Big 12 Basketball 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Big 12 Basketball 2008

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote: Actually, this brings up an interesting question...

Who are the best players to not play in-state from both Kansas and Missouri?  It's not exactly the easiest thing to figure out, as I know very little off the top of my head.
Leo Criswell was from Piper in KCK. But I can't seem to find any information about him after he went to Kentucky. Wonder what ever happened to him.....

&
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Who cares where players are from?
People who are desperately trying to distract attention from another argument where they made a preoposterous statement they can't support. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro...I welcome their press, just like ksu handled it fine last time on its way to a double digit victory that was more of a blowout than the score showed.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

bobbyhawks wrote: Who are the best players to not play in-state from both Kansas and Missouri?  It's not exactly the easiest thing to figure out, as I know very little off the top of my head.
Off the top of my head...

Lucius Allen (KCK) - UCLA
Maurice Evans (Wichita) - Texas
Korleone Young (Wichita) - drafted in NBA out of hs, then fizzled
Kris Weems (KCK) - Stanford
Earl Watson (KCK) - UCLA
Martin Lewis (Liberal) - played JUCO in KS, then drafted in 2nd round of '95 NBA draft

I remember seeing Kris Weems and Martin Lewis play in the 5A State Tourney in '93.  There were some great players in KS that year.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

The Chiefs & Royals would probably be way better if they had more players from the great state of Mizzery.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Anybody else watch that elimination game between ATM and NU last night?  Hell of a dramatic comeback and a shocking buzzer beating finish.  NU pounced early and ran up a huge lead only to have ATM take their first lead in like 39 minutes on a litteral last second, deep, defended three. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote: Off the top of my head...

Lucius Allen (KCK) - UCLA
Maurice Evans (Wichita) - Texas
Korleone Young (Wichita) - drafted in NBA out of hs, then fizzled
Kris Weems (KCK) - Stanford
Earl Watson (KCK) - UCLA
Martin Lewis (Liberal) - played JUCO in KS, then drafted in 2nd round of '95 NBA draft

I remember seeing Kris Weems and Martin Lewis play in the 5A State Tourney in '93.  There were some great players in KS that year.
Larry Drew is from KCK
Darnell Valentine is from Wichita
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Highlander wrote: Larry Drew is from KCK
Darnell Valentine is from Wichita
He was asking about players from KS & MO who didn't play for either KU or MU.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote: He was asking about players from KS & MO who didn't play for either KU or MU.
Then add Jon Koncak to that list.  Went to Center, played for SMU and then the Atlanta Hawks.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Antoine Carr was from Wichita. Steve Henson was from Junction City.

Then there's PSYCHO T from Mizzourah.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

kcmetro wrote: He was asking about players from KS & MO who didn't play for either KU or MU.
David Lee was a star at Florida... he was from St. Louis.
KCPowercat wrote: What is mu going to do different to avoid being run out of the gym like last time they met?
First, Mizzou is actually going to hit some shots.  Second, KSU isn't going to go insane from the 3 point line.  Third, KSU isn't going to shoot the ball lights out in general.  
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NBA Players who attended Kansas high schools

NBA Players who attended Missouri high schools (I had no idea Ryan Robertson played 1 game in the NBA. I also had no idea Norm Stewart played in the NBA!)
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... y/11420629

Bill Self woke up Tuesday morning with his Kansas Jayhawks atop the Big 12 standings.

He should be leading the National Coach of the Year race, too.

Sure, there are other worthy candidates, guys like Buzz Williams (Marquette), Mike Anderson (Missouri), Jeff Capel (Oklahoma), John Calipari (Memphis), Brad Stevens (Butler), Jamie Dixon (Pittsburgh), Oliver Purnell (Clemson) and Ed Conroy (The Citadel), to name a few.

But the fact that Self will enter March with a 23-5 record featuring a 12-1 mark in league play is enough to give the Kansas coach the nod, and anybody disagreeing should call Billy Donovan and ask how tough it is to reload after a national title when most of your good bullets have long left the barrel.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote: NBA Players who attended Kansas high schools

NBA Players who attended Missouri high schools (I had no idea Ryan Robertson played 1 game in the NBA. I also had no idea Norm Stewart played in the NBA!)
Good find!

I also forgot that two players from Shawnee Mission East in Kansas went to Oklahoma State around 1997-98, Michael Johnson (transferred to William and Mary) and Fred Jonzen, no relation, obviously.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bobbyhawks wrote: Good find!

I also forgot that two players from Shawnee Mission East in Kansas went to Oklahoma State around 1997-98, Michael Johnson (transferred to William and Mary) and Fred Jonzen, no relation, obviously.
He may not make it to the pros but here is another kid from Johnson County putting up some pretty impressive numbers his freshman year at Tech.  Good rebounder and nice inside scorer. 

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/82147
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Mu hit 10 of 19 3s for 53%. Really think you will hit higher than that?

Ksu did hit a good % of shots but breaking pressure will give you that...our two pg's certainly help break pressure.

Good luck tonight mu fans
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: Mu hit 10 of 19 3s for 53%. Really think you will hit higher than that?

Ksu did hit a good % of shots but breaking pressure will give you that...our two pg's certainly help break pressure.

Good luck tonight mu fans
ksu needs this win more than mu. it could give mu some good momentum going into their final few games, but it would help ksu in terms of beating a top 10 team, helps them as a bubble team. winning out with wins against ranked teams would really help their cause.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: ksu needs this win more than mu. it could give mu some good momentum going into their final few games, but it would help ksu in terms of beating a top 10 team, helps them as a bubble team. winning out with wins against ranked teams would really help their cause.
If your the Wildcats, you certainly like to hope that some of the Missouri players might have been sitting around the first half of this week looking at the schedule and playing "what if" games about their chances against OU/KU/B12 championship rather than focusing on the Cats.  KSU does have a couple of big guys that can play some above average defence against MU's quality front court, which I think is part of what makes them a tougher match up for MU than a lot of other B12 schools. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: If your the Wildcats, you certainly like to hope that some of the Missouri players might have been sitting around the first half of this week looking at the schedule and playing "what if" games about their chances against OU/KU/B12 championship rather than focusing on the Cats.  KSU does have a couple of big guys that can play some above average defence against MU's quality front court, which I think is part of what makes them a tougher match up for MU than a lot of other B12 schools. 
Even with KU coming up, Mizzou should be up for this game.  They have two losses in the Big XII, one against Kstate, that's going to have a motivating effect.  Kstate does provide a pretty good match up athletically but they really aren't as skilled at most positions except maybe at PG where Clemente is more of an offensive threat but Tiller and Taylor are better at taking care of the ball and potentially the two best defensive guards in the conference (Tiller most likely is the best defensive guard).  MU has better depth.