Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Love it, great project. I do have one thought that comes to mind though- why are all new Crossroads development proposals on the West side now?

Yes I know there's Freight House, but even that one straddles as far away as it can from the general eastern side of Main.

Not to get off topic here but this is a big reason I want the Royals to go to the E Crossroads. That side needs a boost. We haven't seen anything finished there in awhile & there's no new proposals on the horizon either. I want the stadium there to give it a boost (and I think it would complement the area well)

This is just my opinion, so please don't go berzerk.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Welcome to land banking where nothing happens.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

West had existing condo/office and larger buildings that could be renovated. To the North you have PAC/Convention Center.

East Crossroads is still industrial with minimal existing building stock. Nothing to the N or S. IIRC, there was an apartment project over there proposed but incentives denied.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Not trying to jack the thread but what happened to the OP for this thread? PUMPKINSTALKER lmao
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:17 pm Not trying to jack the thread but what happened to the OP for this thread? PUMPKINSTALKER lmao
I haven't seen him post for years. I don't post as much as I used too either. He used to show progress/work on restoring his Waldo house, but that's been years.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I have a feeling if the Mac project came back now it would pass
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Garage at 117 West 9th Street sold. Concept from developers is 60 new market-rate apartments.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -sale.html
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Yes please! 9th Street could have an impressive street wall, especially if the Cambia hotel makes a comeback.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What was puzzling to me in the Business Journal article is the story was about a project at 9th and Wyandotte, but the photo used in the article was at 10th and McGee looking SW.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:51 pm What was puzzling to me in the Business Journal article is the story was about a project at 9th and Wyandotte, but the photo used in the article was at 10th and McGee looking SW.
That other building on 9th & wyandotte to the northeast corner is one of the best structures ive ever seen in KC
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It is among our best old buildings. One of only two brownstone-clad buildings in Kansas City. The other is the former William Chick Scarritt home at 3240 Norledge Avenue in Historic Northeast.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3240+ ... 94.5424184

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wyand ... 94.5854241
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

SS&C, the company that acquired DST, has put the Poindexter and Centennial buildings up for sale as well as the Poindexter Garage, and a surface parking lot west of the Centennial Building at 910 Central.

Two vacant SS&C office buildings bring almost half a million square feet to market near Quality Hill
SS&C Technologies Holdings Inc. in March listed the Poindexter Building at 330 W. Ninth Street and the Centennial Building at 210 W. 10th Street for sale through JLL's Kansas City office. The vacant offices near Quality Hill formerly belonged to DST Systems Inc., which SS&C acquired for $5.4 billion in 2018.

The Poindexter Building was completed in 1902 as a factory building for the Burnham, Hanna, Munger & Co. Wholesale Dry Goods Co. It later housed dry goods wholesaler H.T. Poindexter & Sons, and was included on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 as part of the city's Wholesale District listing. The building houses 264,074 office square feet across seven levels.

The Centennial Building was built in 1950, sporting midcentury architecture constructed of concrete with a masonry façade. It spans four levels of office totaling 228,616 square feet above a four-level parking garage with 340 to 625 parking spaces, depending on how some longer existing spaces are used.
Alternatively, both buildings could be remade as apartments or hotels. Concepts commissioned by SS&C illustrate the Centennial Building's potential for adaptive reuse with 48 studio, one- or two-bedroom apartments, or 58 hotel rooms. The Poindexter Building could be remade with 31 apartments or 37 hotel rooms, and both buildings could support installation of new lightwells, the concepts show.
The two listed buildings also offer ample parking, with options for prospective buyers to acquire the Poindexter Building's adjacent 995-space parking garage, and a 115-space surface lot across from the Centennial Building at 910 Central St.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... sKjNcCtfcQ

Poindexter Building

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1037512 ... 384!8i8192

Poindexter Garage

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1035093 ... 384!8i8192

Centennial Building

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1022463 ... 384!8i8192

910 Central lot

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1036629 ... 384!8i8192
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Is there a story behind why the south (2?) bays of the Poindexter Building were lopped off at some point?

The Broadway facade also does not look original, and if the stairs were going to be barred off then why leave them at all during a renovation?
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Had no idea where to post this- a crane or something hit the pedestrian bridge between the two Marriott towers. Damage was done on the bottom part with a few panels missing/damaged and a few cables hanging over the intersection.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

gfenn11 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:26 pm Had no idea where to post this- a crane or something hit the pedestrian bridge between the two Marriott towers. Damage was done on the bottom part with a few panels missing/damaged and a few cables hanging over the intersection.
That's activity! How bad? Do you have pics?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:50 am
gfenn11 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:26 pm Had no idea where to post this- a crane or something hit the pedestrian bridge between the two Marriott towers. Damage was done on the bottom part with a few panels missing/damaged and a few cables hanging over the intersection.
It’s still like that? It was like that, I swear, 3+ weeks ago. I thought they would’ve fixed it by now.

It almost looks like a bucket truck left its bucket up and it messed up the underside of that bridge.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:50 am
It's not that bad but you can tell something hit it pretty good. I'm sure they are trying to get insurance of the driver to fix it and that's taking forever. I'll see what I can find out from some people what they know.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I was just going to say it's probably an insurance fight. I don't know anything, but there's a decent chance they're going after the employers insurance and they're just investigating to see if they're liable.

Eventually the insurance companies will battle it out. It's not unusual to have delays with what' I'm sure will be a big bill unless there is an immediate threat to safety:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Confirmed purely cosmetic and that isn't any kind of wire hanging down. Guy with his bucket up on a truck caused it. Not really an insurance fight just nobody has taken time to get someone to fix it yet.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Eon Blue wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:05 am Is there a story behind why the south (2?) bays of the Poindexter Building were lopped off at some point?

The Broadway facade also does not look original, and if the stairs were going to be barred off then why leave them at all during a renovation?
That is s different structure called the Gatlin Building that was repurposed as a new entrance to the Poindexter Building when it was redeveloped.

https://www.pci.org/PCI_Docs/Publicatio ... Winner.pdf
Last edited by FangKC on Tue May 02, 2023 5:02 am, edited 3 times in total.