Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by mean »

Oh good, I will totally take them seriously now that my instacart order is at risk.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mean wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:25 pm Oh good, I will totally take them seriously now that my instacart order is at risk.
Packing a closed space like sardines is a great way to make people continue to blame them for corona round 2.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:42 pm
mean wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:25 pm Oh good, I will totally take them seriously now that my instacart order is at risk.
Packing a closed space like sardines is a great way to make people continue to blame them for corona round 2.
I mean, there is and has been a direct correlation...
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It was open this morning.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It sucks that as a private business you can’t do anything when a large group of protestors take over.

It’s also ironic they’re protesting federal agents being in town to help solve murders but won’t protest against black on black crime.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:20 am It sucks that as a private business you can’t do anything when a large group of protestors take over.

It’s also ironic they’re protesting federal agents being in town to help solve murders but won’t protest against black on black crime.
I passed by the business today it seemed fine. If they did mess stuff up though I’m not condoning it at all.

Just because you don’t pay attention doesn’t mean people don’t care about our homicide rate. There are groups that try to combat that very thing. It’s also disingenuous because if a citizen kills another citizen they are arrested. A lot of people’s issue is the double standard for cops and qualified immunity.

One of their main points that the group which organized the protest laid out is that since 2012 our police budget has risen 28% and our violent crime rate has risen 49%. Their very point is that putting more cops on the ground doesn’t work.

People are also terrified because unidentifiable federal troops have been picking up protestors in Portland Oregon and throwing them into either unmarked vehicles or enterprise vans.

Furthermore what about white on white crime, do you protest when there is white on white crime? Do you feel responsible to speak out when a white person shoots up a movie theater or school? This is assuming you are white. If not, I would try to see that most homicides of a race happen with members of their own race
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:38 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:20 am It sucks that as a private business you can’t do anything when a large group of protestors take over.

I passed by the business today it seemed fine. If they did mess stuff up though I’m not condoning it at all.

Just because you don’t pay attention doesn’t mean people don’t care about our homicide rate. There are groups that try to combat that very thing. It’s also disingenuous because if a citizen kills another citizen they are arrested. A lot of people’s issue is the double standard for cops and qualified immunity.

One of their main points that the group which organized the protest laid out is that since 2012 our police budget has risen 28% and our violent crime rate has risen 49%. Their very point is that putting more cops on the ground doesn’t work.

People are also terrified because unidentifiable federal troops have been picking up protestors in Portland Oregon and throwing them into either unmarked vehicles or enterprise vans.

Furthermore what about white on white crime, do you protest when there is white on white crime? Do you feel responsible to speak out when a white person shoots up a movie theater or school? This is assuming you are white. If not, I would try to see that most homicides of a race happen with members of their own race
I thought the crime rate is up 40-50% since Lucas took office. Otherwise we where doing pretty well before.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Doesn't matter what the cause is. If a protester disrupts the flow of society they are fair game to be removed or at least moved to no longer disrupt. There are improper ways to address but it doesn't give free reign to disrupt with no consequences. Obviously a protest is no longer peaceful if it's disruptive - and they only damage their cause.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:42 pm

I thought the crime rate is up 40-50% since Lucas took office. Otherwise we where doing pretty well before.
Nope homicides have continuously gone up since 2014 with a small dip in 2018. Violent crime has gone up every single year except for a small dip in 2018. As our city is getting wealthier and we are increasing the police budget it is also getting more violent.

Check for yourself if you’d like https://www.kcpd.org/crime/crime-statistics/
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

earthling wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:48 pm Doesn't matter what the cause is. If a protester disrupts the flow of society they are fair game to be removed or at least moved to no longer disrupt. There are improper ways to address but it doesn't give free reign to disrupt with no consequences. Obviously a protest is no longer peaceful if it's disruptive - and they only damage their cause.
I don’t think they should be able to disrupt a grocery store, and or be destructive, but pretending like this country isn’t selectively blind towards disruption we like would be disingenuous. We praise the Boston tea party which dumped the East india company’s tea, not the British governments. The British East India company was the largest company of their day so think of it like a Walmart or an amazon
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

All this being said I’m not a fan of people disrupting the grocery store it’s an important part of downtown, let’s just be careful trying to play up that protestors destroyed the grocery store which clearly didn’t happen. I’ve seen plenty of rampant kids in consentinos during ihop fest.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The feds in town are investigators, not troops. Big difference and they're here to try and arrest/solve all of the murders. I'm not sure why white on white crime was brought up, because that's not a factor in regards to this cities homicide problem. Of course white on white crime exists and is a big issue. Yes, there are groups out there trying to stop the black on black crime but much like the police, it's not working. We could triple the amount of police in KC and it's not going to slow the homicide rate. The issue within the African American community is far too complicated. I do think it would be helpful if more people were as passionate about stopping black on black crime as they are about the statistically tiny percentage of cops shooting unarmed black men.

