Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Westport

Post by Metro »

Its a shame that pride painting on Broadway was cool but after a few days it looks like everything else in Westport- dirty and worn out
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Metro wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:26 pm Its a shame that pride painting on Broadway was cool but after a few days it looks like everything else in Westport- dirty and worn out
I figured that would happen since they didn't use thermoplastic.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Metro wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:26 pm Its a shame that pride painting on Broadway was cool but after a few days it looks like everything else in Westport- dirty and worn out
Can we just stop painting stuff on roads already?! That "mural" closed a major midtown road when almost every single other one has construction on it already. For what?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:07 pm
Can we just stop painting stuff on roads already?! That "mural" closed a major midtown road when almost every single other one has construction on it already. For what?
Sure but I thought it was pretty neat and colorful.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Metro wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:55 pm Sure but I thought it was pretty neat and colorful.
For literally a day. They painted it for three days, took a picture, opened the road and it was ruined in an hour. It will look terrible for years. Just leave the roads alone.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Would be much better as a mural on a blank wall, It would last a lot longer and be visible.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KC_Ari wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:27 pm Would be much better as a mural on a blank wall, It would last a lot longer and be visible.
Absolutely this
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Found this on Compass. I couldn't find if this has been reported yet, but a boutique hotel in Westport was applied for in April:

"Repurposing a historically significant, contributing building from office space to a 13-unit boutique hotel above existing first level commercial space in the heart of Westport. Our goal is to renovate and rehab only the existing second and third floor and turn it into a Boutique Hotel, and leave the existing commercial ground floor as it currently exists. Through our project, we hope to bring more tourism to Westport, showcase the architecture and history of the town, and bring the best out of the community. This high-end hotel will be run purely as a hotel, with singular space per bedroom (one bed and bathroom per room), typical of a regular hotel room. We are exploring the possibility of creating an semi-private terrace for hotel patrons above the existing roof of level 1, above what is currently Brix."

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b8cc3bac52
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:08 pm Found this on Compass. I couldn't find if this has been reported yet, but a boutique hotel in Westport was applied for in April:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b8cc3bac52
Building in question

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

That would be awesome. I can't believe those upper floors are just sitting empty right now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I always assumed there were apartments up there.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

That's where the cigar shop/Brix restaurant are. Interesting place for a little hotel suppose it could work though
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^Back in the 1990s this was a high-end Eurotrash "fashionista" store. Similar to Riccardi in Boston or what Hall's tried to do with "The Bridge." [Something] hardware IIRC was the name -- the project of the son of a nearby retailer who sold fancy imported fixtures and other bath/ kitchen/ lighting hardware (not Pride's). Cannot remember all the details now.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Loma Vista?
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Todd was the guy who owned Loma Vista he sold skateboards too.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Wasn't Loma Vista at 311 W. Wesport Rd. in the building that was formerly Broadway Hardware? If you check Google maps streeview and go to the 2007 view, you can see the liquidation sale for skateboards. Also, a search for "Loma Vista Hardware Kansas City" returns a listing at that address, though permanently closed.

The sad thing here is that between 2019 and 2021 the beautiful blade sign for Broadway Hardware was removed. Looks like neon, so maybe it's in Lumi?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i got my first pair of doc martens at loma vista hardware when it was upstairs in that building on westport road near where 303 is now (if memory serves). this would have been about 1994? prior to that, they sold clothes and skateboards in the loma vista hardware store in the loma vista shopping center near 87th and blue ridge.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That was the last time ever I was in that neighborhood for any reason. That part of town really has devolved.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

4149 Pennsylvania Avenue, Suite 102 is to become a Cereal Bar.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... =locations
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

As in you go to this place and have a bowl of cereal? Interesting...