Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Westport

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree, that a good comedy club returning to Westport would be great. I enjoy Westport, & loved the scene when I was in my 20’s-30’s. I still enjoy going there to dine with my family & let the kids experience the area. Those visits with family end by 10pm & when I’m out with friends typically call it a night by midnight 1am these days. I’ve never had issues but know they happen. With more residential coming to the area I can see Westport Evolving a little more. It will change as patrons change. I’m
Not doing anything to evoke change just sharing an opinion.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Taco Bell Cantina Ringing Soon in Westport
Taco Bell’s spiced up “Cantina” concept is coming to Westport, which means you’ll be able to have a beer with your bean burrito and, if turns out to be like the one in Nashville, listen to live music.

Work is underway for a 2,500 square-foot Taco Bell Cantina at the southeast corner of Broadway and Westport Road in the Westley apartment development. It’s the first commercial tenant for the 256-unit apartment project that opened last year.
Upstairs, the luxury Westley on Broadway project has leased up well and is 90 percent occupied. The development also includes 10,000 square-feet of retail space, with Taco Bell now occupying one-quarter of that.
https://cityscenekc.com/taco-bell-canti ... -westport/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I don't go to Westport too often, but I really wish we could shift the crowds/bars it gets to downtown. The streetcar might help alleviate this some with the connectivity. Idk if the term is "bar sprawl" but it would be awesome to have all of what Westport has really adjacent to P&L instead of making people have to choose whether they want to go P&L or Westport for the weekend night. And again, the streetcar will help, because you could conceivably go to both downtown and Westport in a night now without having to drive. But it would be even better if we could just shift those big crowds downtown instead. Probably would end up with even more bars total if we did.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:52 pm I don't go to Westport too often, but I really wish we could shift the crowds/bars it gets to downtown. The streetcar might help alleviate this some with the connectivity. Idk if the term is "bar sprawl" but it would be awesome to have all of what Westport has really adjacent to P&L instead of making people have to choose whether they want to go P&L or Westport for the weekend night. And again, the streetcar will help, because you could conceivably go to both downtown and Westport in a night now without having to drive. But it would be even better if we could just shift those big crowds downtown instead. Probably would end up with even more bars total if we did.
I bet a tiny percentage of their customers could get home by streetcar and it won't helps as much as one would expect.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:52 pm I don't go to Westport too often, but I really wish we could shift the crowds/bars it gets to downtown. The streetcar might help alleviate this some with the connectivity. Idk if the term is "bar sprawl" but it would be awesome to have all of what Westport has really adjacent to P&L instead of making people have to choose whether they want to go P&L or Westport for the weekend night. And again, the streetcar will help, because you could conceivably go to both downtown and Westport in a night now without having to drive. But it would be even better if we could just shift those big crowds downtown instead. Probably would end up with even more bars total if we did.
I’m not sure how excited the downtown neighborhoods would be to have to work with some of the current Westport tenants. I’ll take all their good restaurants though and they can keep the clubs. ;)

In seriousness, I think Westport should focus on going their own issues as a neighborhood in order and downtown should continue with our own organic growth.

As you said, the streetcar will connect them and each can keep their own destructive culture, for better and for worse.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

P&L is more of a "tourist spot" and typically always has been. It started with almost all exclusively chains, and a few local spots and it has morphed over time, especially as things grew around it you get a nice mix of local and chains in the P&L and downtown area. Perhaps one of the Johnny Kaw concepts would do well in P&L to offer more of party bar, but you have a few concepts like that there already. But honestly P&L has a nice mix, it's just kind of a tourist feel to it at times, especially if you are from KC and know you can get out and explore other areas like Cross Roads, Westport, W.39th St area, Brookside, and Waldo. Local will let the 20 somethings and conventioneers dominate P&L while we go to some other "hidden gems" if you will outside of that area. P&L does great at hosting watch parties and such and serves as a good focal point for KC area events that bring out the locals for sure. Westport used to be that but it has shifted to P&L. But Westport still holds it own. I'd love for Westport to really brand itself better. Even put up a big signage at Broadway & Westport Rd like they Have with the City Market and other district/neighborhood areas across the US. Or really give the whole neighborhood more of that distinct feel, like you entered something unique. But I'd say do that for each of these neighborhoods with strong entertainment/dining/bar centric areas
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Westport businesses have said that they want to be more like P&L, to get a piece of the money that flows into downtown. This isn't new information. If there is a common business strategy over the last several years, you could sum it up as "be more like P&L" - including the demographic mix of patrons.

