Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Westport

Post by beautyfromashes »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:46 pm That space needs to be something that caters to the neighborhood not weekend warrior yuppies from the burbs.
https://foursquare.com/v/harlings-upsta ... 20f5e222e3
Fountains
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Fountains »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:22 pm Oh absolutely. That entire corner is about to evolve once more into something new. I am very curious to see what will replace that space.

On the flipside I worked for the Johnny Kaws conglomerate for a year back in 2018 and I remember when Brett acquired the Californos building. Does anyone know what’s going on with his “cowboy bar” I remember they released a trailer about a year ago with some photographs of an actual bar space that had been built, rumors of a mechanical bull, and combining the space with the current Yard Bar, only to increase capacity. Whatever happened to all that?
I know a manager who works at one of the Kaws establishments. Said there was alot of work needed to be done still and it was about a year away from opening. This was back in May.

I used to work at Californos and believe it. I don't know if many will recall but toward the end the owner sold half of his ownership to another group. They were somehow able to back out of the deal when it was discovered the building needed hundreds of thousands in repairs.
dukuboy1
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by dukuboy1 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:48 pm
Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:46 pm That space needs to be something that caters to the neighborhood not weekend warrior yuppies from the burbs.
Couldn't u say that about the Russell, billies grocery. Taeullor, cheval and a few others? Canary was probably making money but the pitch story says all the staff walked out and the new owners wanted to change everything around, I guarantee something else goes into the space.
Something will go back in there and sounds like the change of management was the driver behind the issues. I'm not in the restaurant business but I seem to recall this type of change usually being a killer for places, especially places doing well.

That stretch of Main from Armour Down to about 43rd st is going to go through some major change and development over the next 5 years. Some has already been completed, some is underway, and I'm several more in the planning stages. The area will become gentrified for sure, but that's not saying much given some of the socio-economics at work in the area currently. Going up was a given. I can see the "Yuppies" mixing well with the art school kids in the area and hopefully there will be a decent mix of housing options to keep for a good mix of residents, I guess we will see but regardless mid town will continue it's revival which is great.
Noahfleshman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Noahfleshman »

Harlings… I remember going there underage and the rooftop patio of theirs that seemed like it was falling off the building.

Thank you for answering my questions about Kaws, I felt like SpongeBob working there, in that episode where he has to make thousands of anchovies crabby patties.

You’re probably right about the yuppies and the art kids, I forget that the majority of them are the same thing in the multi-verse.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:22 pm Oh absolutely. That entire corner is about to evolve once more into something new. I am very curious to see what will replace that space.

On the flipside I worked for the Johnny Kaws conglomerate for a year back in 2018 and I remember when Brett acquired the Californos building. Does anyone know what’s going on with his “cowboy bar” I remember they released a trailer about a year ago with some photographs of an actual bar space that had been built, rumors of a mechanical bull, and combining the space with the current Yard Bar, only to increase capacity. Whatever happened to all that?
Haven't heard any updates but maybe he figured out it was a bad idea.
Fountains
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Fountains »

Noahfleshman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:25 am Harlings… I remember going there underage and the rooftop patio of theirs that seemed like it was falling off the building.

Thank you for answering my questions about Kaws, I felt like SpongeBob working there, in that episode where he has to make thousands of anchovies crabby patties.

You’re probably right about the yuppies and the art kids, I forget that the majority of them are the same thing in the multi-verse.
Oh Harlings.... I remmeber having to go up those long stairs up back that would literally shake because the wood was rotting & it felt like we could have fell through the floor at any moment. Drinks were strong and cheap twas a good time!
Fountains
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Fountains »

New ownership for Canary. Honestly the new concept sounds like a mess.
Noahfleshman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Noahfleshman »

No shit, their first concept was a flop, those people only care about money, they’re completely detached from what’s actually going on in Kansas City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Longtime Westport company James B. Nutter & Co. is shutting down permanently and selling off assets. I wonder what will happen to all their properties in "Nutterville?"

With asset sale pending, James B. Nutter & Co. will shut down operations

After 71 years in business, Kansas City-based James B. Nutter & Co. is winding down its mortgage operations and selling off all its assets.

On Oct. 20, Nutter Home Loans ceased originating new loans. A company spokesman said an asset sale is expected to close within the next few weeks. Most employees will be laid off. Nutter had 125 employees when it made the decision to shut down operations and now has 98.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-11-01

"Nutterville" location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0532633 ... a=!3m1!1e3
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:54 pm Longtime Westport company James B. Nutter & Co. is shutting down permanently and selling off assets. I wonder what will happen to all their properties in "Nutterville?"
I had the same question. Clearly those homes would be valuable if returned to residential use given their proximity to the streetcar and Old Westport.
taxi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:48 am
FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:54 pm Longtime Westport company James B. Nutter & Co. is shutting down permanently and selling off assets. I wonder what will happen to all their properties in "Nutterville?"
I had the same question. Clearly those homes would be valuable if returned to residential use given their proximity to the streetcar and Old Westport.
I think they are more valuable as commercial properties. Either way, their value will increase exponentially as the SC arrives.
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by grovester »

taxi wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:21 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:48 am
I think they are more valuable as commercial properties. Either way, their value will increase exponentially as the SC arrives.
Do you think they would be more valuable "as is" or are you referring to the land?
taxi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by taxi »

As is. They are all in great shape and occupied. It's a very cool little neighborhood and not all of it is owned by Nutter, but most is. The ones that are not are mostly residential.
normalthings
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by normalthings »

How tall can you build in this area? Would like to see it all get redeveloped
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

UMKC Roo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKC Roo »

Their prices were egregiously high
FlippantCitizen
New York Life
New York Life

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Bland concept, contrived menu. Not particularly good.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:43 pm Bland concept, contrived menu. Not particularly good.
And service was slow and TERRIBLE. The brewery did need a freshening up, but the seafood resto concept next door was an expensive misfire and I'm not sure the food warranted bringing a lot of it into Mickey's. It's a good location for the right place (please no Johnny Kaw's Patio!!).
Fountains
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Fountains »

Damn Sweet Siam closed. Westport is changing again.
FlippantCitizen
New York Life
New York Life

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Fountains wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:16 am Damn Sweet Siam closed. Westport is changing again.
Oh really? That was one of my favorite take out spots. Damn.