Glass Recycling

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Glass Recycling

Post by blackbird »

I've heard there is a group with local interests planning to open a glass recycling facility in Kansas City in the next year.  Has anyone heard anything about this?
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Glass Recycling

Post by AJoD »

Yes, though not sure about the next year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm missing why this is a big rumor?  Are they downtown?  We have glass recyclers already.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

According to people I've talked to in the industry, all the glass you "recycle" anywhere in KC goes into landfills.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This would be a plant that takes the recycled glass and turns it into new products. The thread about the Midtown recycling center mentioned rumors that the glass collected locally is just pulverized and buried.  It's too expensive to ship it half-way across the country, so they are just hoping someday there will be a local plant to render the buried glass. 
Rumor Monger
Rumor Wizard
Rumor Wizard

Post by Rumor Monger »

Some initial details about the new recycling facility proposed:

It already has contact with Owens-Corning and another glass manufacturer in the area to work with them.  Their equipment will include optical sensors to sort the glass into any mix necessary to remake the types of glass requested.  This would mean glass would not need to be sorted by color prior to recycling, it could all just go into one big pile.

The glass that is currently collected at the recycling centers goes one of two places - a plant in Oklahoma or a plant in St. Louis.  The St. Louis company that collects it here has a facility here, but all of their re-manufacturing is done in St. Louis.  Therefore, any glass recycled here has to make a long trip in a diesel vehicle before being recycled.

The exciting part about this rumor is that the people opening it are locals with a local interest.  *cough*Boulevard*cough*.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

That's exciting news and a little bit of a bummer.  We looked at getting those recycled glass countertops for a new kitchen, the ones that they have samples for at Bricks, Straw, and Sticks.  But the price to ship them from NJ to KC was half of the total cost (which was a little breathtaking).  We went with solid-surface counters instead.  A local supplier would definitely reduce the cost and create a new market for the recycled glass.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Anyone know anything about this program?  Is it still going to happen?

Release:  January 9, 2008 Ripple Glass, LLC, a new glass processing company in Kansas City, Mo., supported by Boulevard Brewery, will use part of its $300,000 grant to purchase and place 40 containers to collect mixed-color glass throughout the metro area. The company will also conduct an education campaign to encourage residents to recycle glass. Greater Kansas City has been without widespread glass recycling for many years due in large part to the costs associated with long-distance shipping of the material to glass processors in St. Louis and Oklahoma. The Owens Corning Company in Kansas City, Kans., will be one of the end markets for glass recycled through the program.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

MidWestSider wrote: Anyone know anything about this program?  Is it still going to happen?

Release:  January 9, 2008 Ripple Glass, LLC, a new glass processing company in Kansas City, Mo., supported by Boulevard Brewery, will use part of its $300,000 grant to purchase and place 40 containers to collect mixed-color glass throughout the metro area. The company will also conduct an education campaign to encourage residents to recycle glass. Greater Kansas City has been without widespread glass recycling for many years due in large part to the costs associated with long-distance shipping of the material to glass processors in St. Louis and Oklahoma. The Owens Corning Company in Kansas City, Kans., will be one of the end markets for glass recycled through the program.
Yes, it is still happening. Latest word I've heard is that they are working on locating the bins. I know the City Market plans to have one.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mean wrote: According to people I've talked to in the industry, all the glass you "recycle" anywhere in KC goes into landfills.
i've heard the same. it's one of the most inert things we put in there, thankfully. just reduce and reuse!
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

I was told today that BLVD currently has a bin in their parking lot.  Can anyone confirm?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I thought I read somewhere that Town & Country (the city's new recycling contractor) was planning to build a glass recycling plant in Harrisonville - but now I can't the article.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

MidWestSider wrote: Anyone know anything about this program?  Is it still going to happen?

Release:  January 9, 2008 Ripple Glass, LLC, a new glass processing company in Kansas City, Mo., supported by Boulevard Brewery, will use part of its $300,000 grant to purchase and place 40 containers to collect mixed-color glass throughout the metro area. The company will also conduct an education campaign to encourage residents to recycle glass. Greater Kansas City has been without widespread glass recycling for many years due in large part to the costs associated with long-distance shipping of the material to glass processors in St. Louis and Oklahoma. The Owens Corning Company in Kansas City, Kans., will be one of the end markets for glass recycled through the program.
Just found out Roeland Park is getting a bin at the Price Chopper.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

Opening in November according to this:

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory8.html
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

The bins are there now at Blvd, and the glass doesn't need to be separated by color...Ripple is also looking at more locations...go recycle!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

also, please inquire of your HOA, neighborhood, or workplace to sponsor a bin on site. several cities are getting them, but the more locations the better (especially if you're near somewhere that sells products in glass containers).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

here's what the Ripple glass bins look like (except in the one joco burb that insisted on beige... seriously!):

rmloft
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by rmloft »

DaveKCMO wrote: here's what the Ripple glass bins look like (except in the one joco burb that insisted on beige... seriously!):

:lol:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New recycling effort aims to push KC to go green with its glass
Under what is being called the nation's first self-contained metropolitan recycling system, people will be able to drop off their jars and bottles at one of 60 locations.

The empties will then be gathered up and taken to a new facility in Kansas City to be sorted and crushed. Finally, the crushed glass will be shipped to the Owens Corning plant in Kansas City, Kan., to be melted and spun into fiberglass insulation.....

The endeavor, to begin Nov. 2, has required participation from public and private landowners, the Mid-America Regional Council, Deffenbaugh Industries and Owens Corning. It has financing from Boulevard Brewing Co., developer Adam Jones, DST Systems and UMB Bank.
Collection sites:

http://www.rippleglasskc.com/where-to-recycle.php
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag