OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:55 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:44 pm Does Copaken control the cc one as well???

If so, Copaken controls the 3 major office tower sites currently approved. That seems not conducive to development
Land squatters.
I'm pretty sick of it
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:41 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:44 pm Does Copaken control the cc one as well???

If so, Copaken controls the 3 major office tower sites currently approved. That seems not conducive to development
Land squatters.
I'm pretty sick of it
That’s capitalism. If they’re willing to pay the carrying costs of the property it’s 100% moral
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:41 pm

Land squatters.
I'm pretty sick of it
I feel like most posters would be upset if someone proposed a 2 floor building. Can’t have it both ways.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Who would ever wanna go with that “CC” building over Strata? Strata is a significantly better building and location. Could probably get offices to lease out there easily compared to the other one.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Lots of potential reasons

Owner occupied vs leasing
View
Floor Plate Sizes
Parking Ratio
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:08 pmI feel like most posters would be upset if someone proposed a 2 floor building. Can’t have it both ways.
I, for one, would be delighted with having dozens of solid blocks of two story buildings in place of the seas of suface lots we have presently
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:22 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:08 pmI feel like most posters would be upset if someone proposed a 2 floor building. Can’t have it both ways.
I, for one, would be delighted with having dozens of solid blocks of two story buildings in place of the seas of suface lots we have presently
Same, especially if they were built with the ability to build on top. I mean pnl is mostly two stories
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:20 pm Lots of potential reasons

Owner occupied vs leasing
View
Floor Plate Sizes
Parking Ratio
It goes way beyond that.

Number of floors you have to locate on for a certain amount of space and can you gain a partial floor?
Can you cut a hole between floors and add stairs?

What services come with the building. Like if you need access to dedicated basement storage and a dock for a large freight truck regularly is it there? If you mail out hundreds of thousands of letters monthly you need pallets of paper and the space to keep them. Things like there being someone that lets delivery drivers onto your floor or offers a fedex dropoff point for the whole building with daily pickup in the cost

Who manages the access system and if it's combined with the garage access. Some garage systems are junk, the Crown Center garage tenant system is absolutely horrible. Edge cases, does the building offer valet service or electric car charging in the garage?

Is the garage open to the public or entirely private. How is it secured after hours? There's some garages that have full doors and others have lift gates you can walk around. Actually securing a building on the weekend could be important to some tenants.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:36 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:22 pm
Same, especially if they were built with the ability to build on top. I mean pnl is mostly two stories
Most of P&L started over 2 stories. maybe 1/3 was at that scale

The first block at Grand is an 8 story garage
the next block with Consentino's has a tower and a three story building and garage
the next one over is the midland

the KC live block is a mix or two and three stories tall
then there's the block with H&R block and the rep, both over two stories
then a two story retail space that has a building planned on top of it
and the president hotel
finally, not strictly in P&L, is the P&L residential

the southernmost block is two stories of retail next to the light buildings
followed by the theatre, over two stories with a building planned surrounding it.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Are we still on for the "If Waddell Reed building leases very quickly it will prompt Strata to get built"?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:39 pm Are we still on for the "If Waddell Reed building leases very quickly it will prompt Strata to get built"?
I question the design of Strata and Copakens ability to get things built without a partner driving.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the building at 13th and Wyandotte will get built before Strata.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Status updated yesterday for Strata project, planning/schematics...
https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... ing-garage
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:42 pm Status updated yesterday for Strata project, planning/schematics...
https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... ing-garage
Are they looking to be the next spec office after 1400KC gets filled here soon?

Also, I thought there was some conflict on some other building Cordish or somebody wanted to take this spot for
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It may not mean forward momentum but at least it's not shown as cancelled. That site charges a pretty penny for data and keeps on top of projects that are delayed or cancelled. Strata devs may have just updated schematics but still waiting for financing and planets to align, etc.

Anyone able to dig in further?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:46 pm It may not mean forward momentum but at least it's not shown as cancelled. That site charges a pretty penny for data and keeps on top of projects that are delayed or cancelled. Strata devs may have just updated schematics but still waiting for financing and planets to align, etc.

They can't get financing until they have a tenant. I'm not optimistic about this at all.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:22 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:46 pm It may not mean forward momentum but at least it's not shown as cancelled. That site charges a pretty penny for data and keeps on top of projects that are delayed or cancelled. Strata devs may have just updated schematics but still waiting for financing and planets to align, etc.

They can't get financing until they have a tenant. I'm not optimistic about this at all.
Doesn’t Cordish want this site for a tower?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:50 pm

Cordish wants the rights back. Doesn't mean they're going to finance anything.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

They will be happy to take it if it becomes available again. The deal with the city gave HR air rights for ten years which they extended. They were given that based on the idea they would build tower #2. I'm not sure how in the hell it got approved for them to partner with another developer to build a spec office building they have no intention of occupying. Wish I could see the exact language in the original agreement.

No secret I'm a Cordish fan but I know they'd have something going vertical by now had HR not pulled this move.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:31 pm

They will be happy to take it if it becomes available again. The deal with the city gave HR air rights for ten years which they extended. They were given that based on the idea they would build tower #2. I'm not sure how in the hell it got approved for them to partner with another developer to build a spec office building they have no intention of occupying. Wish I could see the exact language in the original agreement.

No secret I'm a Cordish fan but I know they'd have something going vertical by now had HR not pulled this move.
Hard to believe when 3 Light was pushed back many years and 4 Light is yet to be announced