TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:34 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... uncertain/
Some smoke that the Big 12 might be trying to expand further west taking the "Four Corner Schools"- Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. Would likely mean the end of the Pac12 as USC and UCLA are already moving to the B1G. Washington and Oregon would be big schools that might also move to B1G or some other conference. Stanford and California want no part of joining "flyover country" Big12.
The four corner schools would not contribute much to football, Utah isn't a bad program, but Arizona joining the B12 with Houston would make it easily the best basketball conference in the nation. Plus the B12 could use 3 additional flagship schools to the 3 they will be down to once Texas and OU leaves.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KU got absolutely screwed out of playing in the Kansas City regional. Holy crap.

I think this is the NCAA's way of getting back at KU for evading that Adida's scandal from 2018 due to NIL. Wow.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:09 pm KU got absolutely screwed out of playing in the Kansas City regional. Holy crap.

I think this is the NCAA's way of getting back at KU for evading that Adida's scandal from 2018 due to NIL. Wow.
Getting blown out in the B12 final wasn't a good look and it was the second time in a week they had lost to Texas. Not sure KU deserved the #1 overall seed. Not sure Bama did either but there wasn't a clear dominant team this season.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Highlander wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:58 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:09 pm KU got absolutely screwed out of playing in the Kansas City regional. Holy crap.

Getting blown out in the B12 final wasn't a good look and it was the second time in a week they had lost to Texas. Not sure KU deserved the #1 overall seed. Not sure Bama did either but there wasn't a clear dominant team this season.
They didn't need the #1 overall seed.

They just needed to be #2 and ahead of Houston. There's no logical explanation for how they ended up behind Houston at #3...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:09 pm They didn't need the #1 overall seed.

They just needed to be #2 and ahead of Houston. There's no logical explanation for how they ended up behind Houston at #3...
Not even sure it's an advantage for Houston or their fans. I assume they'd rather be in the west going to Las Vegas than coming to Kansas City. Doesn't make much sense.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Over the past 5-6 years I've become convinced the selection committee is more concerned about ratings from potential second/third round matchups or other appealing storylines than fair and equitable matchups based on their own parameters like Kenpom or Quad 1 wins. It doesn't make sense to try and make sense of any of it any more.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

In a year where both KU and Mizzou finished strong and looked to make some noise in the tournament, KSU is the only local team to get past the first week. Anything can happen in a single elimination tournament.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

K-State also has two All-Americans on their team. They’re not scrubs.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:48 pm K-State also has two All-Americans on their team. They’re not scrubs.
KSU is a very good team. Better than Kentucky. It just wasn't the team I would have picked going into the tournament to be the only team from the area to get to the second week. Nowell may be the best PG in the country.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

K-State lives or dies by Nowell. If he's dropping dimes and hitting shots, K-State might be unbeatable. When he's forcing things and missing and turning it over, they're average at best. Hopefully playing in New York will take him up to an even higher level but I could also see the opposite happening.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:03 pm K-State lives or dies by Nowell. If he's dropping dimes and hitting shots, K-State might be unbeatable. When he's forcing things and missing and turning it over, they're average at best. Hopefully playing in New York will take him up to an even higher level but I could also see the opposite happening.
Kind of true, yes. They still also have Keyontae Johnson, fellow all-american. But yes Nowell is the engine.

With that being said, this is why I think KSU is one only 3 teams that could beat Alabama. It would take them playing at Nowell's high level and they would be one of the very few who'd have a shot. KU & Purdue were the other two chances. But a KSU that's on its game that day is one of the rare teams that can beat anyone.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:54 pm
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:03 pm K-State lives or dies by Nowell. If he's dropping dimes and hitting shots, K-State might be unbeatable. When he's forcing things and missing and turning it over, they're average at best. Hopefully playing in New York will take him up to an even higher level but I could also see the opposite happening.
Kind of true, yes. They still also have Keyontae Johnson, fellow all-american. But yes Nowell is the engine.

