No More One-Way Streets in Downtown...

Transportation topics in KC
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

No More One-Way Streets in Downtown...

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'm surprised that no one has posted this yet? This is good news...

KC considers converting streets from one-way
New plan would make driving downtown easier
By KEVIN COLLISON
The Kansas City Star

City Hall plans to begin converting sections of several downtown streets from one-way to two-way travel next year starting in the new Library District.

The long-awaited move was discussed Tuesday at a meeting of the Greater Downtown Development Authority. Steve Worley, an assistant traffic engineer, told members that Ninth and 10th streets, between Wyandotte Avenue and Main Street, will be among the first to be converted early next year.

Both stretches serve an area of older office buildings being converted into loft apartments and condominiums next to the downtown public library being built at Baltimore Avenue and 10th Street.

Also on tap for 2004 are stretches of several streets on downtown's west side. Washington Avenue between 12th and 14th streets, and Eighth and Ninth streets between Jefferson Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, are scheduled to go two-way.

The new street orientation plan is intended to make traveling around downtown easier for motorists. Downtown's network of one-way streets has often been cited as a problem by visitors, and the changes to two-way travel have been endorsed by the Downtown Council.

Worley said further conversions to two-way are on tap for 2005 and beyond. They include Wyandotte between Sixth and 14th streets, and Ninth Street between Broadway and Main in early 2005, and Main Street from 10th Street to Truman Road in early 2006. Oak Street between Ninth and 10th will become a two-way for the planned bus rapid transit line only when that system begins operating.

In the next three to five years, Central Avenue is scheduled to be converted to two-way travel between Ninth and 12th streets, and Pennsylvania will go two-way between 12th and 14th streets.

Worley said drivers would receive adequate notice of when the street conversions will occur.

In other matters, the downtown authority voted to recommend a set of boundaries for downtown that would define which areas would be eligible for the new state tax incentives contained in the Missouri Downtown Economic Stimulus Act, or MoDESA. The legislation, approved earlier this year, provides state sales and income tax incentives for new development.

The boundaries endorsed by the authority roughly follow the 1885 city limits: the Missouri River to the north, Monroe and Cleveland avenues to the east, 31st Street and Linwood Boulevard to the south, and the state line to the west. The area covers 13.8 square miles.

The board rejected a definition supported by the City Planning Department that would have extended the downtown boundaries along so-called development corridors. Members were concerned that such a map would be considered gerrymandering and difficult to defend to those excluded.

“It's ill-advised to have districts with long, narrow spider legs,â€
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: No More One-Way Streets in Downtown...

Post by tat2kc »

It is great news, for sure. I am surprised, however, at the small conversion going on on 9th and 10th. It'll only be a two block stretch that is converting to 2 way. The rest of the street, in the loop, will continue to be one way on either end of the two way section. Won't this create more confusion? Why not go ahead and convert adn entire stretch of street in the loop back to two way, instead of sections? I am sure there is a traffic engineer's good reason to do it this way, but I am not getting it. I do love the fact that finally we are getting rid of the one ways.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Meh.

I like the one-way streets. If anything, it encourages people not to drive.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

bahua wrote:If anything, it encourages people not to drive.
Exactly! And when visitors who drive cars (like most people do) go downtown, they're quickly wanting to leave the annoying maze.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I dunno, one-way streets are pedestrian friendly. To me this is another typical example of KC catering to cars instead of pedestrians. Yet again, pedestrians are treated as second-class citizens to cars.

And speaking of make things pedestrian friendly, we need to have significant fines (like $300) if a car enters a crosswalk with a person in it. Denver and LA have fines this stiff and it works.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

ignatius wrote:And speaking of make things pedestrian friendly, we need to have significant fines (like $300) if a car enters a crosswalk with a person in it. Denver and LA have fines this stiff and it works.
What's with all the people inside the loop who stand their on the corner while their light is green, then, once it turns red, start meandering slowly through the crosswalk making everyone have to hit the brakes? I encounter this at least 2 or 3 times a week.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

ignatius wrote:I dunno, one-way streets are pedestrian friendly. To me this is another typical example of KC catering to cars instead of pedestrians. Yet again, pedestrians are treated as second-class citizens to cars.

And speaking of make things pedestrian friendly, we need to have significant fines (like $300) if a car enters a crosswalk with a person in it. Denver and LA have fines this stiff and it works.
And maybe someone will get tired of getting all their tickets for being an ass driver, and say "to hell with it! I'm not driving anymore!"

We can only hope.
stmdqmw
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by stmdqmw »

Another way to make the streets pedestrian friendly is to have the light change after the walk button is pressed to shorten the wait time for pedestrians to no more than ten seconds. The long wait for a walk signal discourge walking and that is proably why some people go aganist the signal.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Is Main St. south of 10th being converted to two way traffic?  It looks like a new lights have been put up at 11th/Petticoat & Main facing what would be Northbound traffic.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

God i hope so.  It needs to be 2 way the entire length. The 5 block one way stretch is a pain in the butt.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

They've already converted between 12th & 13th.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

the last time I was there, the intersection of 12th and Main was all mangled due to the Jones demolition. Main as it went south past the Midland Theatre was blocked off. So is that all changed now?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

No, it's still mangled.  But there is now a yellow stripe.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't see what the problem with Main being a one way is. Want a big, wide, expansive, lane-changing two-way street? Go four blocks to the west and jump on Broadway, or go two blocks east and get on Grand. Sick of driving downtown? Stop! Park the car and walk an extra quarter mile.

The push to cater more to drivers in a patently bad area for driving just doesn't make any sense to me.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Yeah, I don't see the big deal with every street being two way.  It isn't that hard to jog over a block.

They put the new lights up at 10th & Main yesterday.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

bahua wrote: I don't see what the problem with Main being a one way is. Want a big, wide, expansive, lane-changing two-way street? Go four blocks to the west and jump on Broadway, or go two blocks east and get on Grand. Sick of driving downtown? Stop! Park the car and walk an extra quarter mile.

The push to cater more to drivers in a patently bad area for driving just doesn't make any sense to me.
It isn't all about cars.  Planners have also observed that businesses located on 2-way streets do better.  2-way streets will also make the street a little less scary for pedestrians.  Riding bikes on smaller 2 way streets is a lot easier as well.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

staubio wrote: 2-way streets will also make the street a little less scary for pedestrians.
I disagree with this.  I find it much easier to cross a one way street, you don't have to worry about cars coming at you from both directions :)
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

lock&load wrote: I disagree with this.  I find it much easier to cross a one way street, you don't have to worry about cars coming at you from both directions :)

True.  I feel compelled to look both ways anyway.  Don't know why.  It just seems 2 way streets, especially in downtown, are slower and more controlled.  A one-way street gives people the feeling of an expressway.  It also forces those walking against traffic to journey with cars roaring toward them.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

I'm glad Main will be a two-way street once again.  There was something disturbingly symbolic about our "Main" street going just one way -- OUT of downtown.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

staubio wrote: True.  I feel compelled to look both ways anyway.  Don't know why.  It just seems 2 way streets, especially in downtown, are slower and more controlled.  A one-way street gives people the feeling of an expressway.  It also forces those walking against traffic to journey with cars roaring toward them.
Exactly, two-way streets seem to slow the automobiles, probably because drivers have to pay attention to oncoming traffic and it cuts the turn on red cases in half by controlling left turns.