The Pitch - Best of Kansas City 2009

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Pitch - Best of Kansas City 2009

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: The Pitch - Best of Kansas City 2009

Post by zonk »

worthless.....the list and the rag.  Does anyone still read the pitch?
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

I don't understand how major city newspapers are going under and the "free" culture ones are still around....
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Jill ja wrote: I don't understand how major city newspapers are going under and the "free" culture ones are still around....
I am sure that they have taken a hit on the ad revenue like everyone else - but subscription revenue was never part of their business model so I suspect that leaves them only facing a single-edged knife as opposed to the double-edged blades traditional papers are facing (falling ad revenue AND massive subscriber churn). 

Their distribution has to be cheaper too, since they only deliver to pick up locations rather than door-to-door.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

not to mention, they only come out once a week, with only one long piece of journalism.  The rest of the content is columns/reviews.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ComandanteCero wrote: not to mention, they only come out once a week, with only one long piece of journalism.  The rest of the content is columns/reviews.
That's one more "long piece of Journalisim" than the Star puts out in a typical week.  :lol:
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The Pitch is owned by the Village Voice chain, which is much better managed than McClatchy, owners of the star.  Alternative weeklies have much operating costs in general.

The Star is actually profitable.  Most of its cuts have been to help pay down the parent company's crushing debt load.  The Star would be in decent shape if wasn't owned by such a terrible company.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

^ good point. 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I actually enjoy these lists because it gives me some dining suggestions when I am back in town which I hope will be 3-4 times per year from now on rather than once a year.  I don't get the BBQ selection(s) though.  They essentially gerrymandered the areas to exclude the urban core which IMO has some of the better BBQ's in the city (Fiorelli's being my personal favorite).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah why no "central" location on many of the list options?  Odd for the Pitch.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Best Mex, Fiesta Azteca. I can't argue with that.

Best Diner, Neighbors. I like it but I wouldn't call it the best. Gingers in Raytown, Tim's in Grandview are both better in my opinion. Maybe because you can still smoke.

Best Thai, Thai Orchid. Probably at the bottom of my list behind Thai Place, and Thai Spice.

Best BBQ East, Summit Hickory Pit. Whats with all this Lees Summit love? The Pit is good.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The Best Of is an advertising vehicle.  It's not objective and getting outraged about that fact is useless.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

lol!!!!!! It is!!! They hit us up every year for advertising right before this issue and their summer "forks in the air" thing
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote: I actually enjoy these lists because it gives me some dining suggestions when I am back in town which I hope will be 3-4 times per year from now on rather than once a year.  I don't get the BBQ selection(s) though.  They essentially gerrymandered the areas to exclude the urban core which IMO has some of the better BBQ's in the city (Fiorelli's being my personal favorite).
I agree. I don't get all the criticism - it is what it is. It has given me a few ideas for places to check out.

Agree on the BBQ selections too - very odd. Adam's Rib is closed. And I know this is advertiser driven, but really, no Oklahoma Joe's, Gates, Fiorella's, LC's, Hayward's or Arthur Bryant's? That loses all credibility right there.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I think sometimes they also try to spread the love around a bit so it's not as repetitive every year.  The real bests don't change that often.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Adam's Rib is already closed?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

2008's list was much better including best website :)

its not all picked by ad revenue, I know a few businesses on their list that have never given pitch a dime.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AJoD wrote: Adam's Rib is already closed?
Really friendly peopple + really clean restaurant + really,really mediocre bbq = not making it in KC.  The "running a restaurant" side of the operation seemed to know what they were doing but they needed somebody else back in the pit. 
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

Went to two place on the list this week that were both new to me, and have been very impressed with both. 

Best Barbecue: North
Smokin' Guns BBQ
1218 Swift Ave.
North Kansas City, MO
I have been using their hot bbq rub for about a year now, because it's a great rub. So I am happy I found this place, because it could have had been one of the best ribs I have eaten in a restaurant. This joint is a touch small and very busy, but worth the trip. Brisket was a touch dry, but they have a nice sauce that saved the sandwich.  It is open 10-6 m-f, so go about 11:30 to get in quick and get a set, which are at a premium because of the size of the place. 

Best Ethnic Grocery Store
Bonito Michoacan
1150 Minnesota Ave.
Kansas City, Kan., KS
We went to because the article talked about the Taco counter.  It kicks ass! If you like the street taco style you will not find a better one in town. If you can't read or speak Spanish, just point at what you want. Make sure you go back to the meat counter in the back of the store, and check out the fresh made chorizo, wow. The store is big and clean and busy, enjoy.

I do believe this list is flawed, Oklahoma Joes for example, but here are two to try if you have not.