With that being said, this is why I think KSU is one only 3 teams that could beat Alabama. It would take them playing at Nowell's high level and they would be one of the very few who'd have a shot. KU & Purdue were the other two chances. But a KSU that's on its game that day is one of the rare teams that can beat anyone.
There are three teams still in the tournament that have already beaten Bama (UConn, Gonzaga and Tennessee). I am sure there are others that can do it as well.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Highlander wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:07 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:54 pm

There are three teams still in the tournament that have already beaten Bama (UConn, Gonzaga and Tennessee). I am sure there are others that can do it as well.
That was early season or when they were on road. This team right now is by far the best. I don’t think any team other than those can at this point in season.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Looks like the B12 will be adding Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado to the conference. That makes the B12 footprint span from Florida to Utah and West Virginia to Arizona including all continental US time zones (by virtue of Arizona's lack of adherence to DST). The core of the conference remains in the midwest and Texas, however, and Kansas City more or less remains in the geographic center of the conference. Hopefully, KC can remain the site of the Basketball Tournament. It will be fun in the future with fans from Cincinnati, Florida, Utah, Houston, BYU and Arizona. KC's has proven itself as a great host for such events but I suspect the pressure will be on in the new Big 12 to move the tourney around. KU's pull will be even more depleted with the four new additions.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Highlander wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:39 am Looks like the B12 will be adding Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado to the conference. That makes the B12 footprint span from Florida to Utah and West Virginia to Arizona including all continental US time zones (by virtue of Arizona's lack of adherence to DST). The core of the conference remains in the midwest and Texas, however, and Kansas City more or less remains in the geographic center of the conference. Hopefully, KC can remain the site of the Basketball Tournament. It will be fun in the future with fans from Cincinnati, Florida, Utah, Houston, BYU and Arizona. KC's has proven itself as a great host for such events but I suspect the pressure will be on in the new Big 12 to move the tourney around. KU's pull will be even more depleted with the four new additions.
Valid article or it didn't happen.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:40 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:39 am Looks like the B12 will be adding Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado to the conference. That makes the B12 footprint span from Florida to Utah and West Virginia to Arizona including all continental US time zones (by virtue of Arizona's lack of adherence to DST). The core of the conference remains in the midwest and Texas, however, and Kansas City more or less remains in the geographic center of the conference. Hopefully, KC can remain the site of the Basketball Tournament. It will be fun in the future with fans from Cincinnati, Florida, Utah, Houston, BYU and Arizona. KC's has proven itself as a great host for such events but I suspect the pressure will be on in the new Big 12 to move the tourney around. KU's pull will be even more depleted with the four new additions.
It has not been confirmed as of yet but it's certainly more than just speculation at least with respect to Arizona and Colorado. So I wouldn't say "didn't happen", it just hasn't been confirmed as of today.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KU is more powerful than ever now by Texas & OU leaving.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yeah, I think the new Big 12 will be completely built around KC. Basketball tourney is probably very safe based on location alone, I hope they aim for football too. Why not?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Highlander wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:33 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:40 pm
It has not been confirmed as of yet but it's certainly more than just speculation at least with respect to Arizona and Colorado. So I wouldn't say "didn't happen", it just hasn't been confirmed as of today.
I'm reading the speculation as well. It does sound like a possibility and that after/if one makes the jump that others will follow. Grabbing the four corners and some lesser pieces from the ACC once it dissolves (Clemson, FSU and others go B1G or SEC) we have the basis for a very good conference. Sure wish we still had Mizzou and Nebraska.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:09 pm KU is more powerful than ever now by Texas & OU leaving.
K-State more so, having a competent football ($$$) program. It'll be an interesting fight for the new "top dog" over the next few years.

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:48 pm Yeah, I think the new Big 12 will be completely built around KC. Basketball tourney is probably very safe based on location alone, I hope they aim for football too. Why not?
Maybe for a early-midseason B12 game(s). No chance a December championship game is being played outdoors at Arrowhead nowadays, Jerry's World it is (locked until 2025 already).