iPhone/AT&T question?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

iPhone/AT&T question?

Post by jdubwaldo »

I apologize for the randomness of this question but I need help!  After much anticipation, my hubby and I finally cancelled our Sprint contracts and got iPhones last week.  I love the phone, and he really really loves the phone - mostly all of the cool apps, but I'm finding their service to be TERRIBLE.  Literally every single call I have been on since we got these in the past week has dropped.  I don't think the network for web surfing or email is particularly great either compared with my old Sprint BB Pearl or even TMobile work BB Curve....

We are considering telling them to take their phones and service and stick them, and switch back to Sprint or go to Verizon for the droid.  I wasn't sure if this is a blip or others experience this regularly? 

If anyone has any thoughts, would really appreciate it!  8)
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: iPhone/AT&T question?

Post by KC0KEK »

I don't have an iPhone, and I haven't been an AT&T customer for several years, so I don't have any first-hand experience. But you're describing a problem that many, many other iPhone owners nationwide have been complaining about over the past year. In other words, this problem is not unique to the KC market.

AT&T is scrambling to add voice and data capacity to keep up with demand. I don't know when the KC market upgrades will be complete. But if it's that much of a headache, then you probably should go to one of the AT&T stores and complain so that it's in your account file. Also, verify how many days you have remaining before you can cancel your contract, just so you know in case you decide to switch to another carrier.

I hope that helps.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

In what part of town do you use your phone?  Other than a few known holes along State Line Road, I have always had excellent service throughout the metro area and most of rural Missouri.  I rarely experience dropped calls or the other problems you describe.  I fled Sprint for ATT and would never go back.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Good call on complaining/inquiring about the service, we have 30 days, so until 12/25 to cancel....

I'm happy to hear others have good luck with AT&T....  We've had trouble everywhere we primarily use these things, Ward Parkway, Southwest Trafficway, State Line, Wornall, Corporate Woods....
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I've had my iphone and ATT service for about a year now, after having switched away from Verizon.

I travel quite frequently for work and have not had any service issues to speak of in KC or anywhere else I have traveled.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The Verizon network is worth every penny . . . I'll leave it at that. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I thought Iphone's exclusive deal with AT&T was expiring and Verizon was going to be a carrier soon.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The Verizon network is worth every penny . . . I'll leave it at that. 
Agreed.  And on that note, the Eris is great.  I thought the Droid was a little clunky by comparison, but it's the way to go if you want a physical keyboard.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Thank you so much for your thoughts. More mixed reviews....  :?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Verizon won't get the iPhone for at least another year or two, once they switch over from the old CDMA network to GSM. Apple isn't going to create a CDMA phone just for Verizon when 75% of the planet uses GSM and Verizon is going that way anyway.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: Apple isn't going to create a CDMA phone just for Verizon when 75% of the planet uses GSM and Verizon is going that way anyway.
Don't underestimate Apple's intent to take over the world.  I have to think that they are getting sick of their otherwise popular product and brand image getting roundly trashed for someone else's network issues.  What better way to resolve that then to make one available on the best network?
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

hopefully they will make it available to the T-mobile network which is GSM.  I have a G1 and an ipod touch which I really like.  I would like to drop the G1 and get the iphone and combine the two.  Then I would have a 32 GB ipod touch for sale.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

T-Mobile's data network really lags.  For all the criticism ATT gets, T-Mobile is further behind.  They have only just begun rolling out 3G at a time when the other US carriers are prepped to move up to 4G.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I'm leaning towards getting the Verizon Droid.  By the time they would have a second generation Verizon iPhone then we can get that in a couple years.  Rumor is they are developing an iPhone for Verizon to be released Q3 2010.  Would make sense - partially why all of their recent ads bashing AT&T's seemingly crappy network.  1. to sell the Droid and get people locked into contracts, and 2. to prepare to steal the iPhone lovers from AT&T and 3. to sell the holdouts who have wanted an iphone but wouldn't buy one because of AT&T.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

AT&T coverage can be problematic, depending on where you are.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

are you using a 3GS?. i rarely make traditional voice calls anymore on my 3G (SMS/social networks/email have replaced), but i've only experienced dropped calls a few times (way less than i did on sprint). regardless, apple continues to trump all other players when it comes to pleasing media lovers. if you're not that into legally downloading music, videos, or podcasts (and don't use itunes at all) then you don't really need an iphone.

i use nearly every smartphone on all national carriers as part of my job. verizon is absolutely the best overall voice/data network, but with a middling device selection (before the droid and droid eris, anyway) does it matter?

if i were in the market for something other than an iphone, it would be:

1. htc hero/droid eris
2. motorola droid

the rest all have major design flaws or content limitations, yet cost the same ($200, on contract) as most other smartphones. if i didn't have a smartphone right now, i'd wait for 2010 to see what apple and google do to stay competitive (sorry, palm/RIM/microsoft... you are bit players now).
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Did you look at the HTC Hero before leving Sprint?  It can do anything that any other smartphone can do, and even do some things better, but without the ATT/Verizion plan prices.

I got one last week and I have liked it very much so far, and haven't found anything that my wife's iphone can do that my phone can't.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

DaveKCMO - Thank you so much, this is really helpful.  Yes we both got the 3GS.  Agreed, I don't use voicecalling a ton either, but when I do mostly to talk to my dad and the inlaws, everytime it cuts me off makes me crazy   ](*,)  This is what networks did 10 years ago, noone's should be doing this now in the KC metro, it's not like I'm trying to use out in the sticks somewhere....  The mister wants to stick with what we just got because he loves the media capabilities.  I'm agitated and want to get the Motorola Droid, seems like what people say is consistently the best alternative.

I mostly want to be able to wirelessly sync up our calendars, although I'm not sure my 3GS is working for that now, but I'm sure it is user error since this is so new to me.

shaffe - I didn't look at the HTC Hero but apparently should have.  Maybe if we would crawl back they would waive the fee we had to pay to cancel my hubby's line early.  :)  haha!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

shaffe wrote: but without the ATT/Verizion plan prices.
Just pray every day that you never have to use their customer support or walk into one of their stores and that 5$ a month savings will sure seem like a great deal. 
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Just pray every day that you never have to use their customer support or walk into one of their stores and that 5$ a month savings will sure seem like a great deal. 
I've had consistently excellent experiences at the downtown store. Customer service is what you make it.

I'll second that I think the HTC Hero is the best phone available right now, and I still contend that Sprint has a good network. Verizon's is obviously excellent, but they strip their phones. The HTC Touch Pro came to Verizon with a weaker processor and less memory. Besides, you can roam for free on most Sprint plans.