OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Post by FangKC »

The Kansas City Star will move into new offices at Crown Center complex near downtown
The Kansas City Star will move into an office tower in the city’s Crown Center complex this summer. The Star on Tuesday announced it had signed a lease with Crown Center Redevelopment Corp, a real estate subsidiary of Hallmark Cards that manages the 85-acre hotel, office and entertainment complex surrounding the company’s headquarters. The newspaper will occupy a portion of 2405 Grand Boulevard, a 245,000-square-foot building that spans 14 floors. Through The Link, the tower is connected to Union Station, the shops at Crown Center, as well as nearby hotels and offices.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 31784.html

Kansas City Star will move to Crown Center complex over the summer
Having officially moved out of the glass building at 1601 McGee St. in 2021, the Kansas City Star announced Tuesday it has found a new place to call home.

The daily newspaper has signed a lease with Crown Center Redevelopment Corp. to occupy part of the 245,000-square-foot building at 2405 Grand Blvd., The Star reported.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-03-16
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I thought they were moving to Iowa?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The newspaper is being printed in Iowa. The reporting and administrative staff remain in KCMO.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:58 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:49 pm Is it just me or does the Star post local news stories from across the US that are completely irrelevant to our local metro nor are major national headlines?
Usually some salacious clickbait crime angle. Think I know the one you are talking about right now.
It’s multiple times a day about any number of subjects. Now that you mention it, clickbait crime is a common theme.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:49 pm Is it just me or does the Star post local news stories from across the US that are completely irrelevant to our local metro nor are major national headlines?
Their Twitter feed is almost useless. Very click baity.

They must a lot of this out of a central officeb now that they have to post and not locally.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Airline History Museum maybe getting kicked out of MKC. Printing Press would be a cool new location. I've given up on saving terminal C at MCI for it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The situation started Sept. 9, 2019, when Kansas City amended its lease with Signature Flight Support for management of the Downtown Airport. The amendment deleted all financial benefits for the National Airline History Museum, essentially meaning the city would start charging Signature rent for the museum's space beginning in December 2019. Signature notified the museum that it would need to pay $3,256 a month in rent.
Clay County Circuit Court Judge K. Elizabeth Davis ruled for Signature on March 21, 2022. The ruling requires the museum to pay Signature $140,264, plus 9% interest until fully paid. Double rent of $6,512, plus utilities, also continues to accrue.
Why did the city delete the financial benefits for the museum when amending the lease? Was that intentional?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... e-twa.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

not sure. The MKC tarmac space should be too valuable for an airline museum honestly. it's tight there as it is.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

How much rework of the printing press building would be needed for a museum conversion do we think? From what I can see through the windows it would be mostly equipment removal, but I can’t gauge well the layout from the exterior.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Isn't one of the attractions of the Airline History Museum the fact they have still-operable historic aircraft on site? This requires space at an airport.

I bet they end up moving to a suburban airport.

https://www.airlinehistory.org/
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It would all fit and space for more.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:56 am Isn't one of the attractions of the Airline History Museum the fact they have still-operable historic aircraft on site? This requires space at an airport.

I bet they end up moving to a suburban airport.

https://www.airlinehistory.org/
How long is the Connie going to keep flying?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

As long as there are people who can maintain them, and parts can be found.

One of the features of the museum though is that they still fly the planes and people can pay for rides on occasion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see that as a dealbreaker for moving the rest of the museum that doesn't fly.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I can't get this airline museum idea out of my head. Not necessarily saying that it will happen, just that it would be the perfect. What a great landmark steps away from the future South Loop Park AND the old TWA building. The glass on all sides would be gorgeous showcase. I could see a "Thursdays On Tap" event after hours for just adults with live music and local beer (or Cider) being a very successful weekly event.

The former loading dock would be a great place for food trucks and for people to hang out.

Anyway, thanks for letting me wishcast. Has anyone heard anything about the museum's potential eviction?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Would the airline history museum want to be there? It means all efforts past and present to get things flying are wasted/ended. Big hope/focus of the group has always been to fly the planes.

Is this building wide enough to fit planes? The Connie and the L1011 are too big to fit taking measurements from Earth. Some of the smaller planes you could fit I think
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Instead of focusing on just one form of transportation how about a 'Crossroads of America' transit museum? Train engines, riverboats, cars and planes. All converge in Kansas City.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I had done the planes earlier using Google maps and it fit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:13 pm Instead of focusing on just one form of transportation how about a 'Crossroads of America' transit museum? Train engines, riverboats, cars and planes. All converge in Kansas City.
Very cool idea
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:13 pm I had done the planes earlier using Google maps and it fit
What is the actual clear with inside? I remembered around ~120' when seeing the plans years ago and Earth looks close.