Also, Portland is a shit show. Maybe they should double the amount of troops. Also, can we ban Antifa yet? Such a garbage group with their bats and combat gear. As the protestors spray painted the stage in KC live yesterday, there were a handful of "enforcers" with weapons strapped to them.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:30 pm

The feds in town are investigators, not troops. Big difference and they're here to try and arrest/solve all of the murders. I'm not sure why white on white crime was brought up, because that's not a factor in regards to this cities homicide problem. Of course white on white crime exists and is a big issue. Yes, there are groups out there trying to stop the black on black crime but much like the police, it's not working. We could triple the amount of police in KC and it's not going to slow the homicide rate. The issue within the African American community is far too complicated. I do think it would be helpful if more people were as passionate about stopping black on black crime as they are about the statistically tiny percentage of cops shooting unarmed black men.

Also, Portland is a shit show. Maybe they should double the amount of troops. Also, can we ban Antifa yet? Such a garbage group with their bats and combat gear. As the protestors spray painted the stage in KC live yesterday, there were a handful of "enforcers" with weapons strapped to them.
We live in a federal system, by putting troops unasked in a state trump is ignoring the constitution. Also when has Antifa killed anyone? Whereas dozens of people have died in recent years from white nationalists. Are you saying no one should be able to be armed in public, since guns are more dangerous than bats I assume you mean guns should be banned too, or at least any group using with them in public.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... 019-03-15/

They are saying they believe that part of the reason is the way they are policed, If the correlation is correct then we would need less forceful policing on minority populations not more. I brought it up because you brought up black on black crime. White homicides also do add to a city’s homicide rate. One issue does not have to do with the other. You are trying to detract from the protests by bringing up an unrelated issue. People can be upset about more than one thing at a time, and since they believe that more social services are needed to help combat the violent crime rate, then they are doing something. They are asking for those services to be better funded
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I'm not upset about protests. I strongly support people's right to peacefully assemble, I don't support anyones right to spray paint private property or take over a private business. The victims of the shootings are mostly black men. Twice as many black men have been killed by other black men in this city alone than the total amount of black men killed by the police in the entire country. No need to dispute that black men are treated poorly by the police compared to white men. 175 people worldwide have been killed by white nationalist in the last 8 years. Not exactly an epidemic. 225 people were killed in KC alone last year.

As for Antifa, they can be violent and destructive which makes me give zero shits about whatever they believe in. White supremacist are worse in my book than Antifa. I'm all for being armed in public but these people dressed in all black with bats and knives are total wimps. People who legally carry a gun do so to protect themselves, not to use them to destroy property or attack others. There's a big difference. I love watching antifa dudes get knocked clean out, it's lovely.

The point of me bringing up what I did is because much more energy needs to be focused on all the murders happening within the black community. Over 7,000 black americans are killed via gun each year by other black americans. That's HALF of all deaths by shooting. Around 200 black americans are killed by the police each year and I'm not sure how many of those are unarmed. I've NEVER heard of a protest addressing black on black crime. I can't imagine social workers having a serious impact on the gun violence considering the concept of going to prison has no bearing on the people pulling the trigger.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Agreed. The hypocrisy is real.
Riverite wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:38 pm People are also terrified because unidentifiable federal troops have been picking up protestors in Portland Oregon and throwing them into either unmarked vehicles or enterprise vans.
They have GOV white and blue plates. That's how the federal government works. If you don't want to end up in the back of a federal government, blue colored, blue and white GSA tagged vehicle, then don't do something that will get you arrested and thrown in. Sorry, not sorry.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

im2kull wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:13 pm

Agreed. The hypocrisy is real.
Riverite wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:38 pm People are also terrified because unidentifiable federal troops have been picking up protestors in Portland Oregon and throwing them into either unmarked vehicles or enterprise vans.
They have GOV white and blue plates. That's how the federal government works. If you don't want to end up in the back of a federal government, blue colored, blue and white GSA tagged vehicle, then don't do something that will get you arrested and thrown in. Sorry, not sorry.
I didn’t know the federal government had the authority to do that, also what federal laws are they breaking?

You just assume that since they were protesting they were breaking the law?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

They suspected the person they arrested of vandalism. He was detailed, questioned and released, all within a few hours time. Not sure why any protestor is out past 2am anyway.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

If you're using the term "black on black crime" you're not a moderate.

What you're describing is poor on poor crime. Same crime you get with the crackers over on Hardesty.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:23 pm They suspected the person they arrested of vandalism. He was detailed, questioned and released, all within a few hours time. Not sure why any protestor is out past 2am anyway.
That’s not a federal crime, why are federal troops doing that? Where they invited by the state?