West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: West Bottoms Redevelopment

Post by beautyfromashes »

If we’re going to rebuild the viaduct, I’d rather see the connection be part of North Loop removal continuing through to Independence Ave. Probably easier to connect at a lower grade than the highest part of the bluff at 12th.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:47 am If we’re going to rebuild the viaduct, I’d rather see the connection be part of North Loop removal continuing through to Independence Ave. Probably easier to connect at a lower grade than the highest part of the bluff at 12th.
Yes!!!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:47 am If we’re going to rebuild the viaduct, I’d rather see the connection be part of North Loop removal continuing through to Independence Ave. Probably easier to connect at a lower grade than the highest part of the bluff at 12th.
I’m not sure what that would solve. The reason the 12 st viaduct is at that point, as I understand it, is because it is the most geographically isolated point from the west bottoms. That’s why it’s an important connection, it’s scaling a 200ft bluff
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:46 am
I’m not sure what that would solve. The reason the 12 st viaduct is at that point, as I understand it, is because it is the most geographically isolated point from the west bottoms. That’s why it’s an important connection, it’s scaling a 200ft bluff
But, if you're going to rebuild, why choose the most difficult spot to do it? Run the line up into the trench of North Loop with an exit at Main and escalator up to the streetcar stop. Could even make it a subway where North Loop is and build on top of it.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I'd like to see the 12th St. Viaduct left, but of course rehabbed. Perhaps the lower section could serve new unique ideas with it's connection to Beardsley road. But for the street car I'd like to see a new unique connection to the West Bottoms. There are really only 3 ways to get down there from the East and downtown. We need to enhance what we have and maybe look to add. Street car coming out of River Market or Northloop end of downtown would be great. Leave 12th St as a pedestrian/auto bridge to serve the area. Maybe even add a new walking/cycling bridge from downtown as well.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:07 pm I'd like to see the 12th St. Viaduct left, but of course rehabbed. Perhaps the lower section could serve new unique ideas with it's connection to Beardsley road. But for the street car I'd like to see a new unique connection to the West Bottoms. There are really only 3 ways to get down there from the East and downtown. We need to enhance what we have and maybe look to add. Street car coming out of River Market or Northloop end of downtown would be great. Leave 12th St as a pedestrian/auto bridge to serve the area. Maybe even add a new walking/cycling bridge from downtown as well.
Regardless of if it has the streetcar or not, 12th St viaduct should be saved. Not only is it a unique area landmark, last I heard, Beardsley was the proposed West Side of the Greenline. Lots of opportunity to use the lower section to connect the Greenline to this new WB development.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agree about updating 12th st bridge if possible rather than replace.

Really need to get an idea of what density would be required before seriously talking about TDD for WB streetcar. Dave didn't seem to indicate it would be very realistic through WB but now with the two new ownerships likely to invest significantly might be doable. Not sure.

If KCK wants to pay for most of gondola, go for it. Otherwise a MAX line with a couple level boarding 'stations' would suffice well and probably reasonable level of service if running often enough. A WB/DTKC circulator also might be easier to justify when density builds up enough.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Agreed, curious to see what the density will look like but regardless excited for the area to see a big impact of more residents and amenities and creating a new unique neighborhood destination for the city.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:23 pm Agree about updating 12th st bridge if possible rather than replace.

Really need to get an idea of what density would be required before seriously talking about TDD for WB streetcar. Dave didn't seem to indicate it would be very realistic through WB but now with the two new ownerships likely to invest significantly might be doable. Not sure.

If KCK wants to pay for most of gondola, go for it. Otherwise a MAX line with a couple level boarding 'stations' would suffice well and probably reasonable level of service if running often enough. A WB/DTKC circulator also might be easier to justify when density builds up enough.
It would also be an easier sell to get a TDD (if regional funding can’t be drawn from) if you include the EB 12th street into it, you’ll have connection into the heart of DT from historically disconnected neighborhoods, as well as huge investment potential that would help contribute to future funding of the line. A solid spine for E-W would be established as well, and sew together some of the flanks of the city that currently feel incredibly isolated
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

A BRT route from 31st and Van Brunt to 7th and State via 12th Street E-W would be a great option.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:01 pm A BRT route from 31st and Van Brunt to 7th and State via 12th Street E-W would be a great option.
Could definitely work, headways likely could be near SC if routing is done right, and stop quality could easily be that of SC. Any options would be appreciated to improve access
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The 12th Street Viaduct was open for use in 1915 and was refurbished in 2006. It has historic significance as it is among the first large-scale concrete bridges constructed in the United States. It is also among the oldest large span bridges still in daily usage. Examples of two older large span bridges still in usage are the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City, and the Smithfield Street Bridge in Pittsburgh, PA both completed in 1883. The Waterford Bridge over the Hudson River was completed in 1909. There are older bridges in the USA but they are small bridges.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Haven’t seen this on the Rag yet but the rezoning request was approved Thursday
The Kansas City Council unanimously agreed Thursday to rezone 21.85 acres, roughly bounded north to south by Union Pacific railroad tracks and 12th Street, and west to east by Liberty Street and BNSF Railway tracks, to an urban redevelopment district.
The new district clears the way for SomeraRoad to seek historic tax credits for its first concrete adaptive reuse plans. This year's first application round for the credits opened Friday, according to the Missouri Department of Economic Development.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... uncil.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Wyandotte County officials OK zoning changes for Rock Island Railroad Bridge; Construction set to begin
On Thursday, the Wyandotte County Board of Commissioners signed off on zoning changes to the property, making way for the construction of the project to begin.

Construction for the new Rock Island Railroad Bridge will begin in October.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/wy ... t-to-begin
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:06 pm Wyandotte County officials OK zoning changes for Rock Island Railroad Bridge; Construction set to begin
On Thursday, the Wyandotte County Board of Commissioners signed off on zoning changes to the property, making way for the construction of the project to begin.

Construction for the new Rock Island Railroad Bridge will begin in October.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/wy ... t-to-begin
I am happily shocked that this was approved and has moved so quickly.

I assumed it was a pipe dream when it first was announced.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Wow KC Biz Journals moves fast! Somera Road's talk to the KC Downtowners just ended a couple hours ago

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... wners.html

They showed a cool video and walked through their plan for the area. Working on a public-private partnership with Kansas City. City to help with public parks, streetscape, infrastructure, trees, etc. Want to have some structure of that agreement before the city council by end of 2022/first couple months of 2023
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:00 pm Wow KC Biz Journals moves fast! Somera Road's talk to the KC Downtowners just ended a couple hours ago

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... wners.html

They showed a cool video and walked through their plan for the area. Working on a public-private partnership with Kansas City. City to help with public parks, streetscape, infrastructure, trees, etc. Want to have some structure of that agreement before the city council by end of 2022/first couple months of 2023
Likely that had given a package to KCBJ before the event.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Is there a recording of their presentation?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Burns & Max involved now per the article
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:19 pm Burns & Max involved now per the article
I believe it was said they were helping design the streetscape