Could KC host the FIFA World Cup?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Could KC host the FIFA World Cup?

Post by KCMax »

Seems like the longest of long shots, but Kansas City is on a list of 27 cities included in the United States bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup. The U.S. committee will submit a bid to FIFA next May and FIFA will select host countries in December 2010.

Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium on Short List of Venues for USA Bid For Fifa World Cup in 2018 or 2022

The other cities are: Atlanta; Baltimore; Boston; Charlotte, N.C.; Chicago; Cleveland; Dallas; Denver; Detroit; Houston; Los Angeles; Indianapolis; Jacksonville, Fla.; Miami; Nashville, Tenn.; New York City; Oakland; Orlando, Fla.; Philadelphia; Glendale-Phoenix, Ariz.; San Diego; San Francisco; Seattle; St. Louis; Tampa, Fla.; and Washington.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Could KC host the FIFA World Cup?

Post by dublin »

How many cities usually participate in the World Cup.  It is a multi-city event, right?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

After the great support during the WCQualifer in 2001? I don't think its a 'longshot' (assuming the US gets the bid)....middle of the country and large capacity stadium help.

Yes it is multi-site.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I thought it was a long-shot because (a) the U.S. would have to get a bid...and we just had it in 1994, and (b) Kansas City would have to emerge out of a list of 27 cities, which is a pretty long "short list." I wasn't really speaking as to how well we have supported soccer in the past. That should help, but we're still a long shot.

I think its 10-12 cities that usually host the World Cup.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: After the great support during the WCQualifer in 2001? I don't think its a 'longshot' (assuming the US gets the bid)....middle of the country and large capacity stadium help.

Yes it is multi-site.
Nine cities hosted in 1994 - Pasadena, NYC, D.C., Detroit, San Fran, Boston, Dallas, Chicago, Orlando. Foxborough/Boston was the smallest stadium at 61K. Most venues were closer to the size of Arrowhead.

I'd like to think if the US wins a bid, we would at least be strongly considered. Centrally located with a long-standing, relatively successful MLS team would both work in our favor. Although, I'm sure St. Louis and Denver would get very strong consideration as well.

Would be cool to have.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

FIFA has asked for a final list of 12-18 sites by January (or June?) and they'll make a decision of host country and venues in December.  I think it'll go back to Europe in 2018 after being away for 2010 and 2014.  Then 2022 also has non-traditional hosts likely to submit bids: Russia, Qatar, Australia.

One good thing about the US short list is that I can't see more than one Florida city being chosen, nor Baltimore AND DC.  I think KC or St Louis have a great chance of being in the group submitted to FIFA.  My final list would be:

NY
LA (San Diego no chance)
Chicago
SF or Oakland
Dallas or Houston
Philadelphia
Miami, Tampa or Orlando (Jacksonville no chance)
Seattle
DC or Baltimore
Boston
KC, St Louis or Denver
Phoenix
Detroit (Cleveland no chance)
Atlanta, Charlotte or Nashville
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Where did orlando and detroit host a match?  I can't remember and neither have a big outdoor stadium do they?

We are far from a shoe-in but I think we have a lot of positives including the Hunt family being tight with soccer....arrowhead is still one of the largest football capacity stadiums....that can't hurt.

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

not to mention we're nicely centrally located (i.e would draw fans from Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas), whereas if it were in Denver or St. Louis, I think it would be a little less convenient for those folks.

The U.S has a decent chance at landing the 2022 Cup (2018 is almost guaranteed to head back to Europe).  I also think Arrowhead can more easily accomodate natural turf vs our cross-state neighbor.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

WSPanic wrote: Nine cities hosted in 1994 - Pasadena, NYC, D.C., Detroit, San Fran, Boston, Dallas, Chicago, Orlando. Foxborough/Boston was the smallest stadium at 61K. Most venues were closer to the size of Arrowhead.

I'd like to think if the US wins a bid, we would at least be strongly considered. Centrally located with a long-standing, relatively successful MLS team would both work in our favor. Although, I'm sure St. Louis and Denver would get very strong consideration as well.

