West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: West Bottoms Redevelopment

Post by alejandro46 »

I would love if we could get some better transit going for WB. It's still so cut off from DT (no gondolas please).
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree with you on not only transit but routes into the West Bottoms. From the Eastern approach there is what, 2-3 ways to get down there. From KCK/KS side there again is maybe 1-3 ways and that is it.

I'm not sure you could create more routes or not given the topography. But if anything improving the street scape, improved lighting, trees, sidewalks, nicer roads, maybe even some art instillations would be nice to make those approaches to West Bottoms more inviting.

The access from River Market/ North End could use it, 12th St for sure, then focus on Beardsley RD, Chavez BLVD.

It's still a little rough looking as you get down there but once you are there you notice that "wow there are a lot of cool things down here now and vibrant development" This Project is awesome and really looking forward to what it will do for the area and surrounding areas of West side of Downtown and even Strawberry Hill, KCK.

Perhaps it could be a catalyst to jump start the Paseo West area and breathe even more life to those areas once the Royals build a stadium nearby downtown.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

1500 St. Louis Avenue is looking sharp. The new windows going in make this redevelopment a joy to see.

West Bottoms Flats phase 2 recently had new windows cut in the west facade. Full steam ahead on another 90 units!

The single-story structure at 1416-18 St. Louis Avenue is set to be converted into what floor plans show as small offices.

I've heard a rumor that Stowe and 1400 West 13th were bought by someone recently. Unsure who, but if there is a new owner, I hope they intend to beautifully redevelop Stowe. The floor tiles and birdcage elevator inside of it are special as is the exterior. It's already the tallest building down there and with Weld Wheel set to come down, this will only be cemented. The views from the rooftop are spectacular.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:19 pm 1500 St. Louis Avenue is looking sharp. The new windows going in make this redevelopment a joy to see.
Thanks for the pictures Chris!

Regarding 1500 St Louis Ave, what exactly is happening there? Looks like the property is owned by a Denver LLC going by “Zaibatsu”
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:05 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:19 pm 1500 St. Louis Avenue is looking sharp. The new windows going in make this redevelopment a joy to see.
Thanks for the pictures Chris!

Regarding 1500 St Louis Ave, what exactly is happening there? Looks like the property is owned by a Denver LLC going by “Zaibatsu”
You're welcome. Banta Property Group owns it. NSPJ has the project on their website and they specify it'll be 32 artist-style lofts.
https://nspjarch.com/portfolio/historic-adaptive-reuse/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Nice! That’ll be a great add to the area. Thanks
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Pretty wild to think that, from what we know publicly, the West Bottoms will have a ton of new residents in the next 15 years if all the planned and underway projects happen. SomeraRoad has 1166 apartments in their massive plans. Phases 1 and 2 of West Bottoms Flats yields 355 total units. 1500 St. Louis is 32 units. That equals 1552 units in addition to the hotel rooms and commercial space that'll be brought along.

Three buildings are actively for sale that I could see adding about 120 total units (911 Wyoming and 1422-1428 St. Louis).

That rumored new owner of Stowe and 1400 West 13th is weighing options for lofts over there according to another person who heard similar, but those plans are fluid right now and can change as the market changes.

This area can, and likely will, become the densest part of the city when all is said and done. I'm hopeful SomeraRoad and others can pull everything off because this area can be self sustaining if done right. The West Bottoms also holds the key to getting Downtown KCK rolling. West Bottoms is very much the link between the two Kansas City downtowns.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Incredibly excited about this area as well. Don’t forget about the Faultless buildings The Borman Group bought this summer.

