OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:04 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:31 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:50 pm

Doesn’t Cordish want this site for a tower?
They will be happy to take it if it becomes available again. The deal with the city gave HR air rights for ten years which they extended. They were given that based on the idea they would build tower #2. I'm not sure how in the hell it got approved for them to partner with another developer to build a spec office building they have no intention of occupying. Wish I could see the exact language in the original agreement.

No secret I'm a Cordish fan but I know they'd have something going vertical by now had HR not pulled this move.
Hard to believe when 3 Light was pushed back many years and 4 Light is yet to be announced
Oh he was serious? I thought it was a funny.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:50 pm

Doesn’t Cordish want this site for a tower?
They will be happy to take it if it becomes available again. The deal with the city gave HR air rights for ten years which they extended. They were given that based on the idea they would build tower #2. I'm not sure how in the hell it got approved for them to partner with another developer to build a spec office building they have no intention of occupying. Wish I could see the exact language in the original agreement.

No secret I'm a Cordish fan but I know they'd have something going vertical by now had HR not pulled this move.
Hard to believe when 3 Light was pushed back many years and 4 Light is yet to be announced
It wasn't going to be residential and I think it's common knowledge what set 3L back. It wasn't the developer stalling or dragging their feet.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:17 pm

It wasn't going to be residential and I think it's common knowledge what set 3L back. It wasn't the developer stalling or dragging their feet.
Cordish has other sites they can build hotel, office, etc on but haven't. I remember the hotel at strata site rumors and there is a legitimate rendering online of a Cordish tower there.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:48 pm

Oh he was serious? I thought it was a funny.
I mean what do I know right! I'm just here for the jokes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just messing around DC! I thought about 3L and 4L when you posted that too. Nobody says it's easy.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:18 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:17 pm
Cordish has other sites they can build hotel, office, etc on but haven't. I remember the hotel at strata site rumors and there is a legitimate rendering online of a Cordish tower there.
Well, when you have firm plans to build something, do the work expecting the project to happen and even start prep only to find out HR (a tax company, not a developer or landlord) partnered with a developer and decided to get into the landlord game. It kind of causes a mess.

The other sites have been marked for residential or residential/hotel combo. There's only one site that makes sense as a full on hotel or office building.

At this point, I just wish someone would do something. It's hard to lease the empty spaces in that block when there's looming construction and mass inconveniences.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Strata is 100% dead
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:53 pm Strata is 100% dead
^^^ marked for future reference.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

It seemed too good to be true.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Is Cordish still interested in this site? Do we need to wait until HR Block's air rights expire? When exactly does that happen again?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:20 pm
It seemed too good to be true.
It’s possible something else is in the works but Strata is dead
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

didn't someone else post in another thread it was back, or it had legs? I'm so confused, but not surprised
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:55 pm It’s possible something else is in the works but Strata is dead
Rebranding as “Biscuits and Gravy” or “Grandslam Breakfast.” Sorry…Friday happy hour beer-driven response. (I’m not the only one that thinks about the egg casserole when I hear strata right?).

I’m with Roo in this. Would have been great but I just don’t trust Copaken to build without announcing a tenant at the same time.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Copaken should stick to residential since that seems to be the only thing they can do as promised. They may have their moment in the past with office towers, but not it seems like residential is their go-to. Just stick with that. I’m sure the longterm return is better and less risky that office.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

CM interview states this will be a Cordish residential project.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Imagine my shock.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

you'd think eventually there would be some businesses wanting to be by the people downtown. What get's us more action downtown, I'm all for it
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Unfortunately, downtown has grown from something like .5% to 1.3% of the metro population. "The people" still live in JoCo and progressively farther south.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:28 pm Unfortunately, downtown has grown from something like .5% to 1.3% of the metro population. "The people" still live in JoCo and progressively farther south.
Downtown/KCMO proper is heavily catching up in population growth rate now though. In the last census JoCo growth rate dropped to 12% -- they'd always been in the 20's before. Many young professionals live downtown, and I think they're finding it's much easier to attract talent there than to a suburb.