No More One-Way Streets in Downtown...

Transportation topics in KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: No More One-Way Streets in Downtown...

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:59 pm central avenue in the loop will be converted to two-way traffic in the spring.
Dave, it’s been a while on this thread, but any chance this idea can be revived? Or a blanket revision of One ways downtown to Two way? This seems like an important endeavor for traffic flow that would come from a downtown stadium.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:54 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:59 pm central avenue in the loop will be converted to two-way traffic in the spring.
Dave, it’s been a while on this thread, but any chance this idea can be revived? Or a blanket revision of One ways downtown to Two way? This seems like an important endeavor for traffic flow that would come from a downtown stadium.
Last I heard it was still a thing, but the city needed funding to convert (or remove) the signals at 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:25 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:54 pm
Last I heard it was still a thing, but the city needed funding to convert (or remove) the signals at 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th.
Gotcha, would this come from public works? Or a separate entity within the city for this? Could neighborhoods get involved to get this going?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It really needs a nudge from the Downtown Council. But I fear with NFL Draft and World Cup coming they'll hesitate to do anything that might be perceived as impacting traffic.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:05 pm It really needs a nudge from the Downtown Council. But I fear with NFL Draft and World Cup coming they'll hesitate to do anything that might be perceived as impacting traffic.
Can't see the forest for the trees, I guess.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Maybe this should be a separate thread but aside from all the one-ways that really desperately need to be converted to two way traffic... why are intersections in the loop so over-signalized and signalized badly at that? Seriously most times of the day I could stop at a red light for example 14th and Wyandotte or 11th and Baltimore or 8th and Grand, wait the entire signal length and never see any cross traffic. How much better life would be if we could have sensors that controlled the lights intelligently in real time, or simply make them flash red at non peak times so they could be treated as a 4-way stop? I never really drive a car in the loop, but when I go around on my motorcycle I honestly treat quite a few signalized intersections as 4-way stops. I stop and if no one is coming and there's no cops to be seen I just proceed. It's just too mind numbing to hit 3 red lights in a row and have a grand total of one car cross in front of you, there's just not enough traffic to justify signals at off peak times at a bunch of intersections that have them.

TLDR: traffic signals in the loop suck almost as badly as all the one way streets.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Yes

I’m sure there’s a method to the signaling downtown, but it’s frustrating
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Public Works designs the signals for rush hour. Set it and forget it. No consideration for changing patterns during events or off peak. Parking & Transportation Commission was successful in piloting flashing reds after hours, but it didn't catch on. The best plan would be total removal and replacement with 4-way stops if the signals don't meet MUTCD warrants for volume. Sure, people run stop signs but you just admitted running red lights. At least with stop signs most people are slowing down.

Downtown Council also lost interest in pushing one-way conversions. I guess they got distracted by making Class A office "happen" and lid parks?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

For lights to be set at one "set it and forget it" pacing, they sure seem to misfire a lot and have odd timings at random times. I assume old equipment is part of that reason. Same with ped count down timing going from 25 to don't walk, etc.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Noticed on the KCMO Capital Projects site that is lists a conversion of 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th street to two-way as a project that is underway. Currently they are in predesign and analyzing 13 intersections that would be affected. Construction period says 11/31/2024- 12/21/2025.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mgh7676 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:44 am Noticed on the KCMO Capital Projects site that is lists a conversion of 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th street to two-way as a project that is underway. Currently they are in predesign and analyzing 13 intersections that would be affected. Construction period says 11/31/2024- 12/21/2025.
This is great news! Downtown Neighborhood Association lobbied hard for this.