Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Westport

Post by earthling »

Downplaying Westport as an entertainment district and trending toward restaurants catering to 30+ would be a good start but keep the dive bars - ultimately fewer bars with 3AM licenses but still some. Don't block off the district late nights encouraging crowd gathering. Don't privatize the streets and work with City/KCPD to get more foot patrol after midnight on weekends, especially at the busy corners. ???
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What I want isn't relevant, am gone before midnight anyway. Personally would rather see area head back toward the counter-culture vibe rather than gentrified homogeneity however the latter is happening regardless. It would take a few years but if removing the 'entertainment district' aspect, thinning out bars that have 3AM licenses so not concentrated and targeting a somewhat older crowd, add foot patrol, it's not particularly an unrealistic approach. And then when streetcar is running through Midtown, maybe we'll see late night bars more dispersed and less concentrated on Westport.

Change identity, thin out 3AM licenses widely across Midtown rather than concentrated in WP, target a bit older.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Goonies wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:53 pm That's not going to stop anything that's just what you want because it suits your lifestyle lol
/gestures to the entire Westport thread/
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Allow for some 5 am and 7 am bars to slowly reduce the herd
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Goonies wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 pm A firetruck crashed into a building at Westport and Pennsylvania I cant tell what building it is because it's so destroyed
It’s the building that used to house Riot Room. Same building as The Bunker as well.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Part of building collapses in Midtown after being struck by Kansas City firetruck

https://fox4kc.com/news/part-of-buildin ... firetruck/
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

sad news on a scary wreck. Hate to see anyone die in wrecks, but especially around the holidays. Thoughts for the families of those involved.

Those dive bar live music venues have some bad Ju-ju I guess. Davey's Uptown had the fire, Hurricane/Riot Room has this awful accident & fire. They had already been closed but it is sad to know those places are gone. Hopefully some new places will carry on the traditions of those now gone venues
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

What do you all think of this plan for Westport?

https://cityscenekc.com/new-westport-ma ... sidewalks/

"A new master plan intended to guide the future development of Westport over the next 20 years proposes height restrictions along its primary streets, wider sidewalks and potential historic designations for nearby neighborhoods."

"Concerns over two large apartment developments, including the six-story Opus Development project being built at Westport Road and Broadway, launched the Westport master plan process"

"The new master plan recommends that sidewalks be widened and vehicle traffic lanes be restricted throughout much of Westport. It also suggests a public square to be developed at the intersection of Westport Road and Mill Street.

The plan calls for sidewalks along Westport Road from Southwest Trafficway to Baltimore be widened to 15 feet where possible and travel lanes remain at 10-feet. It recommends improved pedestrian amenities including trees, benches and trash receptacles."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

These plans do no good. They are always ignored anyway and overruled by the Council in the end.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Westport needs more height and density. Restricting density is a functional ban or limitation on development.

Area looks better with the OPUS project anyways
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:44 pm Westport needs more height and density. Restricting density is a functional ban or limitation on development.

Area looks better with the OPUS project anyways
The city put height restrictions on most of the empty plots of land in the area. Caved to “the neighborhood” and not likely to see any new developments with any height (besides those announced) for a long time.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Major arterial streets are where one should place taller buildings. You can mix newer, taller buildings among older, shorter historic buildings. If 6-7 story buildings are banned along artery streets (and the streetcar line) in Midtown, we are truly doomed.
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

The Westport plan allows for 10 story buildings along 43rd street and 6 story buildings along Broadway and Mill. The biggest impact is the 3 story limit along Westport road and Pennsylvania. This plan doesn’t impact the Main Street overlay district which allows for 10-15 story builds depending on the site. It ultimately allows for more density and a walkable, urban form throughout. It also tries to positively address the parking issues associated with traditional zoning plans. As far as neighborhood plans go it is pretty good.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:44 pm Area looks better with the OPUS project anyways
Yeah, agreed. I had to read over that twice and was confused who took a look at Opus and went “arghh, this is horrible!”

Also, who in the neighborhood doesn’t want more development? It’s just some apartments in Westport. It’s literally not hurting anyone.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:06 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:44 pm Area looks better with the OPUS project anyways
Yeah, agreed. I had to read over that twice and was confused who took a look at Opus and went “arghh, this is horrible!”

Also, who in the neighborhood doesn’t want more development? It’s just some apartments in Westport. It’s literally not hurting anyone.
The article you posted was from May 2019, before the opus project was constructed. I guess you didn't read that part twice. Another Collison repost, not news. Scroll back and you'll find it was discussed back then.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:11 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:06 pm

The article you posted was from May 2019, before the opus project was constructed. I guess you didn't read that part twice. Another Collison repost, not news. Scroll back and you'll find it was discussed back then.
I'm incredibly proud of you for discovering that. It's still irrelevant doesn't defeat the question I posed for it.
P.S.- wasn't on Rag before 2021.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Westport Saloon, Riot Room close. What's next for music?
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 27996.html

Toward the end of the article you'll find Bill Nigro, who yelled at people in public meetings who questioned giving away the Westport sidewalks, lamenting that Westport is "too restrictive" now. Amazing.
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

2022-2023 KCMO budget was released and contains a PIAC recommendation for funding the creation of the Westport Historical Overlay District.

I think development overlay districts like Main Street are great tools for fostering projects that support the urban environment. I fear a historic overlay created by Historic KC and the Westport Business League is the start of a death spiral for Westport (that’s a bit of hyperbole, but I don’t think it’s a good thing).
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Absolutely- all the clutter they put up to fortify the district looks horrible. Also, I'm all for shutting down Pennsylvania for outdoor seating, but using jersey barriers and chain link fences looks like prison. You'd think the business would use their CID money to beautify that stuff
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:01 pm Following up on this. Does anyone else think Westport currently looks like a huge eyesore?
Kind of. I'd say right now it's the most overrated part of the city. I think the Main Square around the new Taco Bell Cantina & Mickey's is good. But beyond that it's alot of empty lots and disconnected stores.