West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: West Bottoms Redevelopment

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:24 pm I still can't believe the City is being asked to pay for the demolition. City dollars should go for renovation via some type of subsidy. What is the justification for not reusing this building? It's solidly built and likely fireproof.
It’s also absolutely enormous, and made out of non-recyclable concrete, so its remains will be sitting in a landfill forever if it’s demolished
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Also worth mentioning that demolition needs to happen delicately due to the railroad.

This will not be a quick demo - it will be long and painful to watch
NEgoofyfoot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NEgoofyfoot »

Could the city use some of the 50Mil in the housing fund money to rehabilitate or offer incentives to create this into all affordable housing or is this location not desirable because of lack of transit?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

NEgoofyfoot wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:02 am Could the city use some of the 50Mil in the housing fund money to rehabilitate or offer incentives to create this into all affordable housing or is this location not desirable because of lack of transit?
It's a short, flat walk to three bus routes.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:27 pm Some movement on the SomeraRoad plan. Yesterday, a project plan applied for 1220-28 Union and 1241 St. Louis was applied for. No uploads yet.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d9afd9273d
The replacement for the Weld building is definitely about what you'd expect for a modern building.

Some interesting tidbits from the plan document...
- 280 apartments
- 8954sf of retail space
- 144 parking spaces (all for residential. None for retail). Only 140 parking spaces are required for residential.
- 58 bike parking spaces (56 residential, 2 retail).
- Construction begin: January 2024
- Construction end: June 2025
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

What a bummer
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Looks great!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Lame. What happened to using the prior mentioned architect of record, S9 https://s9architecture.com/work/ ?

Demoing (paid by city no less!) Weld Wheel for another generic 5-over-1 is offensive, and combined with the lengthy theoretical timelines on the overall build-out, has me questioning Somera Road for the first time.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:47 pm Lame. What happened to using the prior mentioned architect of record, S9 https://s9architecture.com/work/ ?

Demoing (paid by city no less!) Weld Wheel for another generic 5-over-1 is offensive, and combined with the lengthy theoretical timelines on the overall build-out, has me questioning Somera Road for the first time.
S9 I believe was doing the master plan / high level stuff. There is no reason to burn cash for a high end architect.

If these projects lease well Somera Road is absolutely interested in accelerating development
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

We need more 5 over 1s tbh. Cheap and quick to build.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:23 pm We need more 5 over 1s tbh. Cheap and quick to build.
I agree with this take. Although maybe we could break this one up into two or 3 buildings
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

This is disgusting. Modern is cool x all but a basic 5 over 1 replacing a structurally sound derelict midrise building is boggling. We should at least get a minimum of 7 floors and more class rather than recycling the same materials being thrown at new buildings on the Riverfront. Glass would be preferable and more of an interesting mix with the 19th Century warehouses the West Bottoms is known for.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

This is very whatever and conflicting for me. I'd love to see the building saved and reused from both aesthetic and environmental perspective and I think using housing trust money to subsidize a fully affordable project could be an amazing use of the building and the funds. And that aside I would want a building with some height and design inspiration. But honestly 280 housing units is density and market supply that I'm not inclined to oppose strongly. This is one of those that just makes me shrug.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Nothing against 5-over-1's and the added density they bring. They are the current urban default for good reason and can be made quite attractive.

It's the demo of the Weld building that bothers me here. It's one of the survivors down there, and it's sense of scale and history will be lost.

At a minimum was hoping to see Somera's new construction in the Bottoms have an industrial aesthetic edge that would sort of wow in the same way that the gritty mass of the old buildings does. Not sure this gets there yet, though wouldn't mind this same design on a vacant parcel in the area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:51 am Nothing against 5-over-1's and the added density they bring. They are the current urban default for good reason and can be made quite attractive.

It's the demo of the Weld building that bothers me here. It's one of the survivors down there, and it's sense of scale and history will be lost.

At a minimum was hoping to see Somera's new construction in the Bottoms have an industrial aesthetic edge that would sort of wow in the same way that the gritty mass of the old buildings does. Not sure this gets there yet, though wouldn't mind this same design on a vacant parcel in the area.
This new building could literally go anywhere down there. Why have to tear down Weld to get it?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This is my issue. Trading Weld for this is a bummer. I’d take the 5 over 1 in any other situation
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A renovated Weld Building would have excellent views on the higher floors -- a feature the new building wouldn't have.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

kboish wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:23 pm This is my issue. Trading Weld for this is a bummer. I’d take the 5 over 1 in any other situation
Exactly
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

shocked (* not at all*) that the design for this would be lame & uninspired, "strip mall" trash. Oh well, No need to go vertical I guess down there.

I'm happy for new development, especially to go along with the other development in the area and what has happened to the SW over along Genesee, by HyVee arena, and of course what else is planned for that area. Good to see the area become more of a unique neighborhood and it's on the path to great things.

However chalk it up to another boring in a long list of dull development that has taken hold the last 10yrs. I guess designers are handcuffed anymore. IDK? but no sense worrying about it now.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Designers could easily make 5 over 1 buildings resemble the historic cattle pens and chutes.