Would be cool to have.
The one major, and it was major, reason that KC did not host in '94 was because the Arrowhead field was not big enough for FIFA.  FIFA fields are bigger than football fields and the corners were too tight.  If the latest remodel did not remedy that condition then count KC out, unless FIFA changes its requirements.  There was talk of elavating the field on risers and putting in sod but it was felt that the field would have too much of a bounce for the players.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The one major, and it was major, reason that KC did not host in '94 was because the Arrowhead field was not big enough for FIFA.  FIFA fields are bigger than football fields and the corners were too tight.  If the latest remodel did not remedy that condition then count KC out, unless FIFA changes its requirements.  There was talk of elavating the field on risers and putting in sod but it was felt that the field would have too much of a bounce for the players.
Close but not quite...while Arrowhead is tight for a pitch width, it is not outside FIFA size requirements...KC/Arrowhead was a finalist in 1994.....USA Soccer wouldn't put it in the bid package and the facility wouldn't have made it to the finalist stage if the field was outside size constraints.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily25.html

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/wizard ... 95934.html
Arrowhead Stadium made a bid for the 1994 World Cup, when it last was played in the United States, and was one of the final 12 cities under consideration. But Kansas City was knocked out of consideration when FIFA ? soccer?s world governing body ? decided to go with only nine sites and selected the largest available metropolitan areas.

There were also concerns back then that the Arrowhead field was too small. But Ficklin said those concerns can be alleviated by ?notching? the corners of the field, which would involve taking several rows of seats out and filling them with removable seats.

?It?s a feature you?ll find in several new stadiums, including Reliant Stadium in Houston,? said Ficklin, who added that the money for the project would be raised privately by the host committee.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: Where did orlando and detroit host a match?  I can't remember and neither have a big outdoor stadium do they?

We are far from a shoe-in but I think we have a lot of positives including the Hunt family being tight with soccer....arrowhead is still one of the largest football capacity stadiums....that can't hurt.
Citrus Bowl in Orlando

Detroit is submitting Ford Field (which is indoors) and Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.

Failing to make the cut Thursday were Legion Field in Birmingham, Ala.; Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati; Ohio Stadium in Columbus; Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville, Ark.; Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn.; the planned Sports City USA venue in Las Vegas; the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome and TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis; the Superdome in New Orleans; Heinz Field in Pittsburgh; Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City; the Alamodome in San Antonio; and Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: Where did orlando and detroit host a match?  I can't remember and neither have a big outdoor stadium do they?
Citrus Bowl and Pontiac Silverdome
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I had no idea they would play fifa matches in an indoor sradium....I am not a very good soccer hooligan

KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The one major, and it was major, reason that KC did not host in '94 was because the Arrowhead field was not big enough for FIFA.  FIFA fields are bigger than football fields and the corners were too tight.  If the latest remodel did not remedy that condition then count KC out, unless FIFA changes its requirements.  There was talk of elavating the field on risers and putting in sod but it was felt that the field would have too much of a bounce for the players.
This is addressed in this morning's Star. The corners would be cut out and replaced with moveable seating similar to what is done in the latest generation stadia.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KCPowercat wrote: I had no idea they would play fifa matches in an indoor sradium....I am not a very good soccer hooligan
As long as they have a natural grass field.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCFutbol wrote: As long as they have a natural grass field.
The Pontiac Silverdome and Ford Field have artificial grass. Would they just truck in some grass playing surface?

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

In AKP reasoning, they would be eliminated because they didn't qualify....in real life, yes when they win the bid, they do whatever is needed like bring in grass (or in arrowhead's case, widen the corners a bit)...it certainly doesn't eliminate the facility.

Hopefully Clark has some of Lamar's pull in the US Soccer arena....that would be a blast...the Qualifer was one of the best sporting events I have been to...I was pleasantly surprised.

KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KCMax wrote: The Pontiac Silverdome and Ford Field have artificial grass. Would they just truck in some grass playing surface?
Yes. That's how it's done.

Even though there are FIFA Apporved artificial surfaces, you rarely see them used at this level.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I would think England is a huge favorite for getting the 2018 bid, since they are a football-mad country who hasn't hosted since the 60s and they will have hosted the Olympics just a few years prior.

For 2022, I would think FIFA would continue their tradition of extending the World Cup to non-traditional football countries (like they did with the US, Korea and South Africa). Russia and Australia would be prime candidates.

But hey, it would be cool if they chose the US, I just don't see the US getting the bid.

KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KCMax wrote: I would think England is a huge favorite for getting the 2018 bid, since they are a football-mad country who hasn't hosted since the 60s and they will have hosted the Olympics just a few years prior.

For 2022, I would think FIFA would continue their tradition of extending the World Cup to non-traditional football powers (like they did with the US, Korea and South Africa). Russia and Australia would be prime candidates.

But hey, it would be cool if they chose the US, I just don't see the US getting the bid.
FIFA is all about money and USA '94 had the highest attendance and had the highest revenue.