Jack Gage American Tavern

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
markf
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Jack Gage American Tavern

Post by markf »

dangerboy wrote: Tried this place on Friday night.  It's a nice place with a lot of potential, but I can't quite figure out what they are trying to be.  Upscale?  Neighborhoodie?  Bar?  Restaurant?  The food is very good, but the menu is quite random.  

I wish they had put the bar along a longer wall, it's too small where it is.  And the place was crawling with lawyers.  It was like happy hour in an Ally McBeal episode. 
Gotta agree on this one.  I can't figure out what this place wants to be.  Aside from some boxer cutouts on the walls I could not have told you it was an early 20th Century American Boxing themed bar.

Friday afternoon and since I wasn't wearing a suit and tie I felt under-dressed.
"Here!" shall of course be short for "Here I am, rock you like a hurricane."
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Went there with a group Saturday night after my choral concert...had the nicest server in the world, although they're clearly working out some glitches...we got there about 10 p.m., and the chick was a bit harried, having been working since 8:30 that morning...she was fairly seasoned and said a lot of the staff is super young and apparently quite prone to not showing up for their shifts. She was really attentive, though, and took care of us.  The menu's pretty eclectic, in a fun way. Most of us got the slider appetizer with our drinks, which is a trio of mini burgers, mini chicken sandwiches, or mini crab cake sandwiches, or one of each or any combo thereof.  Each type comes with a fancy sauce/relish specific to the sandwich.  I got the one-of-each combo, all were good, but the mini crab cake slider was particularly delicious.  I'd definitely go back for a real meal, but the late evening snack was great.  The place is cozy, warm, and attractive.  Nice, but not stuffy. Pleasantly non-greasy spoon menu offerings, but not really overpriced, for the most part. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

had dinner there tonight after being turned away at cafe trio. i am very impressed with the space and food (the bar was admittedly low). service was good, decent wine choices, and OMG it was busy! reminds me of the instant success of westside local.

i had the coconut shrimp and the b/f had the roasted chicken, both we tasty and nicely (yet simply) presented. my only complaint was the booth seats were not deep enough (minor, but still an annoyance).

looking forward to breakfast on the weekends.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Jack Gage = awesome. I forsee this being a regular hangout for me.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

We checked this place out tonight.  I really liked, although I thought the interior felt a bit chainy to me.  Food was good, love the beer selection, discovered Grimbergen, yum yum.  Split the mushroom burger and chopped tavern salad, which both were very tasty.  Tank 7 on tap makes me happy wherever we go.  :) 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I had the bison burger which was excellent!  I was a bit bored by the decor.  The bar was cool, didn't make it upstairs.  $5 for a Boulevard though was a bit steep!  $3.75 for crap bottles - even PBR!  But the service was good, the bartender was friendly.  The food will be the draw for me, I'm excited to try the crab macaroni. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: $5 for a Boulevard though was a bit steep!  $3.75 for crap bottles - even PBR!   
Still less than Harry's Country Club :)
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

Had brunch on Sunday and was not impressed.  Had a turkey and ham open faced sandwich, not sure what it was called.  Had a cheesy/mustard sauce on it that was not good.  G/F had a country fried chicken sandwich that was decent but very plain.  Gravy didn't have much flavor at all. 
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

KCAppraiser wrote: Had a turkey and ham open faced sandwich, not sure what it was called.  Had a cheesy/mustard sauce on it that was not good.
The Kentucky Hot Brown.  More like a hot mess.  I ordered this upon suggestion from our waiter.  The cheese sauce is overwhelming.
rosedalian
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by rosedalian »

I haven't been there yet, but they don't seem to be hurting without my business.  I tried to go on a Friday at 6 a few weeks ago and the parking lot was jam packed.  We ended up at Planet Sub, which was perfectly adequate and quite a bit less expensive!  I'll try for a weeknight sometime soon.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

rosedalian wrote: I haven't been there yet, but they don't seem to be hurting without my business.  I tried to go on a Friday at 6 a few weeks ago and the parking lot was jam packed.  We ended up at Planet Sub, which was perfectly adequate and quite a bit less expensive!  I'll try for a weeknight sometime soon.
Nice versatility.  :lol:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/02/ ... n_file.php

owners of jack gage file for bankruptcy. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I was just wondering how this place was doing. I hadn't been since it a couple weeks after it opened. That sucks. It just wasn't on my radar.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

somebody call Gordon Ramsey!
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

Doors closed at jack gage.  Anyone know anything?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

cdm2p wrote: Doors closed at jack gage.  Anyone know anything?
Closed for good, here is everything you need to know:

http://tinyurl.com/5skp2cl
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Hopefully Joe Wilcox can get another gig...he's a helluva good dude.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New owners for former Jack Gage tavern on Main
• Bennie Vitale of Vitale Realtors has negotiated a new lease for the former Jack Gage American Tavern space at 5031 Main St. A local partnership plans to open a neighborhood restaurant and bar in the spot, but they are not ready to announce a name, menu or opening date, saying it was too early in the process.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »