OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What a disaster this build was!!! Both for the city and the environment. You know tons of that equipment will just get junked.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I'm wavering on whether this building should be reused or not. On one hand, it's massive and architectural, and could make a good setting for a downtown museum/cultural center/whatever.

On the other hand, it really is a monument to a disaster. It splits 16th street and occupies two entire city blocks. Demolishing it is an opportunity to restore the grid and urbanism.

If there are still zero plans for it after five years from now, it should to be torn down.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Still think it would be a good shell for a history museum. The 16th St underpass would be ideal for loading/unloading school buses. Why put in some sort of niche museum(s) when we lack a regional history museum? It would be like if we did not have the Nelson Atkins but wanted to put in a Cubist museum.
Last edited by moderne on Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

I've heard of a museum in town looking for a new location...

I think it would be kinda hilarious to have monument to a sinking ship house the remains of a ship that sank.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:13 pm Instead of focusing on just one form of transportation how about a 'Crossroads of America' transit museum? Train engines, riverboats, cars and planes. All converge in Kansas City.
St. Louis might have thoughts on that: https://tnmot.org/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Eon Blue wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:55 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:13 pm Instead of focusing on just one form of transportation how about a 'Crossroads of America' transit museum? Train engines, riverboats, cars and planes. All converge in Kansas City.
St. Louis might have thoughts on that: https://tnmot.org/
Yeah, do that! And I don't care much about St. Louis' thoughts. They haven't had an original one in over 50 years.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I've heard a rumor about the future of this building a while back. Not sure if its still in the cards or not. I'd say probably not, but you never know.

There's limited resume potential unless you turned it into some sort of weird shopping center. Museum? Sure but the Arabia guy would like it handed to him for free or something or some other museum would have to think about moving potentially large items in without disassembling them (one of the reasons why a transport museum wouldn't necessarily work with large trains).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:04 pm Would the airline history museum want to be there? It means all efforts past and present to get things flying are wasted/ended. Big hope/focus of the group has always been to fly the planes.

Is this building wide enough to fit planes? The Connie and the L1011 are too big to fit taking measurements from Earth. Some of the smaller planes you could fit I think
I doubt they would put the larger planes (the Connie) in there because they want to be able to fly them.

They could still make a museum using airline posters, uniforms, memorabilia, etc.

I think the best and probably only reuse of this building is to house a museum of some kind. I think the Toy and Miniatures Museum might do better here than in Brookside. The KC Car Museum was also looking for a larger space.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

FangKC wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:10 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:04 pm Would the airline history museum want to be there? It means all efforts past and present to get things flying are wasted/ended. Big hope/focus of the group has always been to fly the planes.

Is this building wide enough to fit planes? The Connie and the L1011 are too big to fit taking measurements from Earth. Some of the smaller planes you could fit I think
I doubt they would put the larger planes (the Connie) in there because they want to be able to fly them.

They could still make a museum using airline posters, uniforms, memorabilia, etc.

I think the best and probably only reuse of this building is to house a museum of some kind. I think the Toy and Miniatures Museum might do better here than in Brookside. The KC Car Museum was also looking for a larger space.
I was just thinking that as well or some sort of food/cultural hub like Markt Hall in Rotterdam. My dream for a new Toy & Miniatures museum would be to model it after Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany. You could bolster it with an educational center focusing on engineering, design and urban planning.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Has anyone offered the building to Tension Envelope? They might have use for the printing equipment and I’m sure the newer building would save them some money on upkeep and HVAC. Then, the Tension Envelope building could be given in trade and renovated for condos/apartments. That’s an amazing building from the outside, would further development of East Crossroads and further connect 18th and Vine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:58 pm I'm wavering on whether this building should be reused or not. On one hand, it's massive and architectural, and could make a good setting for a downtown museum/cultural center/whatever.

On the other hand, it really is a monument to a disaster. It splits 16th street and occupies two entire city blocks. Demolishing it is an opportunity to restore the grid and urbanism.

If there are still zero plans for it after five years from now, it should to be torn down.
Could easily let 16th back through.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:13 pm Has anyone offered the building to Tension Envelope? They might have use for the printing equipment and I’m sure the newer building would save them some money on upkeep and HVAC. Then, the Tension Envelope building could be given in trade and renovated for condos/apartments. That’s an amazing building from the outside, would further development of East Crossroads and further connect 18th and Vine.
Ambassador hospitality “offered” them the building at the great price of $40 million+

In all honesty, we want a busy industrial center next to P&L and our new downtown park
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Is there some local history or reason KC should have an airline museum? I’ve been to Museum of Flight in Seattle & Air and Space in DC. If an airline Museum is to be a hit, it’s gotta be more similar to DC’s version of this museum. I believe it’s the most popular museum in DC as well? So if you do it right, it can be wildly successful.

I will say, I do think putting just about any museum downtown would be a hit. I find it weird that some people want to plan museums in KC out in suburban locations when downtown would be so much obviously better for getting people.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:07 pm Is there some local history or reason KC should have an airline museum? I’ve been to Museum of Flight in Seattle & Air and Space in DC. If an airline Museum is to be a hit, it’s gotta be more similar to DC’s version of this museum. I believe it’s the most popular museum in DC as well? So if you do it right, it can be wildly successful.

I will say, I do think putting just about any museum downtown would be a hit. I find it weird that some people want to plan museums in KC out in suburban locations when downtown would be so much obviously better for getting people.
TWA headquarters, we manufactured b-25s during the war. That’s at least a couple
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Downtown KC land is relatively expensive and generally has a higher and better use than being a museum. Museums take up a lot of space and don't make a lot of money. KC doesn't fund their museums the way that other cities and states do. So you see a flight to lower-cost space and certain special funding/incentive deals outside of downtown.

KC needs to consolidate museums and other attractions in the core. It is an aspect of the event/tourism business that we struggle with: centralized activities for guests outside of the main event. Everything is spread and the hotels have followed in spreading out.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:56 pm It is an aspect of the event/tourism business that we struggle with: centralized activities for guests outside of the main event.
This is maybe the biggest reason we need the Royals downtown
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

my brain keeps dragging me back to a natural history museum. I can imagine school buses lined up daily in front of a natural history museum. the DC NHM draws literally double the foot traffic than the next most popular museum at the mall because that's where the public interest is. anything other than that would be a huge miss
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Grow house for our budding bud industry.

But seriously, would be a great place to have an industrial-level produce facility. Seriously local food production.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

mister816 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:15 am my brain keeps dragging me back to a natural history museum. I can imagine school buses lined up daily in front of a natural history museum. the DC NHM draws literally double the foot traffic than the next most popular museum at the mall because that's where the public interest is. anything other than that would be a huge miss
I will start a go fund me for my brilliant idea of the unnatural history museum. It will house all the animals that did not make it onto Noah's ark.