OFFICIAL - Prairiefire

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - Prairiefire

Post by Cratedigger »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:41 pm It makes no sense to me why a College Baseball HoF should belong in suburban Overland Park except tax subsidies.

Overland Park and the metro does not have a single D-1 college baseball team or any other meaningful connection to College Baseball as far as I know.

Why would anyone visit this? If anything it should be in Omaha, or Cooperstown even. College basketball experience makes sense and we could even make a reasonable argument for a CBB Hall of Fame.
Agreed.

This should be in Omaha. Or I guess Florida or California
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

This didn't hurt Overland Parks chances. From the Business Journal:
Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes was an impetus for bringing the Hall of Fame to the area. Mahomes, a two-time Super Bowl champion, played baseball at Texas Tech University and is the son of Pat Mahomes, a former Major League Baseball pitcher.

Mahomes gave an undisclosed amount of money toward bringing the Hall of Fame to Overland Park, the release said.

“I'm excited for the College Baseball Hall of Fame to call Overland Park home and join the community that I love so much," Mahomes said in the release.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:41 pm It makes no sense to me why a College Baseball HoF should belong in suburban Overland Park except tax subsidies.

Overland Park and the metro does not have a single D-1 college baseball team or any other meaningful connection to College Baseball as far as I know.

Why would anyone visit this? If anything it should be in Omaha, or Cooperstown even. College basketball experience makes sense and we could even make a reasonable argument for a CBB Hall of Fame.
OP was home to the NCAA for decades, other than Mahomes' money, that is the only connection I can think of. It's not likely to be a highly visited place regardless of where it is.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:14 pm

OP was home to the NCAA for decades, other than Mahomes' money, that is the only connection I can think of. It's not likely to be a highly visited place regardless of where it is.
Mahomes has no connection to OP.

As neither do most pro-athletes in the area, despite the clamoring of folks on here who are obsessed into thinking HNW families all reside in OP..
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

im2kull wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:31 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:14 pm

Mahomes has no connection to OP.

As neither do most pro-athletes in the area, despite the clamoring of folks on here who are obsessed into thinking HNW families all reside in OP..
Prairiefire is basically Leawood which does have HNW families.

Also that area isn't too far from Loch Lloyd
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I heard a rumor that Mahomes asked how steady the CWS was in Omaha & I thought that idea silly at the time. I still say there is zero way they'd ever let it walk but who knows the pull of 15.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm I heard a rumor that Mahomes asked how steady the CWS was in Omaha & I thought that idea silly at the time. I still say there is zero way they'd ever let it walk but who knows the pull of 15.
Bluhawk Baseball Stadium inbound
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'd think they'd get more attendance from a college soccer hall of fame given the number of soccer tournaments in JoCo just down the street from PrairieFire. Seems like there are a lot of soccer hall of fames but nothing dedicated to college.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm I heard a rumor that Mahomes asked how steady the CWS was in Omaha & I thought that idea silly at the time. I still say there is zero way they'd ever let it walk but who knows the pull of 15.
The NCAA is contractually bound to Omaha til at least 2035. That was the trade off to Omaha building a new baseball stadium.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:29 am
The NCAA is contractually bound to Omaha til at least 2035. That was the trade off to Omaha building a new baseball stadium.
Aware of that and also aware that things have shaken up within the NCAA with all the new moves & stuff & things are about to change big time. Might have to go to court but there is apparently a compromise thing in the works about like every other year up there.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:31 pm

Agreed.

I'm confused. Doesn't the College B-Ball Experience already house the hall of fame?? Is it moving to KS?

https://collegebasketballexperience.com/hall-of-fame/
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:41 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:31 pm

Agreed.

I'm confused. Doesn't the College B-Ball Experience already house the hall of fame?? Is it moving to KS?

https://collegebasketballexperience.com/hall-of-fame/
Baseball, not basketball.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

College Baseball HOF going to a KC suburb strip mall has upset so many in Omaha that that town is now jumping on the Hate Mahomes and the Chiefs bandwagon.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

moderne wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:54 am College Baseball HOF going to a KC suburb strip mall has upset so many in Omaha that that town is now jumping on the Hate Mahomes and the Chiefs bandwagon.
Can't say I blame them. Kansas and their STAR bonds continue to be by far this biggest corporate welfare scam to taxpayers in the entire country. Now the developers can say they have an "attraction" to get hundreds of millions of free money to build out that stupid suburban sprawl development.

And nobody will visit this hall of fame. Not even people in the KC area.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

GRID wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:26 pm
moderne wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:54 am College Baseball HOF going to a KC suburb strip mall has upset so many in Omaha that that town is now jumping on the Hate Mahomes and the Chiefs bandwagon.
Can't say I blame them. Kansas and their STAR bonds continue to be by far this biggest corporate welfare scam to taxpayers in the entire country. Now the developers can say they have an "attraction" to get hundreds of millions of free money to build out that stupid suburban sprawl development.

People might go and at least we get another Attraction in the area.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mgsports wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:46 pm

It’ll be anemic compared to a location elsewhere. No sense in continuing to double down in extreme sprawl and try to pigeon hole more and more uses to put lipstick on the pig of Prairie Fire
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:20 pm
mgsports wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:46 pm

It’ll be anemic compared to a location elsewhere. No sense in continuing to double down in extreme sprawl and try to pigeon hole more and more uses to put lipstick on the pig of Prairie Fire
Prairie DumpsterFire
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Lots of bias in this thread
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:25 pm Lots of bias in this thread
The development defaulted on its bond obligations to the state of Kansas. It isn’t bias to address this area as a failure from an objective economic outlook.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:40 pm
Metro wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:25 pm Lots of bias in this thread
The development defaulted on its bond obligations to the state of Kansas. It isn’t bias to address this area as a failure from an objective economic outlook.
It's a much nicer area than anything in KCMO