Colorado and Utah will be in town for future tournaments; not just a midwestern affair like the old B8 (+ Texas in the B12).

And this year, fans will get to experience some mild weather for once in KC during the tourney. Thinking about heading down myself to see an early random contest.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -city-2031
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:08 am fans from Arizona, Colorado and Utah will be in town for future tournaments
No. No they won't. At least not in any significant numbers.
KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Here's a random article predicting K-State will join the SEC and KU will join the Big Ten.

http://flywareagle.com/posts/fsu-clemso ... ng-big-ten
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:24 am
Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:08 am fans from Arizona, Colorado and Utah will be in town for future tournaments
No. No they won't. At least not in any significant numbers.
There will be fans in town. It won't be in the tens of thousands but Arizona, for instance, is a perennial top 5-10 basketball school so there will be people travelling. I was at the NCAA last year when Miami was in the regional here and was kind of surprised how many Miami basketball fans made the trip up here.

Update: Went down to the P&L today during the B12 tourney. The place was hopping. We parked at Liberty Memorial overflow lots (the place was packed) and walked downtown from there. Saw cars from all the B12 states at the Memorial (with the exception of Ohio) with Iowa being the most prevalent. While walking around downtown, we saw quite a few people wearing their B12 school gear. Lot's of BYU fans. Quite a few UCF fans and tons of people from Oklahoma and Texas. Most of the fans were in and around the P&L District but quite a few ventured out to the RM and we saw a lot at Union Station and along Main Street and on the streetcar.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Can we rename the thread yet?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:43 pm Can we rename the thread yet?
There's a Big 12 Tournament thread (not all that far back) and I should have put my post there. If there's a moderator around that wants to move my initial and ensuing posts there, that would be OK.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Highlander wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:32 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:43 pm Can we rename the thread yet?
There's a Big 12 Tournament thread (not all that far back) and I should have put my post there. If there's a moderator around that wants to move my initial and ensuing posts there, that would be OK.
Nah it’s not even about your post, I’m just annoyed constantly reading an all caps title for the thread when the conference is up to 16 teams and stabilized in KC through 2031
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Report: Big 12 pursuing Duke to join the conference
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-BB1kwcnY
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:42 pm Report: Big 12 pursuing Duke to join the conference
I've seen speculation of another B1G and SEC raid, this time of ACC football programs so I guess this is not so far fetched (although it would impact one of the greatest rivalries in college basketball Duke/NCar). I see Gonzaga speculation as well in the article. Looks like the B12 wants to set itself up as the premier basketball conference.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:23 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:42 pm Report: Big 12 pursuing Duke to join the conference
I've seen speculation of another B1G and SEC raid, this time of ACC football programs so I guess this is not so far fetched (although it would impact one of the greatest rivalries in college basketball Duke/NCar). I see Gonzaga speculation as well in the article. Looks like the B12 wants to set itself up as the premier basketball conference.
Right now, conference media payouts are combined with football and basketball. If that changes and the Big 12 has the premier teams/matchups, I think they start catching the payout of the SEC/B1G. Have to remember that Duke also has a football program that is getting better. We're definitely positioning ourselves as the third power conference.