Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by loftguy »

trailerkid wrote: where is the neighborhood growing? 100% serious question.
A year from now there will be an additional 900-1000 people in residences now under construction.  600 to 800 to come in the year following that based on construction projects now being finalized.

At the moment, there is not much beyond that which is concrete.  The demand is there, but the projects beyond 2011 seem to be moving glacially.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

loftguy wrote: A year from now there will be an additional 900-1000 people in residences now under construction.  600 to 800 to come in the year following that based on construction projects now being finalized.
what projects are under construction right now which other ones are being finalized in the CBD?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Thanks for the update Powercat.  I'm constantly curious about sales numbers for the downtown market.  In fact, I just stopped by Cosentino's tonight.  Every time I'm in there shopping I hope my carts full of grocery items, laundry detergent, etc. help to encourage management that yes, there are people out there that use this store as their go-to grocer, at least most of the time.  That said, I also buy a ton of alcohol there (don't worry, haven't forgotten about Cellar Rat) and the occasional prepped food item, so I won't complain about the great selection in those departments. 

A slightly larger grocery selection would be appreciated, but I have no real complaints.  I could do without the seemingly wasted space that is the Kaiyo sushi bar, however, as I've rarely seen anyone manning the station and the sushi selection isn't even particularly great - no brown rice, really?  That area might be better utilized in another way.

I still feel like this beautiful, well-managed store is the current crown jewel of P&L, and by itself justifies the development (the only real competition IMO, is AMC or the Midland).
are we spinning free?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

trailerkid wrote: where is the neighborhood growing? 100% serious question.
I'm not arguing what somebody else stated.  Just paraphrasing for those who didn't see the article.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

rxlexi wrote: Thanks for the update Powercat.  I'm constantly curious about sales numbers for the downtown market.  In fact, I just stopped by Cosentino's tonight.  Every time I'm in there shopping I hope my carts full of grocery items, laundry detergent, etc. help to encourage management that yes, there are people out there that use this store as their go-to grocer, at least most of the time.  That said, I also buy a ton of alcohol there (don't worry, haven't forgotten about Cellar Rat) and the occasional prepped food item, so I won't complain about the great selection in those departments. 

A slightly larger grocery selection would be appreciated, but I have no real complaints.  I could do without the seemingly wasted space that is the Kaiyo sushi bar, however, as I've rarely seen anyone manning the station and the sushi selection isn't even particularly great - no brown rice, really?  That area might be better utilized in another way.

I still feel like this beautiful, well-managed store is the current crown jewel of P&L, and by itself justifies the development (the only real competition IMO, is AMC or the Midland).
A rough map search (I could have missed a few stragglers) from River Market to 31st/west side to 71 shows 129 properties sold in the last year and about 39 are pending contracts right now.  Not close to what it was in its heyday, but not stagnant.  I know that we've had 7 units sell in WST in the last year and only one of those was the developer's.  Considering what the downtown market has been like the last couple of years, that's not too bad.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

it is encouraging to me they are hitting their sales numbers and still see areas of growth.

since it opened I have used another grocer maybe 5 times, mostly when I was already somewhere not downtown and needed things out where I was traveling.

it is constantly busy when I am there and I try to visit at all times....I feel they will do about anything to keep their store fresh and appealing.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

also, piper and windows lofts are at 70% capacity (all new residents since summer)... plus the new rental units in the river market.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

forgot to mention this last month, but cosentino's now sells strawberry hill povitica (KCK) and green dirt farms cheese (weston). more great local foods!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DaveKCMO wrote: strawberry hill povitica (KCK)
It may be called Strawberry Hill but it is made in Lenexa KS, just west of 87th and I-35.

CORRECTED.  THANKS
Last edited by aknowledgeableperson on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

That would be Lenexa.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Have to revive this thread for this story....

Grabbed a small bite, sat in the seating area as I'll do typically once or twice a week. Mr. C walks around and often chats with customers and sometimes enforces the 30 min seating limit if very busy during lunch hour. A couple 'street guys' sitting next to me were getting food out clearly not purchased there. Mr C walked up to them and nicely but directly asked if they were buying anything today. They said they would afterwards but wanted to microwave their food, which is in seating area. He responded that they are hiring and he'd encourage them to apply. They asked if he'd hire someone with priors. He said yes, you are a human being and need to make a living and chatted with them a bit. I'm paraphrasing but pretty close to that. He was frank, direct, honest and nowhere near condescending - and let them stay. +1 Mr C.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nice!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:46 am Have to revive this thread for this story....

Grabbed a small bite, sat in the seating area as I'll do typically once or twice a week. Mr. C walks around and often chats with customers and sometimes enforces the 30 min seating limit if very busy during lunch hour. A couple 'street guys' sitting next to me were getting food out clearly not purchased there. Mr C walked up to them and nicely but directly asked if they were buying anything today. They said they would afterwards but wanted to microwave their food, which is in seating area. He responded that they are hiring and he'd encourage them to apply. They asked if he'd hire someone with priors. He said yes, you are a human being and need to make a living and chatted with them a bit. I'm paraphrasing but pretty close to that. He was frank, direct, honest and nowhere near condescending - and let them stay. +1 Mr C.
+1 for the good guys!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Stop your Costco/Whole Foods/TJ runs, downtowners! Use it or lose it!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:29 am Stop your Costco/Whole Foods/TJ runs, downtowners! Use it or lose it!
Is Cosentino's downtown on the ropes?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They seem busier than ever I'd guess no.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I don't hit it on evenings often but they are busy all day long, especially lunchtime and with convention crowds throughout day.

I didn't do justice to explaining Mr C's genuine gut/heart eloquence. He nailed it on so many levels.
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:29 am Stop your Costco/Whole Foods/TJ runs, downtowners! Use it or lose it!
Aren’t Costco and WF on the expanded trolley route?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:52 pm
Is Cosentino's downtown on the ropes?
No.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:55 pm They seem busier than ever I'd guess no.
Yeah, they’re doing very well.