OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Post by DColeKC »

Beautiful building but so difficult and costly to flip into something profitable. The cheapest option would likely be the "building in a building" concept. Hope it turns into something useful for DT.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Wish there was a way we could turn this into a brewery, coffee roaster, or something of that sort.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Brewery is actually a good idea.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

How about indoor sports? Kayaking. Climbing walls. Skiing.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Air and space museum?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Did I hear the Airline Museum is getting booted from the downtown airport? Might work here, especially if the collection can be expanded or paired with something else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Isn't one of the reasons the Airline Museum is at the downtown airport is because they have operating aircraft in their collection?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Steamboat Arabia, just rebuild the whole thing.

Be a great highway attraction.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I believe it was the TWA Museum that was getting booted. They only have one aircraft along with lots of memorabilia and a flight simulator. Definitely not enough to fill the space on its own.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:32 am I believe it was the TWA Museum that was getting booted. They only have one aircraft along with lots of memorabilia and a flight simulator. Definitely not enough to fill the space on its own.
Airline History Museum and they have a bunch of airplanes. Steam Boat Arabia's lease at River market is up in 2026 so they will (hopefully) be leaving then.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think moving the airline museum to current KCI Terminal C would be awesome.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:01 pm I think moving the airline museum to current KCI Terminal C would be awesome.
Terminal C will be and must be bulldozed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

"must be"?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:01 pm I think moving the airline museum to current KCI Terminal C would be awesome.
I like that idea. I wish they would keep one of the terminals. They are/were a great example of Brutalist architecture!
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I still stand by my post from a few months ago... This would be a perfect location/size for a natural history museum
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:32 am I believe it was the TWA Museum that was getting booted. They only have one aircraft along with lots of memorabilia and a flight simulator. Definitely not enough to fill the space on its own.
The TWA Museum says they are not at risk of losing their lease and are operating as normal:
We’d like to clear up some confusion about our museum and our neighboring museum, the National Airline History Museum. We’re doing fine. We invite you to read the press release we issued today which should clarify things for everyone.
From the articles about the National Airline History Museum, it sounds like Signature Flight Support wants to kick them out. My guess, and this is with absolutely zero inside information, is that Signature wants to use that hangar and ramp space for something profitable instead.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sani wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:15 am
The TWA Museum says they are not at risk of losing their lease and are operating as normal:
We’d like to clear up some confusion about our museum and our neighboring museum, the National Airline History Museum. We’re doing fine. We invite you to read the press release we issued today which should clarify things for everyone.
From the articles about the National Airline History Museum, it sounds like Signature Flight Support wants to kick them out. My guess, and this is with absolutely zero inside information, is that Signature wants to use that hangar and ramp space for something profitable instead.
It was something along the lines of their lease has been up for a while (iirc over a year) and they also haven’t paid rent in some time.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree with the post that this would be a golden opportunity to turn it into a museum of some sort. A great natural history museum, and do it up right, perhaps see about what other buildings and space could be incorporated over time in the immediate footprint. But create a regional draw and a nice cultural destination downtown. Perhaps showing the airline industry's history & heritage of the midwest & KC would be great, along with other things. Not sure the over size of the building and what it could house but something like that would be awesome.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:48 am I agree with the post that this would be a golden opportunity to turn it into a museum of some sort. A great natural history museum, and do it up right, perhaps see about what other buildings and space could be incorporated over time in the immediate footprint. But create a regional draw and a nice cultural destination downtown. Perhaps showing the airline industry's history & heritage of the midwest & KC would be great, along with other things. Not sure the over size of the building and what it could house but something like that would be awesome.
There is so much aviation history in KC, the Fairfax B-25 plant, TWA, Amelia Earhart being from near the area. If this is not something perused, it’ll fall in line with the dozens of other missed opportunities in KC in my opinion