Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:19 pm
shinatoo wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:08 pm
staubio wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 am

You single-handedly fixed the thread.
Well hold my beer. :D :D :D

Many people think that trust cannot be reestablished with the police force in any reasonable amount of time which is why many want a alternative to the police force to take action in these communities. That is why the Defund the Police movement exist. They don't want lawlessness, they already have that. They want a new kind of law enforcement, funded with the money they think is being wasted on the police force right now.

Just my two cents.

Also, as an aside, I'm want to get away from using them/they when I talk about the black community in Kansas City. We are all part of the same city. The black community is not a separately organized entity, it's a sub culture of our greater city. What we do, who we help, who we hurt, effects all of us. We need to stop thinking of these issues as a black problem and start thinking of them as our problem.

It is a struggle though because if I say "We want a new kind of law enforcement" it sounds like I’m saying I am part of the African American community. I am not. But by "we" I mean this city, collectively, should want something better for our communities that are under, or poorly, served.

I haven't figured it out, but i'm trying. I'm also rambling, so I'll stop.
Good point and while I disagree that less police will help, I do think more relationship building needs to be done between the black neighborhoods and the police. That's not the only issue, one of the biggest issues is the fact eye witnesses are terrified to talk to the police. Similar to how police protect each other, sometimes protecting a bad/guilty cop.

You have some republicans claiming that crime has skyrocketed in cities that have pushed the "defund the police" movement as a result of actually defunding the police. In reality, that movement likely has zero to do with the increase in crime and Covid along with the George Floyd situation is the real cause.

The We/They thing is hard and in my experience, people who say "we" that are white will usually pay the price. Catch 22 if you will.
I am of the opnion that the relationship between POC and the Police is, at minium, a generation away from being repaired, if everything goes fantasticly from this point onward.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Does someone need to be put in the quiet chair?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:54 pm
WSPanic wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:46 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:22 pm

One podcast hosted by two black men and over 11 in person community forums. What have you done for the cause? I'm active in this area and often discuss this topic on my own podcast with people of all races including some household names. I haven't said anything in this forum that I haven't said and discussed in person with POC.
TWO BLACK MEN????!?!!?!??1111!! OMG!
These insults are helpful! Thank you for discrediting my efforts to actually gain knowledge and involve myself in the situation as opposed to simply being a keyboard warrior.

I was invited on that podcast and the first attempt to insult me with the t-shirt comment incorrectly implied I was a co-host with a POC.

It's funny, I mention these things because people try to portray my comments as insensitive or racist. People who have very likely never participated in these conversations outside of the protected internet forum world. Do the few of you being rude have anything to contribute to the conversation or just want to make false accusations?
I thought it was clear I was making fun of you for being self-aggrandizing and overly-woke for a grocery store thread. Apologies if that came across as calling you a racist.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:40 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:54 pm
WSPanic wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:46 pm

TWO BLACK MEN????!?!!?!??1111!! OMG!
These insults are helpful! Thank you for discrediting my efforts to actually gain knowledge and involve myself in the situation as opposed to simply being a keyboard warrior.

I was invited on that podcast and the first attempt to insult me with the t-shirt comment incorrectly implied I was a co-host with a POC.

It's funny, I mention these things because people try to portray my comments as insensitive or racist. People who have very likely never participated in these conversations outside of the protected internet forum world. Do the few of you being rude have anything to contribute to the conversation or just want to make false accusations?
I thought it was clear I was making fun of you for being self-aggrandizing and overly-woke for a grocery store thread. Apologies if that came across as calling you a racist.
OH... my bad, you're just making fun of me. Got it. No worries!