So change is probably going to happen regardless.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Would expect as more residential builds up within Westport, the business model will adapt.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Westport Terrace if it ever gets going could be a transformative project to have that many residents and hotel guests within Westport.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:21 pm ^Would expect as more residential builds up within Westport, the business model will adapt.
If they allow it!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:21 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:32 pm Westport Terrace if it ever gets going could be a transformative project to have that many residents and hotel guests within Westport.
I thought that thing was pretty much passed?
design was approved but it may be a long haul to actually get it built.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

flyingember wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:50 am
I bet a tiny percentage of their customers could get home by streetcar and it won't helps as much as one would expect.
It’s not about getting home, it’s so that the streetcar can take people between PNL and Westport in the same night, instead of having to Uber or choose between one or the other.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:18 pm
It’s not about getting home, it’s so that the streetcar can take people between PNL and Westport in the same night, instead of having to Uber or choose between one or the other.
I agree with this. Setting up obvious dedicated ride share pick locations will be important too. But I think you build with the assumption everyone will be Ubering home and taking public transport or Uber between places.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:26 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:24 pm
Goonies wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:21 pm

I thought that thing was pretty much passed?
design was approved but it may be a long haul to actually get it built.
What's the issue with getting it built?
Financing, demand, etc. Action Pact does not seem to be able to move big things along.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:18 pm
Still likely a tiny number of people.
Why would someone stumble drunk to the train so they can go drink somewhere else 25 blocks away when they’re already at one location that’s full of bars?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:26 am Why would someone stumble drunk to the train so they can go drink somewhere else 25 blocks away when they’re already at one location that’s full of bars?
Never underestimate men looking for ladies.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And city-wide pub crawls are specifically designed for it. Was on KC's Jazz Pub Crawl committee years ago (as only GenXr). Was a major KC event at the time. Bars not playing jazz wanted to participate, booking a borderline blue/jazz band just to get in. Could see streetcar pub crawls develop at some point for better/worse.

The unadventurous don't get it but it can become a thing if managed properly, and those who don't like the structure/crowds will any other day be able to crawl on their own more easily across urban core districts, fare free integrated into the sidewalk - something nearly every city can't offer.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks like Guy's Snacks is taking over the Joe's Pizza counter space, keeping the same Joe's pizza recipe and adding deli sammies and their snacks.

I can't find it but read a couple months ago in a restaurant trade rag that the future of some restaurants may have some reliance on non-restaurant corporate collaboration/sponsorship or from nearby biz on block, which is somewhat similar to what's happening with Joe's. Pre-1980's, top chef driven restaurants often tended to be sponsored/managed by hotels. By the 80s chefs were able to get their own loans and run their own restaurants. We may head back to various forms of this depending on how the pandemic/inflation/labor dust settles, maybe to some degree anyway.

Will be interesting to see if Guy's expands to other troubling local restaurants, like say if Planet Sub or Pickleman's were in trouble. Keep the restaurants propped up and exchange in Guy's snacks - either through acquisition or equity fueled investment/collaboration.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Goonies wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:41 am Interesting

https://fox4kc.com/business/first-look- ... -westport/
This will put a serious dent in Missie B's business.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

3 people shot overnight, 1 killed. Took place at Westport and broadway, & broadway and archibald.