OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Post by dukuboy1 »

agree, this is a chance to thing big so to speak. But I'm not sure if the big money philanthropists in the city are too concerned about a history museum and or aviation. Their buttons seem to be the Arts and sports
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

mister816 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:16 pm I still stand by my post from a few months ago... This would be a perfect location/size for a natural history museum
And I still stand by my brilliant idea...
taxi wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:17 pm I have always wanted to open up a natural history museum that would have animals that didn't make it onto Noah's ark. A fun contrast to the Creation Museum in KY. This would be a good place for it.
I can bring in a team of the best taxidermists in the world and should be able to pull it off for $10M. With tax breaks, of course. Who's with me? I will start a gofundme.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I’d like to know if the anti-development KC Star is going to take any accountability for using tax incentives to build this building and saying at the time, “we won’t be back for any further incentives” only to ask for a 10 year extension in 2015. Shouldn’t they criticize the city for granting that extension knowing the declining status of printed news?

How about some accountability Star?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would imagine that the Airline History Museum was hit hard like many other places by COVID, and people stopped going. If attendance was way down, then admission fees were way down.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

How about all of these museums combined into a transportation museum. Steamboat, airline, add train, car is easy, maybe some covered wagons? The exhibit on how highway policy destroyed urban America could just be a platform looking out the north window.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:05 am How about all of these museums combined into a transportation museum. Steamboat, airline, add train, car is easy, maybe some covered wagons? The exhibit on how highway policy destroyed urban America could just be a platform looking out the north window.
Went to the London transit museum a few Months back, and even during Covid it was packed! An exhibit like that has the allure across generations as well, kids absolutely loved the place!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Sani wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:15 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:32 am I believe it was the TWA Museum that was getting booted. They only have one aircraft along with lots of memorabilia and a flight simulator. Definitely not enough to fill the space on its own.
The TWA Museum says they are not at risk of losing their lease and are operating as normal:
We’d like to clear up some confusion about our museum and our neighboring museum, the National Airline History Museum. We’re doing fine. We invite you to read the press release we issued today which should clarify things for everyone.
From the articles about the National Airline History Museum, it sounds like Signature Flight Support wants to kick them out. My guess, and this is with absolutely zero inside information, is that Signature wants to use that hangar and ramp space for something profitable instead.
Ok, sorry for the confusion.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:42 am
shinatoo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:05 am How about all of these museums combined into a transportation museum. Steamboat, airline, add train, car is easy, maybe some covered wagons? The exhibit on how highway policy destroyed urban America could just be a platform looking out the north window.
Went to the London transit museum a few Months back, and even during Covid it was packed! An exhibit like that has the allure across generations as well, kids absolutely loved the place!
Love this idea! Apparently the building has about 350,000 sqft of space, so its cubic area must be insane. More than enough space to house a world class transportation museum
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The airline history museum is failing. I'm just not sure who would come in and organize something like this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm off all museum ideas. Just make it a downtown amazon delivery hub.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah none of this seems in the core competency of any person or entity here that I can think of. I have no idea what to do with this building.

I think some of the ideas here are a little too “shit kcrag thinks is cool” and less sustainable stuff.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Adult Discovery Zone.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Temptations East
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's hard to know what to do with the structure without going through it and see how it's configured.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

https://givebutter.com/zOazMz#storylink ... est_latest

The KC Star now asking for donations to support their reporters. Total bullshit. Just disband and reform as a non-profit. Or let the other existing non-profits take over. Its unbelievable a for profit company thinks they can operate like this.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

kboish wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:09 am https://givebutter.com/zOazMz#storylink ... est_latest

The KC Star now asking for donations to support their reporters. Total bullshit. Just disband and reform as a non-profit. Or let the other existing non-profits take over. Its unbelievable a for profit company thinks they can operate like this.
I came here to post that lol. Looks like all of the McClatchy papers are doing it. And the “charity” works exclusively with them.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Companies and individuals giving 'donations' to reporters writing stories about/for them...what could possibly go wrong?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

McClatchy is defunding positions at their papers that were hired through the report for america program. Why? Because that program has made reports on how to stop hedge funds, like the one that owns McClatchy, from killing local news,

The Star had recently hired at least 3 reporters from this program to help cover gun violence.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Is it just me or does the Star post local news stories from across the US that are completely irrelevant to our local metro nor are major national headlines?
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:49 pm Is it just me or does the Star post local news stories from across the US that are completely irrelevant to our local metro nor are major national headlines?
Usually some salacious clickbait crime angle. Think I know the one you are talking about right now.