Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Westport

Post by daGOAT »

3931 Washington Av, backside of First Swedish Church, submitted a plan for new event space and Air BnB's on the upper floors.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

daGOAT wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:53 am 3931 Washington Av, backside of First Swedish Church, submitted a plan for new event space and Air BnB's on the upper floors.
Geez, I thought the recent glut of renos in the Crossroads would have saturated our market for "event spaces."
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

daGOAT wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:53 am 3931 Washington Av, backside of First Swedish Church, submitted a plan for new event space and Air BnB's on the upper floors.
Johnny Kaw's Shothouse and Flophouse
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Couldn't find this info anywhere but the old 816 Hotel is scheduled to become Hotel Westport, a Tapestry Collection by Hilton, some time in late July.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Doesn't sound like they'll overhaul the place if opening that soon. Seems like it needs a major makeover.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:56 am Doesn't sound like they'll overhaul the place if opening that soon. Seems like it needs a major makeover.
I believe they’ve been renovating rooms for a few months now, so some work has been going on. Curb appeal isn’t the best.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Goonies wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:50 pm Haus was PACKED last night. Good to see some life back I'm Westport.
Agreed. I really like that place.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Komatsu Ramen has closed, the ramen bubble seems to be bursting, there are only a few left now
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:23 pm Komatsu Ramen has closed, the ramen bubble seems to be bursting, there are only a few left now
This is an outrage! The ramen bubble should never burst.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Korean is 'in' now to the point of mainstream.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

That’s a bummer Komatsu was good. It had a nice run. Curious to see what goes in its place. But I feel there will be some new replacement soon to pop up. Either strictly ramen or some kind of sushi/ramen place. Japanese cuisine is still popular.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What's going in the old Gojo's place? They've torn out large sections of the brick and look to be making a rooftop stairs entrance.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes Beauty, I want to know that too.
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

According to Compass permits, at least a portion of it is going to be a retail shop. No idea what though.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

With the plywood huts inside? Yes.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

W/r/t that section of Broadway, it just seems generally cursed. It's awkwardly separated from the rest of Westport.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

And whatever happened to the hotel planned for the parking lot behind? After this long I assume it's a no-go.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:42 pm What's going in the old Gojo's place? They've torn out large sections of the brick and look to be making a rooftop stairs entrance.
Kevin Collison is reporting that a decorative lighting store is taking over the former Gojo space.
Circa Lighting, a decorative lighting and ceiling fan retail store founded in Savannah, Georgia, will be occupying the former Gojo Japaneses Steak House space on Broadway near Westport.
Kaufman said the building renovation is expected to be completed in July and the new store may be open by the holiday season.
https://cityscenekc.com/decorative-ligh ... luaus0aeA
mfhayes
Surface Lot

Post by mfhayes »

On Saturday I dropped by Tin Roof (Nashville live music bar) that opened last week. It was completely packed with people having a great time and dancing. Between this and Fountain Haus, Westport feels very lively again.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I was expecting Tin Roof to be an epic failure because it's a country bar in Westport and people from lees summit would not want to come