West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: West Bottoms Redevelopment

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Must have. Get some done by time the World Cup comes
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Yeah if it’s gonna end up looking this good we need to have some sort of transit or small connector to the downtown
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Back from NYC a few weeks ago and got some pics of DUMBO infill, which is almost identical to WB (WeBo?). There's a couple hirise office that won't happen here but a lot of the infill should give similar vibe.

Ground level upgrades for retail...

I think this street is only closed on weekends, not sure...

The dark brick and white ahead, pretty sure that's infill...

This building was restored with glass facade on one side, probably too damaged...

There was also a nice small park added and thought I took a pic but don't have.

Entrance to a foodie hall...

Unlikely to see a new building at that scale but it does blend in fine..
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

earthling wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:17 pm WeBo?
Please no. Just call it the stockyards if we’re going to change it.

Thanks for the pictures though! Looks very similar to the renderings. Can’t wait for this to get going
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

An LA-based real estate company bought 8 properties in WB...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -sale.html
Prominent in the sale was the Sewall Paint Building at 1009 W. Eighth St., a five-story historic structure built in 1903. The 42,000-square-foot building houses Faultless Brands' corporate headquarters and the Faultless Event Space on its first floor.

Also acquired were a 106,785-square-foot Faultless distribution warehouse at 1100 W. Eighth St.; a six-story, 92,525-square-foot company manufacturing facility at 1025 W. Eighth St.; a small storage facility at 1005 W. Eighth St.; and 204,720 square feet of surface parking and vacant land.
The Borman Group declined to comment on its acquisitions or future plans for the properties. Founded in 2003, the firm is a multidisciplinary, value-add real estate design and development company that has repurposed more than 500,000 square feet of creative office, retail and multifamily units in downtown Los Angeles.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Well, this just keeps getting more and more interesting. At this rate, the West Bottoms will have completely changed hands within a year or two and a largescale redevelopment, the likes of which never seen before here, will be underway.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I'm telling ya, the time is now to start getting a connection setup to the downtown core. At the rate it takes to do stuff, if we start now we might make it on time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would rather see streetcar than gondola but if KCK wants to mostly pay for the latter, go for it. Otherwise a MAX grade line (level boarding like Prospect) would be fine.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:10 pm Yeah if it’s gonna end up looking this good we need to have some sort of transit or small connector to the downtown
Just use the 12th street E-W SC route from the next rail study, if the population they’re claiming will be there will actually be there, it’s a no brainer
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:42 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:10 pm Yeah if it’s gonna end up looking this good we need to have some sort of transit or small connector to the downtown
Just use the 12th street E-W SC route from the next rail study, if the population they’re claiming will be there will actually be there, it’s a no brainer
I mentioned that before. If this comes to fruition it will have 5X the density of the riverfront.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Karambit25 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:55 pm
I mentioned that before. If this comes to fruition it will have 5X the density of the riverfront.
Would like to see the 12th street viaduct replaced before a streetcar line is run on it
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if Faultless is going to rent their building, or if they are planning to move?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

trexel94 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:26 am Initial renderings of Somera Road's West Bottoms redevelopment

I like using the flat railcar as a seating area.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:13 pmWould like to see the 12th street viaduct replaced before a streetcar line is run on it
12th street viaduct should be rehabilitated not replaced. It’s a unique piece of infrastructure
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:50 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:13 pmWould like to see the 12th street viaduct replaced before a streetcar line is run on it
12th street viaduct should be rehabilitated not replaced. It’s a unique piece of infrastructure
Agreed, no reason to tear down every bit of our character when it can be fixed
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:13 pm

Would like to see the 12th street viaduct replaced before a streetcar line is run on it
I actually agree with normalthings here
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:55 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:50 pm
Agreed, no reason to tear down every bit of our character when it can be fixed
Triple agree it's a deep part of the character of WB. Would be major loss if replaced.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:37 pm

It's over 100 years old and has not always been maintained.

Putting a streetcar on a bridge is a significant financial investment that we expect to last generations. I don't think the bridge has another 50-100 years.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:44 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:37 pm

It's over 100 years old and has not always been maintained.

Putting a streetcar on a bridge is a significant financial investment that we expect to last generations. I don't think the bridge has another 50-100 years.
Not if we’re just slapping some rails on the top in a bed of concrete. If we’re to actually utilize it for daily traffic the like of a streetcar, then a whole body rehabilitation wouldn’t be too far out of the question. I don’t imagine the replacement cost would be too different from rehabilitation costs.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:44 pmIt's over 100 years old and has not always been maintained.

Is there an engineering study I’m not aware of? It’s a massive chunk of concrete, it’ll probably survive 1000 years if we let it