Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by KCPowercat »

Their lentil chili was good.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

After a Four-Year Tease, Pickleman’s Finally Opens Downtown Location

...Start with extensive heating, cooling and ventilation work, throw in a lot of remodeling for handicapped accessibility, and add that special aggravating sauce only small businesses navigating city permits and inspections know, and voila!
https://cityscenekc.com/after-a-four-ye ... -location/
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Base of the 80s commerce building is getting extensively renovated

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Commerce is moving the branch from Walnut to that location.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Notice two core drill testing operations. One in the Catholic cathedral parking lot at 11th and Broadway and the other close to the crossroads academy at 9th and Broadway. Thinking the second one is for their gym?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:36 pm Notice two core drill testing operations. One in the Catholic cathedral parking lot at 11th and Broadway and the other close to the crossroads academy at 9th and Broadway. Thinking the second one is for their gym?
and the first for a future parking garage I fear.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:36 pm Notice two core drill testing operations. One in the Catholic cathedral parking lot at 11th and Broadway and the other close to the crossroads academy at 9th and Broadway. Thinking the second one is for their gym?
I had thought the gym was planned for the current Quality Hill dog park at 9th and Washington (I noticed them doing a core drilling here a few weeks ago) and the spot at 9th and Broadway is for a planned hotel.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:16 pm
I think it's for some cathedral master plan to redo their campus.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mgh7676 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:28 pm
I had thought the gym was planned for the current Quality Hill dog park at 9th and Washington (I noticed them doing a core drilling here a few weeks ago) and the spot at 9th and Broadway is for a planned hotel.
Yeah I think maybe it was closer to Washington
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:04 pm
smh wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:16 pm
I think it's for some cathedral master plan to redo their campus.
I think you're correct, though I still think it will be mostly parking, unfortunately.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

could it all be related to the planned parking structure and expansion plans by KC Southern recently announced on those surface lots?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:07 pm could it all be related to the planned parking structure and expansion plans by KC Southern recently announced on those surface lots?
Two separate projects from what I understand. Both to likely include parking garages.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

The Cathedral lost a spire over the past winter, and it still hasn't been repaired.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:42 pm Commerce is moving the branch from Walnut to that location.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Better visibility
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Drove around downtown a bit, and most construction sites were very quiet. A few had some workers on them, such as Flashcube, Reverb, City Club, but others were completely empty, such as Hyatt House and the old KC Star building.

Related, the Walnut side of the old Commerce Bank building had some sidewalk sheds, and the old Board of Education building has some orange construction netting around some part of its grounds.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Garage at 9th and Walnut is getting worked on

Philacav
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Philacav »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:37 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:42 pm Commerce is moving the branch from Walnut to that location.
It never ceases to amaze me the extent to which there was no design review or any policies on the books in the 80s (and likely not much better now) for parking garage facades and ground level retail space. The 1000 block of Main went from being one of the most visuall interesting (even in its 70s/80s fraying condition) to one of the most banal. And putting the bus mecca on the old Rothschild's site after it already being a surface lot was like killing that corner twice, though I do like the fountain.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Philacav wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 pmIt never ceases to amaze me the extent to which there was no design review or any policies on the books in the 80s (and likely not much better now) for parking garage facades and ground level retail space. The 1000 block of Main went from being one of the most visuall interesting (even in its 70s/80s fraying condition) to one of the most banal. And putting the bus mecca on the old Rothschild's site after it already being a surface lot was like killing that corner twice, though I do like the fountain.
The 80s commerce garage and 1 Petticoat lane should get replaced someday. Would be the perfect site for a dense mixed use project, and would give an opportunity to tear out that terrible 3-pronged skywalk over main.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

906 and 910 Grand Boulevard and the parking lot at 710 Walnut Street have sold to "Grand Boulevard Hospitality" (aka Pinnacle Hotel Group) for $10,000,000. This includes the Ozark Life Building pictured below. Current plan appears to be hotel conversion