Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Westport

Post by FangKC »

Longtime Westport company James B. Nutter & Co. is shutting down permanently and selling off assets. I wonder what will happen to all their properties in "Nutterville?"

With asset sale pending, James B. Nutter & Co. will shut down operations

After 71 years in business, Kansas City-based James B. Nutter & Co. is winding down its mortgage operations and selling off all its assets.

On Oct. 20, Nutter Home Loans ceased originating new loans. A company spokesman said an asset sale is expected to close within the next few weeks. Most employees will be laid off. Nutter had 125 employees when it made the decision to shut down operations and now has 98.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-11-01

"Nutterville" location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0532633 ... a=!3m1!1e3
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:54 pm Longtime Westport company James B. Nutter & Co. is shutting down permanently and selling off assets. I wonder what will happen to all their properties in "Nutterville?"
I had the same question. Clearly those homes would be valuable if returned to residential use given their proximity to the streetcar and Old Westport.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:48 am
FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:54 pm Longtime Westport company James B. Nutter & Co. is shutting down permanently and selling off assets. I wonder what will happen to all their properties in "Nutterville?"
I had the same question. Clearly those homes would be valuable if returned to residential use given their proximity to the streetcar and Old Westport.
I think they are more valuable as commercial properties. Either way, their value will increase exponentially as the SC arrives.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

taxi wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:21 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:48 am
I think they are more valuable as commercial properties. Either way, their value will increase exponentially as the SC arrives.
Do you think they would be more valuable "as is" or are you referring to the land?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

As is. They are all in great shape and occupied. It's a very cool little neighborhood and not all of it is owned by Nutter, but most is. The ones that are not are mostly residential.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

How tall can you build in this area? Would like to see it all get redeveloped
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Their prices were egregiously high
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Bland concept, contrived menu. Not particularly good.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:43 pm Bland concept, contrived menu. Not particularly good.
And service was slow and TERRIBLE. The brewery did need a freshening up, but the seafood resto concept next door was an expensive misfire and I'm not sure the food warranted bringing a lot of it into Mickey's. It's a good location for the right place (please no Johnny Kaw's Patio!!).
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Fountains wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:16 am Damn Sweet Siam closed. Westport is changing again.
Oh really? That was one of my favorite take out spots. Damn.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Fountains wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:16 am Damn Sweet Siam closed. Westport is changing again.
WHAT?!? STFU!!! That sucks. We just had dinner there like two weeks ago and while short staffed that night, it was really good food. This makes me sad.
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by marieantoinette »

Westport working with KC Water to address flooding issues... Could be a gamechanger for Mill Street.

https://westportkcmo.com/events/other/p ... ec-6-2022/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Port Fonda closing for good 12/18
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:38 pm Port Fonda closing for good 12/18
I believe they’re owned by the same group that just shut Mickey’s down
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Plaza-itis
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It used to be that if you wanted to have a stable business in the urban core you were in a few pocket locations: Westport, the Plaza and Brookside. Rents and costs reflected this. I think now you’re seeing the market expand. People are willing to venture to the Westside or Crossroads or Crestwood or Troost. You’re seeing the advancement of the urban market in Kansas City. Rents will have to reflect a changing market. Seeing some retail locations die to spread and diversify the entire area is a great thing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They need to continue building more apartments around the Old Westport core. Businesses there need to serve the neighborhood customer base as well as visitors. There are several parcels that can be built on. Is that proposed new apartment building on top of the Westport Manor Square garage dead?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:23 am It used to be that if you wanted to have a stable business in the urban core you were in a few pocket locations: Westport, the Plaza and Brookside. Rents and costs reflected this. I think now you’re seeing the market expand. People are willing to venture to the Westside or Crossroads or Crestwood or Troost. You’re seeing the advancement of the urban market in Kansas City. Rents will have to reflect a changing market. Seeing some retail locations die to spread and diversify the entire area is a great thing.
This is a very good point and I also think the suburbs are catching up to the urban core as well from an urban/walkability standpoint. The Iron District, Screenland and Breweries in North KC have a sense of Urbanism to them. KCK in the Strawberry Hill/Central Ave area is becoming a great urban node with an amazing collection of dive bars and ethnic restaurants that we frequent quite often. Downtown OP has a great food hall and a very good farmers market, Lenexa has the City Center, Downtown Shawnee is really cute with breweries, cocktail bar, shops and restaurants. All these areas are building apartments.

The suburbs are catching up to the city really quickly and you don't have the city issues like late night shootings, crummy roads, being asked for money, getting car broken into, hard to find parking (for a suburban person). The one thing that helps Westport is the concentration of bars and a decent collection of hotels in close proximity.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The main urban core districts need more mixed use neighborhood balance...
Westport - needs more residential within, fewer party bars
CBD - could use some chain retail (small Target, a few chain clothing/mall stores)
Xroads - of course fill in surface lots with mainly more residential
RM - the most complete district in KC, is nearly what it should be after filling in the few remaining lots
Plaza - residential within, a few specialty counter eats, small grocery or upscale bodega, more quaint small restaurants, a tad few less mall stores and mega chain restaurants but enough to maintain a regional draw.