Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by ComandanteCero »

cool!

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/791451.html
Cosentino’s Market Downtown to open Nov. 1
By JOYCE SMITH
The Kansas City Star

Downtown residents and workers have long clamored for a supermarket.

Perhaps the wait was worth it.

The new Cosentino’s Market Downtown, scheduled to open Nov. 1 in the Kansas City Power & Light District, will not only offer the everyday bread-and-milk basics, it will give customers several restaurant-type options including an 80-foot salad and olive bar, sushi bar, pizza from a wood-burning oven, a 1,500-bottle wine selection, deli, sandwich station with paninis and gyros, hot pasta bar, bakery with more than 40 different artisan breads and seating for more than 100.
Last edited by KCMax on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Post by KCPowercat »

This grocery store seems like it will be programmed perfectly for workers and loft dwellers alike.

I can't  wait for it to open. When someone from the suburbs tells me where they live I am going to ask where they get their groceries and gasp how far they have to DRIVE to get there :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Urbanism = Awesome.
KC is the way to be!
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

God some of those comments are so awful (on the story's message board).  KC has some big retards in it for sure...'but where will we park' 'it will be too expensive' 'people in lofts downtown all have bad haircuts'.  Makes me never want to move back  :x
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The comments are horrible on that website.  I refuse to read them now, but the star needs to remove that.  I think there is handful of people (MD might be one of them) that post incredibly bad comments on nearly every article.

It makes KC look bad.   Real bad.  Every time I spend some time reading those comments, it makes me want to move away from KC and not think twice about it.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, they really do make KC look bad.  I know every city must have people like that...but I don't read other cities message boards.  KC sometimes seems so stale.  But the strong arts community in KC is what makes me want to come back.  It's so good there...DC has a really really weak arts community.  (Gov city, not creative city)
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

newsflash:  every city's newspaper that lets users anonymously comment on articles elicits ridiculous, racist comments.  it's not a kc thing, which at first is comforting, then more outrageous than before.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

I do have some concerns about the cost.  Right now my fiancee and I drive to Wal-Mart on Barry Road (go ahead and shame me now) because it simply is that much cheaper and convenient for us.  We're on a really tight budget and hopefully the savings on gas will make it affordable for us to shop at Cosentino's.  The litmus test for me is the price of milk, hopefully Cosentino's can keep it under $4.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

chrizow wrote: newsflash:  every city's newspaper that lets users anonymously comment on articles elicits ridiculous, racist comments.  it's not a kc thing, which at first is comforting, then more outrageous than before.
This is true for every city, every organization, everywhere, that allows anonymous posting of comments. 
It absolutely is not a kc thing.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

That place sounds amazing. I also like the "plazma dinners" phrase. I wish the Brookside Market was more of a "meal to go" as this sounds like it will be. Perfect fit for DT.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Anyone reading the 'debate' between sabbuttrue and UrbanKC?  That guy (SBT) is such a tool. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The only worry I have is too much grab and go, but I am sure that's an unfounded fear.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: The only worry I have is too much grab and go, but I am sure that's an unfounded fear.
the store will be 33,000 square feet - probably not a problem.  brookside market is 25,000 square feet.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chrizow wrote: the store will be 33,000 square feet - probably not a problem.  brookside market is 25,000 square feet.
How does this compare in sq ftg for other suburban grocery stores?  Hy-Vee's etc....  Were those figures in an article Chriz or can you find them for other stores?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

PumpkinStalker wrote: How does this compare in sq ftg for other suburban grocery stores?  Hy-Vee's etc....  Were those figures in an article Chriz or can you find them for other stores?
well, if Brookside Market is 25,000 sq ft, then i would imagine that a typical outer-suburban Hy-Vee is at least 50,000 sq ft.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

oooh i'm gonna have to get me a little cart to lug my groceries home
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

shaffe wrote: I do have some concerns about the cost.  Right now my fiancee and I drive to Wal-Mart on Barry Road (go ahead and shame me now) because it simply is that much cheaper and convenient for us.  We're on a really tight budget and hopefully the savings on gas will make it affordable for us to shop at Cosentino's.  The litmus test for me is the price of milk, hopefully Cosentino's can keep it under $4.
In his presentation yesterday, John Cosentino was asked about product pricing.  He responded that the labor costs would be much higher for the dwtn store, with more personnel per sq. ft. and the addition of gourmet chefs to the staff.  He said that prepared foods would be more expensive, yet higher quality.  He also said that a bottle of Heinz ketchup would cost the same as in their suburban stores.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

loftguy wrote: In his presentation yesterday, John Cosentino was asked about product pricing.  He responded that the labor costs would be much higher for the dwtn store, with more personnel per sq. ft. and the addition of gourmet chefs to the staff.  He said that prepared foods would be more expensive, yet higher quality.  He also said that a bottle of Heinz ketchup would cost the same as in their suburban stores.
Yea, I see their revenues coming from these "value-added" gourmet centers, which are sure to be snapped up by busy workers downtown for lunch and dinner.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I can pretty much bet that I'll shop here more than any other grocery store in the metro, especially since I'll have a bus pass in the coming month to go to work.  I'm very excited about being able to pick up some quality dinner and take home to eat.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: well, if Brookside Market is 25,000 sq ft, then i would imagine that a typical outer-suburban Hy-Vee is at least 50,000 sq ft.
The Roe PC is nearly 200k but it is one of the largest in the midwest.