Population Study

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Population Study

Post by OPIchabod »

I ran across this study on the Star's Prime Buzz site:

The study looks at Missouri's population by 2030, estimated to exceed 6 million.

http://www.oa.mo.gov/bp/projections/
Indecision is the root of evil.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Population Study

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Interesting.
Jackson up 50K
Clay up 216k
Platte up 41k
Cass up 54k

They probably have no projections for cities, those numbers would be interesting.  Jackson would still be the powerhouse in the area (on the Mo side).  And as the KCMO population increases north of the river how will that affect the politics throughout the city?  You just might see the 1st and 2nd districts contained completely north of the river with another district taking in some northland voters.  I can just see the dynamics now.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

The article says the majority of growth in Missouri will be from retiree's.  That being said I think area's that retiree's locate is understated.  Mainly south central and southwest MO.  I also think they underestimate the effect of immigration.  Missouri will have 7+ million by 2030 and that's conservative.  Missouri the past few decades has followed the trends of Tennessee not the midwest.
Last edited by ShowME on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I'm very curious to see the power in city hall shift from the urban core, to the more suburban areas of the city. I just hope that those people in the Northland have the same commitment to downtown and the urban core even though they don't live there.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When you think about it, it's really mind-boggling that New York City has more people (8 million) than Missouri does. And that's just the city, I'm not counting the MSA population.
There is no fifth destination.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

FangKC wrote: When you think about it, it's really mind-boggling that New York City has more people (8 million) than Missouri does. And that's just the city, I'm not counting the MSA population.
It is mind boggling. I believe the population of Queens alone is higher than the entire state of Kansas. However you could also note that the population of Jackson County is higher than all of Alaska.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

FangKC wrote: When you think about it, it's really mind-boggling that New York City has more people (8 million) than Missouri does. And that's just the city, I'm not counting the MSA population.
And all crammed into a little less land area than KCMO.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCK wrote: I'm very curious to see the power in city hall shift from the urban core, to the more suburban areas of the city. I just hope that those people in the Northland have the same commitment to downtown and the urban core even though they don't live there.
Most of the "powers that be" already live outside the urban core.  Cleaver was the only mayor in recent memory that didn't live in the Southwest Corridor (South Plaza, Ward Parkway, Brookside, etc).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've been told that former mayor berkeley claimed a KCMO address but actually had a primary residence in mission hills.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: i've been told that former mayor berkeley claimed a KCMO address but actually had a primary residence in mission hills.
That's in the realm of urban legend/b.s..

The pseudo-mayor has lived off Ward Parkway since Hector was a pup.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: i've been told that former mayor berkeley claimed a KCMO address but actually had a primary residence in mission hills.
I've heard that too :(