West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: West Bottoms Redevelopment

Post by FangKC »

That stretch of remaining buildings that 1409 West 11th Street sits among should be heralded for the great entrances on each of the buildings.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1409+ ... 94.6019084
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.aol.com/news/really-happeni ... 00729.html

Update on the Rock Island River Bridge: Construction starts in March with the development team expecting work to be completed by March 2024.

Also I haven't seen an update on the High Line Network's website but according to the KC Star, the High Line Network named the Rock Island project among its 10 new members. Big deal!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:51 pm Image
I assume the top left corner of this building will be some sort of sky deck? Unless they rebuild the wall that was once there.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:47 amI assume the top left corner of this building will be some sort of sky deck? Unless they rebuild the wall that was once there.
The skylight thing is staying and being reglazed. It’s been there since at least the 40s so it’s historic
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Somera Road hired a new KC guy to lead development across KC and specifically their West Bottoms push.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Ziplines, Aerial Park Envisioned for Hy-Vee Arena ‘Space Frame’
When Helmut Jahn designed the unique, external framework supporting the roof at the former Kemper Arena 50 years ago, it’s doubtful he imagined it hosting an aerial park someday.

But that’s just what Brad McDonald has in mind for the renowned German architect’s “space frame” at what’s now the Hy-Vee Arena.

“We plan to make it the largest urban aerial park in the country,” McDonald said. “You’ll be able to put on a harness and take on 70 different obstacles.
And while you’re at it, McDonald plans to hook up four ziplines off the northwest corner of the 120-foot tall arena roof that will allow you to zip over the Kaw River parallel to the renovated Rock Island Bridge being redeveloped as an entertainment district.

The zip lines over the Kaw (Kansas) River in the West Bottoms will be the first in the nation to cross a state border. The arena is in Missouri, the river is in Kansas.
McDonald has been working with Zeller for about a year to team up on his Rock Island Bridge project. In addition to the ziplines, he plans to manage the rental program for canoes and kayaks at the repurposed bridge along with bike rentals.
The first phase, including the ziplines, rentals and at least initial float trip excursions, are expected to coincide with the March 2024 opening of the Rock Island Bridge by Zeller and his development entity, Flying Truss.
https://cityscenekc.com/ziplines-aerial ... Iq8sKz_SwU
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^It sounds like a cool concept. Unsure if I’d ever take a go at it.

Also, Nook and Cranny at 13th and Hickory is now closed. Their building sold recently and an application for interior and exterior alterations was submitted to Compass a while back. Expect that building to be redeveloped soon. I’ve heard a rumor that the Beast, Stowe, Nook and Cranny and other buildings at the 13th and Hickory intersection are all quietly slated for redevelopment with an intent not to lose their tenants. We’ll see though. I’d love it if a renovation of the Stowe kept the floor tiles and the old birdcage elevator shaft as part of the interior design.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Contractors ‘excited’ to begin construction on Rock Island Railroad Bridge after delay
Construction for the Rock Island Railroad Bridge will finally begin March 13 and contractors Mike Zeller and Dan Gibson are looking forward to the start of the project.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/co ... fter-delay
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is firt moving around the RIB development. For some reason that surprised me
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

1428 St. Louis Avenue is for sale.

[url]khttps://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1428-Saint-Loui ... /26847883/[/url]
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Some movement on the SomeraRoad plan. Yesterday, a project plan applied for 1220-28 Union and 1241 St. Louis was applied for. No uploads yet.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d9afd9273d
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

cityscene wrote: Council committee to review funding the demo of derelict Weld Wheel building as part of big redevelopment plan, cost to city would be $2.6M.
https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... 1766440965
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

I walked up to the roof of the Weld Wheel building a couple of years ago and was surprised by how solid it was from the inside. I don't understand the need to tear it down - it can't just be the broken glass and graffiti.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Rabble wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:35 pm I walked up to the roof of the Weld Wheel building a couple of years ago and was surprised by how solid it was from the inside. I don't understand the need to tear it down - it can't just be the broken glass and graffiti.
Weld Wheel is on the city’s dangerous building list. Not sure what qualified a building to get added.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Being on the dangerous building list doesn't mean the building cannot be renovated. It just means there are things about the building right now that put the public in danger.

The Cosby Hotel at 9th and Baltimore was on the dangerous buildings list at one time. I think the President Hotel and Mainstreet Theater were as well.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

https://library.municode.com/mo/kansas_ ... -532DABUST

Quality stuff. Nothing seems un-fixable there. Just likely it wouldn't be economical.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Here's what it would've looked like renovated. Better than any new construction they'd replace it with, I think.

It'll be an unfortunate loss. Historic concrete daylight warehouses like this are rare.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Photgraphers x street artists alike will b sooooo disappointed.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I still can't believe the City is being asked to pay for the demolition. City dollars should go for renovation via some type of subsidy. What is the justification for not reusing this building? It's solidly built and likely fireproof.