SomeraRoad seems to be targeting that self sustaining piece. In their presentation to the Downtowners, they had a cool visual showing how a resident could spend their whole day in the area
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Let’s put a top golf down there
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Yeah, the number of housing planned or u/c is astonishing. Plus you got the Yards II and possibly III that will add 500 units to the south end of the neighborhood.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:04 am ... The West Bottoms also holds the key to getting Downtown KCK rolling. West Bottoms is very much the link between the two Kansas City downtowns.
Kansas City, Kansas, actually started in the West Bottoms along James Street. What we think of as downtown Kansas City, Kansas, now was actually a town called Wyandotte. A merging of several local towns later fell under the KCK banner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City,_Kansas

I wonder when the buildings south of 12th Street will get redeveloped at the 13th and Hickory node? The McCormick / International Harvester Building looks ready to go now to be converted.

I hope the retail spaces can remain as I feel the antique stores specifically draw people into the Bottoms.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

West Bottoms Flats phase 2 starting

1500 St Louis Ave is apparently for sale. I guess the owner decided to just flip the building. New windows though!

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’d be surprised if 1500 St. Louis went up for sale. I asked the owner of the building, the Banta Group, if he is selling and he simply said, “no”. So either he lied to me or someone else bought it and didn’t remove the sign.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The sign is brand new to me. It used to have the names of NSPJ architects and a contractor on it
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ement.html

Some details emerge about the logistics of the SomeraRoad redevelopment. A predevelopment agreement is on the Neighborhood Planning and Development Committee's Wednesday docket.
Contingent on fund appropriation, the city would start construction on an initial infrastructure phase — to include new public gathering spaces, sections of road and sidewalk reconstruction, and new water mains, sanitary sewers and street light systems — by June 30. Workers would finish the phase by Dec. 31, 2025, according to the agreement.
Public spaces newly outlined in the terms include 95,000 square feet north of the KC Pallet Supply Building at 1000 W. 12th St., to be known as the Grove; 15,600 square feet northwest of 11th and Santa Fe streets, to be called Union Plaza; and 4,500 square feet in place of a vacant lot at 1226 Union Ave. SomeraRoad would have 180 days from the agreement's execution to record a public permanent access easement for those spaces, maintenance obligations for which would be spelled out in future terms.

From there, SomeraRoad would have to start its first phase of commercial projects within 90 days of the city breaking ground on infrastructure and complete it within two years.
Rounding out the proposed deal, SomeraRoad would meet Kansas City's affordable housing set-aside policy in its redevelopment. To the extent those requirements cause a financial shortfall, the city and SomeraRoad together would identify a funding source to ensure compliance.

The proposed terms say the city could acquire properties and build new public parking if it and SomeraRoad determine that more than 1,488 parking stalls are required to support the redevelopment area; some spaces then could be leased back to the developer. The city also could provide SomeraRoad incentives to construct a shared parking garage, the agreement states.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Looks like the city agreed to the predevelopment agreement

https://t.co/KqEjJcjZkN
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

City Council approved a predevelopment agreement for $400M SomeraRoad West Bottoms project Thursday: https://cityscenekc.com/city-closer-to- ... ment-plan/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Redevelopment of the 1409 West 11th Street building into some Airbnbs has been submitted.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 9b08bf224e
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1409+ ... 94.6019084

204 space parking lot planned at 920 Wyoming Street. This is the property surrounding a 2-story brick building that the MCM Companies plan to redevelop as part of West Bottoms Flats Phase 3.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 229d5d4c39
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:02 am Redevelopment of the 1409 West 11th Street building into some Airbnbs has been submitted.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 9b08bf224e
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1409+ ... 94.6019084
What a cool building. With the winery below, this one should be a hit
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

If you guys ever want to try a different BBQ place, Chef J at 13th and Hickory has become a place I recommend to everyone. Even some city officials I've talked to say they love it. Chef posted on his Facebook yesterday that they sold out within 35 minutes of opening. I'm happy to see him doing good business because when I first went there in August, there would be few in there and now, there's a steady crowd.

Hours are Thursday-Saturday from 11:30-sold out and Sunday from Noon-sold out.
https://www.facebook.com/chefjbbqkc